Support our Sponsors:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default iCade Jr. issues

Hey all,

Hope that this is in the right forum, if it isn't a mod is welcome to move it.

Signed up because there simply doesn't seem to be any level of comprehensive information out there at the present time on control issues with the iCade Jr.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday from Think Geek and I've got to say that in comparison to the "iCade Sr.", I'm pretty disappointed in the functionality of the little guy, at least where iMAME/MAME4ALL is concerned.

I have iMAME (the version that was available via the actual app store briefly last year) running on a non-jailbroken iPad 2 and a non-jailbroken iPhone 4.

Where that version of mame does not have any issues with the original iCade on either the phone or the iPad, it seems that the four face buttons on the iCade Jr do not work when pressed simultaneously with a direction on the joystick. (It varies per game, some games you can press LEFT and a button simultaneously, others up/down, etc., but in no cases does it work universally or how you'd want it to.)

So, any game where you are required to run and jump/shoot, the iCade Jr. is woefully incompatible.

It appears in the button-assignment options in iMAME that MOST of the face buttons on the control panel of the iCade Jr read out as 4 or more buttons being pressed simultaneously, but even in the case of the 1 or 2 buttons that read as regular number buttons (1,5 etc.) the problem still persists.

I've paired the Jr. to both the iPhone and the iPad and the problem persists on both, so it's not a matter of the iPad being able to handle more simultaneous keyboard inputs.

Is this related to the version of iMAME that I'm running? Does anybody know if this has been resolved on newer versions of iMAME on jailbroken devices?

Has anybody experienced this with an iCade Jr? Does anybody here have any insight to the differences in the functionality of the iCade Jr. and the iCade Sr. that could be causing the Jr. to do this and the Sr. to work practically perfectly in all games?

I really like the Jr., but like most, we invested in iCade stuff for MAME.

I'm relatively savvy with non-jailbreak stuff in iOS, so feel free to share instructions on updating files in the app itself if that's possible. I can side-load via iFunBox.

If I HAVE to Jailbreak to get it to work on the phone I'll hang on to my iPhone 4 when I upgrade and jailbreak it then.

Thanks in advance for any help!!! Hopefully this thread can be the start of a knowledge base on this issue for the Jr., because I can promise you there's nothing else out there that I was able to find!