Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...e-two-and-sony

Well, there you have it. BioShock Vita isn't even in development.

Edit: SCEE has a web store now!

Last edited by Haruhi; 12-07-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeNeI View Post
Price is $10,but it didn't specifies if it's for the Vita or PS3.I think it's a huge price tag.I would say $3 is a more appropiate one.
It will probably be more here in the UK I suspect but if it does turn out to be Vita I think I will buy it anyway as long as they don't make to many of them I'd appreciate the extra races.

Guess time will tell.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Revised my opinion after reading more, I think it would be tough but the A6x is certainly capable graphics wise, I'd still prefer the Vita for playing games though and it's hard to guess at how much of an impact the iPads retina screen has on the GPU. My guess is their probably about equal taking into account the Vitas quad core CPU.

What would worry me is if Apple came out with something like this Android device

CPU doesn't push pixels or really have much impact with gaming. A good CPU only come in handy with heavy physics calculations, advanced AI and tons of enemies onscreen. It can try to take over some of the rendering load if the GPU becomes overburdened, but in that case it tends to overheat and doesn't do a very good job.

I think, with retina taken into account, the vita and iPad 4 are about equal. But the iPad doesn't necessarily have to push full 1536p...
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
CPU doesn't push pixels or really have much impact with gaming. A good CPU only come in handy with heavy physics calculations, advanced AI and tons of enemies onscreen. It can try to take over some of the rendering load if the GPU becomes overburdened, but in that case it tends to overheat and doesn't do a very good job.

I think, with retina taken into account, the vita and iPad 4 are about equal. But the iPad doesn't necessarily have to push full 1536p...
still, if both the iPad 4 and the Vita would be running games at the full resolution (wich both don't always do, espechially the vita) the iPad would have to power just slightly over 6 times as many pixels.

If the iPad 4 was running at the old resolution of 1024 x 768 there'd still be slightly over one and a half times as many pixels.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
still, if both the iPad 4 and the Vita would be running games at the full resolution (wich both don't always do, espechially the vita) the iPad would have to power just slightly over 6 times as many pixels.
2x pixels doesn't necessarily mean you need 2x more powerful GPU.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
2x pixels doesn't necessarily mean you need 2x more powerful GPU.
No, but I can tell you there is still a massive difference in performance.

As an example here's how good my (by now rather old) laptop is at running Battlefield 3 at different resolutions comparing 1080p to 720p (1080p is 2,25 times more pixels):
On the lowest settings at 1080p the game usually runs at round about 20 fps,
whereas with low - medium settings at 720p it easily gets manages framerates between 25 and 40 fps.

It's not running twice as fast (so yeah, I know that what you said is right), but it's still a big difference.
With the iPad 4 vs Vita comparison one of course has to remember that the hardware (and software) isn't the same, the iPad 4 technically being faster but at the same time the difference in screenresolution is also much higher.
Comparing how much the software slows things down is difficult, because I/we don't really know enough about both operating systems, etc. One we do know is that, being a console, devs have more direct access to the hardware on the Vita than with an iPad (or any other iOS device).

I'm not an expert on these things so what I say may not be 100% accurate, but I think it's safe to say that there are quite a few factors that allow the Vita to power technically more impressive games.

Last edited by Der-Kleine; 12-07-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
No, but I can tell you there is still a massive difference in performance.

As an example here's how good my (by now rather old) laptop is at running Battlefield 3 at different resolutions comparing 1080p to 720p (1080p is 2,25 times more pixels):
On the lowest settings at 1080p the game usually runs at round about 20 fps,
whereas with low - medium settings at 720p it easily gets manages framerates between 25 and 40 fps.

It's not running twice as fast (so yeah, I know that what you said is right), but it's still a big difference.
It's a huge difference. My PC can't run RE5 but at 720p, and we're talking a decent computer here with 8gb of RAM and a 512mb nVidia card.

And thus the reason why my purchase of an iPad 3 was regretted, and Apple got another $600 just because I wanted to play games with a good framerate
Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

To many variables between the devices really to judge fairly but I do know the vita has good controls and will get much bigger development budgets for games with the exception of maybe infinity blade.

So for me Vitas the best option for gaming regardless of how powerful iPads get, I also think the variety of prices on Vita is better than I expected sure there are outrageously priced games like COD but there are also quite cheap gems like Mutant Blobs attack and Motorstorm RC
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Some screenshots for the Vita version of DoA 5:
http://www.psvitahub.com/2012/12/fir...shots.html?m=1

Looks pretty good.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeNeI View Post
Price is $10,but it didn't specifies if it's for the Vita or PS3.I think it's a huge price tag.I would say $3 is a more appropiate one.
LOL. Avatar pictures are $3.