Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I have a renewed hatred for those $%@#ing tanks, I forgot how fast their bullets are! I've also noticed that the easy settings for each game have been axed, leaving us with only Normal and Hard. This is bad news for people like me who tend to suck real bad at dodging lightning-fast super-accurate bullets. Even though I love the Raiden games, I'll admit that I almost always had to go into the dip-switch settings when playing the games on an emulator, and dial down the difficulty a little bit.

Last edited by Mullet_Mcgee; 12-05-2012 at 06:34 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I finally got the courage to try Arcade controls.
It makes a much bigger difference what ship one chooses. In this mode I tend to go with a balanced ship, otherwise it's all but impossible to get out of the way quick enough. This game is a constant barrage, and I love it.

It's a fair bit harder to play with arcade controls, but also somewhat satisfying, it's as the game originally played, and with the added strategi of ship selection it's just fun in a different, somehow not as frantic way.

In this mode, I find that it pays to use the bombs strategically, otherwise there's not much hope of survival.

For people used to 1:1 controls on iOS, it may be off putting to use Arcade Controld, but given the chance it takes no more than a game or two before you're used to it.

Played mostly Raiden Fighter 1 + 2 and Raiden Fighter Jet, but gave the original Raiden a shot too.
Besides the much more dated visuals and not so many bullets on screen it's just as challenging, as the firepower available I'd much slimmer and spawns more seldom.
Dang, this game is fun!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Just got this and am enjoying it so far. Not sure if the developers are active in this forum, but I'd love the ability to mute the music while keeping the sound effects.
Please consider, and keep up the good work!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guise View Post
Just got this and am enjoying it so far. Not sure if the developers are active in this forum, but I'd love the ability to mute the music while keeping the sound effects.
Please consider, and keep up the good work!
Yeah, it would be nice to have a sound volume level as well as a music volume level for sure.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 PM

Would be cool if in training mode, the score doesn't keep adding up when you redo the same mission. Would be nice to have a high score per level in training mode and be able to beat it.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTuna View Post
I dont remember any shooter that moved as fast with a joystick as the finger controlled ones we have now, now it seems everyone wants 1:1 movement in every shmup but while I do appreciate it in bullet hell shmups ala Cave as it makes them more playable for not so good players like me, I think it would make the game too easy here.

The game is beatifully emulated, no one is being screwed over here. I just think a lot of folks expect every game in a given genre to have the same dumbed down difficulty and controls than the others.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to insult people with your response because frankly you're wrong. No one wants the game dumbed down, no one wants the game made easy. This game has considerable input lag and doesn't feel very "natural" while playing. I have a tank stick and the original Raiden fired up and have been playing, and it's smooth as butter. This however, is not.

You can load up one of Cave's ports yourself, and select arcade mode. These are ports that play exactly like their original. They aren't dumbed down or made easier, there's just no lag.

It has nothing to do with the speed of the ship. It's about the input lag from the touch controls

I'd rather just have a semi transparent 8 way Dpad than laggy touch controls.

This is a fun game and I love it, but I think the controls need to be smoothed out and add another scheme like a dpad. There is room for improvement to make it more fun and competitive.

Last edited by Robotwars; 12-06-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

^^ Certainly don't mean this as an insult in anyway, but I just don't see the lag issue. Of course, I don't have the originals to compare them to but I'm enjoying these as much as the Cave games. I love these kind of games even though I tend to suck at them. So any issue with the controls would probably be more frustrating for me.

Everyone has the right to their opinion though so not saying you're wrong.

Last edited by awp69; 12-06-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

These games are tough. I have yet to make it through mission 2 of Raiden Fighters 1 & 2 and not far in Jet or Raiden, all on Medium difficulty. I wish there was an Easy option. But it's fun. I'm glad there's four games to jump around, which keeps it fresh.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

I"m also experiencing NO LAG WHATSOEVER in any of these ports on either of my devices. Even the horizontal movement is perfect 1:1 for me... it's vertical movement that gets a little funky and off, but since I'm not jumping to the top of the screen and all the way back to the bottom, it's no real issue for me. On Fast Touch, the ships follow my fingers perfectly, and on Arcade Touch, the ships speed is as it is in the original, and moves with my fingers - again, perfectly.

So... sorry for going off for the wrong reason - obviously a delay in input is a huge issue, and I hope that DotEmu gets it all straightened out with/for you.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Loaded this game on my iphone 4, so cool to have this classic on my iphone. But the game plays so much better on my new ipad. Guess this game was made for a large screen, so ipad does it more justice. But cool to have a classic on my iphone. Now I wait patiently for someone to put Robotron and Robotron 2084 on the iphone. Hint, hint, dotemu!!!