Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
gameloft also, to my knowledge, has never removed an app from the store. I think the original asphalt might be available for dl. I've long boycotted glu not only for their pricing methods, but the way they have bought some small studios responsible for great games (they bought the small team that made the spyro the dragon series, for example), pulled their apps off of the store, and often shuttered the studios completely.
SPYRO WAS ON THE APPSTORE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Damnation and hellfire to glu!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

The problem with this is that those who would go along with it are those who don't download their games to begin with.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
The creators of spyro had apps and they got pulled.
They made Glyder 1 and 2, which were two of the most ambitious and polished games of their time. Sadly, not only were they removed from the app store, but they do not work with current OS. To be fair to Glu, the games never sold as well as they should have, so it's not surprising that the studio got shuttered.

Frankly, these kinds of boycotts never work. I think it's okay to choose who you want to do business with, but if your goal is to change their behavior it just won't work. As has already been mentioned, the freemium system is far more profitable -- don't be surprises if it comes to consoles in the near future, considering how much the traditional retail model has declined in the last couple years.

I foolishly spent $6.99 on Contract Killer Zombies 2, thinking that they were trying their hand at premium pricing again. I like the game fine, but having it drop to free within minutes left a nasty taste in my mouth. I can tell you that I won't be paying for a Glur game again.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
They made Glyder 1 and 2, which were two of the most ambitious and polished games of their time.
Brilliant games. Both still runl on my iPhone4 / iOS5. (I did delete their take on How To Train Your Dragon after I finished it though.)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusjr98 View Post
I'm very serious. They rip people off and try to milk them of their hard-earned cash. It's not fair to people. If the strike is effective enough, they can do something to solve this problem, like making a premium version for each of their freemium games.

They without a doubt have talent in developing games. But until they make a good premium one, I won't download a single thing from them.
Problem is if they made a premium priced game then 'some' people will wait first for it to be 99c or be free

If we all bought premium games on the day of release they 'may' keep releasing more. But wayyy too many people wait for price drops. I don't blame companies for going freemium. Blame the users

You hear stats all the time, a game sells 300 copies at 1.99, goes free for 48 hours and has 10000 downloads. Sadly I don't blame companies for going freemium. It's our fault
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 AM
iPad, iOS 4.x

yes on the other side
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
If we all bought premium games on the day of release they 'may' keep releasing more. But wayyy too many people wait for price drops. I don't blame companies for going freemium. Blame the users

You hear stats all the time, a game sells 300 copies at 1.99, goes free for 48 hours and has 10000 downloads. Sadly I don't blame companies for going freemium. It's our fault
I'd be more inclined to blame some developers, it doesn't take much to work out which devs will drop and how far after release they'll do it. They've created a habit that general populace is getting more used to, effectively turning off their early adopters. I'll get stuff on release if its something I want regardless of price, if its not I'll wait, if I think it's loaded around IAP I'll wait, if its Freemium I most likely wont touch it.

Also free downloads aren't an indication of possible sales, just because a person picked up something free doesn't mean they would ever have bothered otherwise.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to Pman

I'm in. I've been ripped off from glu so many times I think it is about time we do something.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
It's easier to get it for free, hit a pay wall, curse at the skies and delete the game than paying for it and not like it.

If not for the aggressive IAP pushing, Glu makes some pretty decent games.
They have some talent outside of the corporate offices, there's no doubting that. As I said in another thread, they bought out some pretty talented studios, like the one behind the Spyro the Dragon series.

They must either pay their employees a lot or see a lot of them leave; I could only imagine the soul-crushing that some must feel when you work your ass off to make a fun, polished (heck, some of the nicest looking games on ios) game that's released, essentially, as a gimick.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Problem is if they made a premium priced game then 'some' people will wait first for it to be 99c or be free

You do make a good point, but it's not necessarily our "fault." Not everybody has money all the time.