★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Reiner Knizia's Qin

12-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I hope there other games don't share this feature. I'm perplexed by how this could get through. Did they not even playtest online games? How could they not realize that the games going *poof* was not a good thing? It's weird. I will try contacting them and hope for the best.
They probably just assumed that all players were playing live when they designed. This is why a varied beta/QC team is so important, they all play different and issues like this crop up really quickly.

One example: I recently launched Summoner Wars and saw I now have 1 forfeit... How did I forfeit a match when I never accepted it!? I'm not really a stat tracker but I hate having a forfeit on my record. I don't know how that can be allowed to end up in a final build and playdek has yet to respond :/
12-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Good game overall. It's an otherwise solid implementation of QIN but set back by AI that very obviously knows what your hidden pieces are.

12-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I let Elately know and their response was "We'll think about it". Not terribly encouraging when with such a huge oversight they are only thinking about possibly correcting it. Oh well. I will certainly think twice about buying any future games by them if they don't do something about this.
12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
So, should I get this? I have T&E but I am not very good of grasping the game mechanics (i.e. how to win)

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
So, should I get this? I have T&E but I am not very good of grasping the game mechanics (i.e. how to win)
This is much simpler than T&E. I recommend it highly, but with this caveat: I play for the single player experience. It appears from Crunc that the online experience has issues. Since that means nothing to me, I can't speak to it.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
I love this game but, grr, the very simple little rule twist to straight board domination is such a neat mechanic that my brain still can't wrap itself around.

To win it's all about controlling the most individual territories as CONTROLLING THE MOST SPACES ON THE BOARD DOESN'T MEAN DIDDLY!

I keep getting sucked into trying to steal territories from the AI and create a few MEGA provinces, but this just ensures I don't get all of my pagodas out there.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
01-30-2013, 03:59 AM
I won my first game of Qin after coming round to the notion that territory doesn't matter here, only getting rid of my pagoda pieces count.

Score: 21
Li Mu (easy AI): 4

Is that good? What do the scores mean and why are there two scores?
01-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
I won my first game of Qin after coming round to the notion that territory doesn't matter here, only getting rid of my pagoda pieces count.

Score: 21
Li Mu (easy AI): 4

Is that good? What do the scores mean and why are there two scores?
While who wins should simply be whomever places his last pagoda first, the devs have created some very elaborate scoring system that does factor in the AIs' remaining pagodas, areas claimed, and other aspects. I think it is possible, although still very rare, that a player other than the one placing the last pagoda could win because of this.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
11-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Is the game still available? I've tried searching for it a few times in the App Store and could'nt find it. Then I followed the link to it on the first page. And I got the message 'not available in your country' although I live in the United States.
11-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Yep, it' also gone from the German store ... so, no more updates?

Schenker P505 Notebook | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6+

I reject your reality and substitute my own.