Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravippe View Post
Well i got the game and im pretty happy with it. Im a first time player. I found the tutorial a little confusing. Took me about an hour to get through it. I couldnt find out how to thieve. Took me 20 minutes. I think the baulders gate icons are stupid and confusing. No fault to this game its just the way they made it before i guess.I also dont like how you cant find out what type of spells you have and the effects like you can with weapons. You have to select the question mark icon while your character is selected to see spells. I dunno if im missing something but a bit confusing. Why isnt there a list instead of picto hyroglyphics in the spell book. How am i gonna know that a tablet with a 1 is summon monster level 1? Do i have to memorize the spells first then try them all to see what they do?

But once you get into the game its like ultima. Nice. I play it for an hour and itchy to play again. Its got a bit of a learning curve though fair warning. I like the graphics but it does get a little spotty when you zoom in too much. Also the lack of voices only 3 females and 3 males. Kinda low i think. Im busy killing cows in town. I give it a 4 star rating overall.

Seems pretty stable also, no glitches. The icons on the right for select entire party and zoom icon to show all selectable chests is really helpful.

I dunno about the in app purchases. I get the 2 characters fine, but the portrait pack? 10 average bland pics? Seems like you get better ones with the basic package already. They should make it like 50 since your buying a jpg image essensially.

I found that skipping the iap was a smart move. Im a first time player, i was ready to drop my money but its kinda a waste. I may try the other characters after this first run.
For spells, you simply press on a spell icon for just 2 seconds and then it will show a page with all of that spell information.

Many years ago this was a true milestone of pure rpg gaming. Maybe Baldur's Gate even introduced the "pause-order-unpause-execute" gameplay mechanism, at least for me. About icons, probably you're right, but I feel this game exactly as it was the first time I played it on my PC years ago. In fact, no need of any tutorial to start (restart, eheh) playing... Ok, I'm lucky, being so older... :-)
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
How am i gonna know that a tablet with a 1 is summon monster level 1? Do i have to memorize the spells first then try them all to see what they do?
Can't you see detailed spell descriptions if you go into spellbook and click on the icons there? It is quite important to read them, too, to know what to use in what circumstances.

Also, don't forget to give all your party members ranged proficiencies when you can. Concentrated fire FTW! And you really don't want your mages to rush into melee.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 AM

Second Part of the Tutorial:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Since it`s the only Way how to prefent currently Piracy I can see why they did add the iOS Restriction in the longer run and let`s be honest:

I`m pretty sure more Developers will jump on that train in the upcoming Months so if you are still haven`t updated to iOS 6 you will suffer in 2013 really a lot...
Old 12-07-2012, 05:43 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
I dunno about the in app purchases. I get the 2 characters fine, but the portrait pack? 10 average bland pics? Seems like you get better ones with the basic package already. They should make it like 50 since your buying a jpg image essensially.
No, they should make it exactly what it is. The PC/Mac versions of BG cost more and have all of these items included by default; the point of including these items as separate IAP for the iPad version is in direct response to the nature of iOS gamers, who throw a fit at game prices at the best of times. With Overhaul selling the basic game and providing the additional content as IAP, players are able to spend as much or as little as they like, while having a reduced entry fee to the core game.

Buying everything for the iPad version (the game itself, plus the additional characters, voice sets and portraits) is intended to end up costing the same as buying the computer version; they're not going to be adding more voices/portraits/whatever just because you don't think you're getting enough stuff for your money.

Quote:
I found that skipping the iap was a smart move. Im a first time player, i was ready to drop my money but its kinda a waste. I may try the other characters after this first run.
And that's the whole point; if you don't think you'll benefit from these items (and the voices and portraits are just cosmetic), you don't need to buy them. PC and Mac gamers don't get a choice; they have to pay for them regardless.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Sorry wifie, bye bye work -- but wait! It requires iOS 6! Dang!
yeah..what a shame. Looks like I will be sticking to the PC version... also I think 1st timers should just skip the IAP and use the original chars on their 1st playthrough.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM

Pretty sure the iOS 6 restriction is either an oversight, or something that'll go away once they iron out the iPad 1 memory issues.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
yeah..what a shame. Looks like I will be sticking to the PC version...
There is still hope that they'll continue to work on iPad 1 compatibility (they certainly already spent a lot of time on it) and then they'll _have_ to include iOS 5.1.1 support.
But yea, it seems like I won't be able to help them climb the charts at this time, heh. And I even set aside 20$ from various "free apps" stuff expressly for the purpose, since the US charts are so important...

Quote:
also I think 1st timers should just skip the IAP and use the original chars on their 1st playthrough.
The problem is, original NPCs don't say much, unless you specifically mix and match for maximum dialogue using a FAQ and keeping a neutral reputation. Which I did, back on my first play-through in the 2000-ies, but it is not optimal. I hear that new NPCs are far more talkative (and thus more entertaining) though...
Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Hi,

Does anyone know if this includes Tales of The Sword Coast ?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I see the file size listed as 1.9gb, can anyone confirm what the size is with all the extra IAP installed as well? I want this, and want it all... But might have to free up some space.

Also. People not upgrading to iOS 6 because of the maps. Really, they aren't THAT bad. Sure the database isnt that hot, but the navigation is great so long as you know the address. Besides, nokia maps is in the store. That's a good back up.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Yay yay yay! Downloading now.

Already on iOS 6 so no worries here... Are you all really that angry with Appe Maps? I know it depends on "where you live" but it's really not that bad... Oh well Baldur's Gate is worth it!