Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbertKornfeld View Post
This. I just bought Twilight Zone, the pro version actually, just as I’ve bought every other table in this collection. I got it the second it became available. So when I say what I’m about to say, don’t confuse me for a hater.

I just played my first game of Twilight Zone. This wasn’t my first game of this table in Pinball Arcade, mind you, this was the first time I’ve ever played this table, anywhere. I got a multiball on my first ball, and before the end of the game, I had unlocked three of the five “Standard Goals”. I had no idea what I was doing, I was just trying to keep the ball in play.

It was fun, and I’ll surely play it loads more, but after that first game, I went back to the best pinball table on iOS, the one that’s been occupying my time for the last week. I went back to Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot. [App Store] [AppShopper] [Developer’s Site]

It’s a brand new table from a bunch of pinball newbies, but it’s more fun than anything in Pinball Arcade or Zen Pinball, at least to me. After playing Rob-O-Bot for the last week, playing Pinball Arcade again felt like everything was in slow motion. It feels super floaty now, and unrealistic. Rob-O-Bot, on the other hand, it feels more natural. The ball moves quickly, and it just feels right.

And speaking of the difficulty, that’s another point in Rob-O-Bot’s favor. Like I said, I’ve been playing that table off and on for a week. On Game Center, as user “jhamdotme”, I used to have the third highest score. I’ve fallen to seventh, lately, as more people have been playing, but despite this, I’ve never seen a multiball. It’s in there, I know it’s possible. I’ve seen it in the trailer. But instead of just getting it from blind luck, on my very first ball no less, it’s something that I’m going to have to earn. I’ve completed four of the five missions several times, but I’ve never quite finished the fifth. When I do, I’ll get that multiball, presumably, and it’ll be sweet.

Twilight Zone is no doubt the better designed table, I’m not arguing this. In time, as Farsight tweaks their engine, I’ll maybe even prefer it to Rob-O-Bot. I hope that this is something that they’re working on, because with a free update it’ll instantly make all of the tables I’ve bought, on both iOS and on the PlayStation, that much better than they already are. But right now, I prefer how the ball moves in Rob-O-Bot, and that’s what makes it more fun to me.

So should you not get Twilight Zone? No, of course not. You should definitely get it, and every other table that they make, on every system that you have. But here’s my advice. If you were going to get the Pro version of Twilight Zone, maybe just get the regular version. With the $3 that you’ll save, buy yourself Rob-O-Bot, instead. You’ll have more fun with this upstart new pinball table than you will playing around with the “Pro” features, and as an added bonus, you’ll have saved yourself a penny. Win win.

PS Touch Arcade moderators, why no front page love for the best new pinball table in the App Store? In the last week, you’ve given front-page coverage to Monster Pinball HD and to a crappy year-old table from Gameprom. Rob-O-Bot is worthy. Just give it a try. You’ll like it, honest. But if you’re still not convinced, read some of the fawning praise here at Touch Arcade or over at the Pinball Arcade Fans forum. I want more tables from these guys, so please, buy their game and make them rich.

Excellent post. I love Pinball Arcade, but I think the criticisms are on the mark.

And Rob-o-Bot is great.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
It’s a brand new table from a bunch of pinball newbies
It's actually their fourth pinball game for iOS

As it blows away their other pinball tables, I wouldn't exactly call them 'newbies'
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsound View Post
It's actually their fourth pinball game for iOS
Not true. It’s the first table from Color Monkey. The other tables were designed by NENA, the developers of the pinball engine. Those three aren’t anywhere near as good, like you mentioned, and you shouldn’t use those to judge the quality of Rob-O-Bot. They’re night and day different.

For whatever reason, they published Rob-O-Bot under NENA’s name. This was a mistake, I think. My guess is that they’re losing out on sales from people who are trying the “lite” versions of NENA’s tables before deciding to plunk down the couple bucks for Rob-O-Bot. Don’t make this same mistake.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM
iPad 2

Quote:
It was fun, and I’ll surely play it loads more, but after that first game, I went back to the best pinball table on iOS, the one that’s been occupying my time for the last week. I went back to Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot. [App Store] [AppShopper] [Developer’s Site]
I say Last Gladiator is the best table on IOS but that's not exactly fair since it was once a $50 Sega Saturn game.

I haven't played Robo bot but I tried Nene's other games they were fun but dont feel very realistic.

Last edited by 99c_gamer; 11-30-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

What do you get with the paid version of the app that you don't with the free version?

Also, how does it run on a 4th gen iPod touch?

Last edited by fenderbendr; 11-30-2012 at 07:30 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbendr View Post
What do you get with the paid version of the app that you don't with the free version?
The Tales of the Arabian Nights table. (Still one of my favorites in the app!)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM
iPod Touch (1st Gen)

Just want to say I agree very strongly with Bohemian and Herbert.

I get the most pronounced difference with Funhouse. Played it for many years in arcades.

Real World: Average roughly 3 mil. Best 27 mil.

Pinball Arcade: FIRST GAME 45 mil. Average 30 mil. Best 77 mil (got bored and let the last ball drain)

Rob-O-Bot it's tougher and the lighting is much better. Also I have some faith that bugs will be fixed as time goes by (Pinball Arcade new versions generally mean more bugs.) So I'm with HerbertKornfeld: it might not have as good a layout as the top real world games but for now Rob is iOS pin boss.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99c_gamer View Post
I haven't played Robo bot but I tried Nene's other games they were fun but dont feel very realistic.
There are WORLDS between the Robo table (partly from the guys who actually NAILED ball physics with the early iOS Labyrinth masterpieces) and the other very crappy Nena tables. Get ROTR... it's amazing.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Boy, on the Twilight Zone table the ball sure gets stuck under the upper right flipper a lot. Does that happen on the physical table too?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
The Tales of the Arabian Nights table. (Still one of my favorites in the app!)
I bought it and I really like the Arabian Nights table. It runs pretty well on my 4th gen.

Can you try a table before you buy it? Are the pro versions worth it? If I were to get another table, which should it be?

Sorry for all the questions. Lol

Last edited by fenderbendr; 11-30-2012 at 09:25 PM..