Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^ I notice you use the term tech demo a lot.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Unfortunately, while UO serves as an interesting tech demo and could be the basis for something good with additional development, it's just not very interesting or fun as a game at the moment. The play area is relatively tiny, and the gameplay is simplistic without possessing the elegance or charm of TW. In addition, I]UO[/I] is tilt-only, which wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the controls are twitchy as hell and the game doesn't include any kind of calibration or sensitivity options, which is a pretty major issue.

The game falls foul of far too many of the cardinal sins of iOS game development at present; hopefully these issues can be addressed in the near future, as the game certainly does have potential.
No sensitivity adjustments? Ugh.

For me the game would be more of an "experience" game than a score game, and I'd need the vibe to be pretty chill, which the visuals and music DEFINITELY are.

The twitch thing wouldn't work for me. Well, sensitivity adjustments seem pretty easy to add, right? [So says the guy who couldn't program his way out of a digitized wet paper bag...]

DBC
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I found it quite hard to walk the line for sensitivity adjustments. Too low and people would get the 'over correction' effect where you could never straighten up properly, due to the lag/smoothing. And yes some people find it too twitchy as well. Will add this to the list of things for an update. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I've only played twice,first off this game is visually stunning,but I wish the tuturiol clarified your objective a little better.Ill play some more.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayExbleative View Post
I found it quite hard to walk the line for sensitivity adjustments. Too low and people would get the 'over correction' effect where you could never straighten up properly, due to the lag/smoothing. And yes some people find it too twitchy as well. Will add this to the list of things for an update. Thanks for the feedback.
Could you just put a sensitivity slider? Again, I don't know how difficult that would be, but it seems like it would solve the problem?

DBC
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
Could you just put a sensitivity slider? Again, I don't know how difficult that would be, but it seems like it would solve the problem?

DBC
I wasn't aware it was that big an issue until now, so I didn't really consider it. But yes, wouldn't be that hard I don't think! I'll see how feedback goes either way and perhaps adjust the default level to be smoother if most people find it too sensitive, whilst adding a slider adjustment.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I was really excited about this game after watching the trailer but after playing it I found the overall impression, fortified by the comparison to Tiny Wings to be a little misleading. To begin with there is only one environment that I have encountered so far, a relatively small main planet where most of the gameplay takes place, two spherical satellites, and a floating pyramid. All three game modes take place here, the difference between them being the gravity and stability of your orb.

As it stands, I think that it is an excellent concept that could benefit from assimilating more of Tiny Wings' design elements into its three dimensional environment. For example, Tiny Wings uses a series of islands, each of which has a different color and shape of the terrain which affects the feel and strategy of the game as you progress. Similarly, Unknown Orbit would benefit from implementing a more expansive and interconnected solar system as opposed to the single planetary system. Each planet could have different properties associated with its geological structure that effect the way you interact with it. This would create both a sense of diversity and progression without altering the basic gameplay mechanic.

A second element, also from Tiny Wings, that would be of significant benefit is the strong emphasis placed upon clearly defined and achievable objectives. We certainly enjoy the sensation of flowing along the hills, but we also want a sense of accomplishment. Objective based gameplay progression is an essential element of all endless games without which we would quickly tire of pressing the button. If the above Solar System were implemented, such objectives could include for example:

- Reach the fifth planet
- Reach the third planet without collecting any ice crystals
- (If terrain elements were added) Skim across six lakes or jump five volcanoes

As the ice crystals affect the longevity of the orb, they serve a function similar to the night and day mechanic of Tiny Wings. These elements combined with interplanetary travel, and fluctuations in the terrain could produce a remarkable set of objective permutations in this environment.

I can see why a previous poster likened the game to a tech demo due to its present limitations. As for myself I prefer to see it as the potential foundation for something truly extraordinary.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Hi Retro,
Thanks, this is pretty much the first and so far only review I've read for Unknown Orbit. Really appreciate your well considered thoughts and feedback! It's kind of a shame that its hard to get a negative review on the big iOS review sites (they just don't do one!).

The reason for only one environment is mostly due to load times/my lack of technical knowledge, as on the 3GS and iPhone 4, the game can take a rather long 35-40 seconds to load. That is almost entirely because of the planet, so introducing an entire system would be out of the question. I am wondering whether I should have just dropped support for those phones.

I agree that having multiple planets would help with progression and objectives, though I thought I had mitigated this a bit by including the goals that I have, but obviously you didn't really feel any strong pull from those?

Thanks again, I'll certainly take all of this into consideration for updates (or maybe a sequel, as I'm not sure you can drop support for an old phone as part of an update).

Regards,
Jay
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM

I still haven't played the game and am waiting to see what happens with the controls. Does it have tiny wings-esque controls? Let go and let your character fly and press to get the character to drop to build momentum?