Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1a View Post
I never played all these "top down" RPGs back in the day. I love games like KOTOR, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls tho. Is this similar, besides perspective etc? Is there a lot of micromanagement for your six dudes, or can they take care of them selves?

Also, no iCloud for a game this size and length? Devs, get on it...
This is in some ways very similar, and they have the same heritage.
BG:EE uses the official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons v.2.5 rules, where the games you mention have made their own rules and systems.

The AD&D rules is very complex, and comes with an already built-up in lore for the developers to build on, and it certainly was a boon back in the day to gain official license to AD&D.

A big difference in BG is the fight system.
You have a party of up to 6 members, and though they have an AI, and it is possible to change the script of the AI, it's recommended to micromanage everyone when fighting, in fact this is why the game is so fun!
It's much more tactical than the games you mention, and there's such a huge number of different things enemies can throw at you, and ways to deal with them, that it'll put most modern RPG's to shame...

I would suggest you look up some reviews on the game, preferable the original BG, as they tend to go deeper into the system and story, where reviews of BG:EE spend more time comparing it to the original instead.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
BG 2 is confirmed. It's in their contract, they will be porting it for sure.

BG:EE has a lot of BG2 features in it because (as you've noticed) it's actually using the BG2 engine.

Sync is coming. In the meantime you can do it manually via iFunBox.
I tried iFunBox, and it worked like a charm!
It took me a while to figure out that I had to use the iFunBox Classic tab for it to work.. It doesn't work if you just click the "Managing App Data and click the Baldur's Gate icon.

I clicked "iFunBox Classic" ->"Use Application->"Baldur's Gate->"Library"->"Save and imported from my PC.

It allowed me to continue my game I play on the pc.
It's a good and fairly easy way to do it until a cloud save alternative is implemented to work with windows.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 PM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
I tried iFunBox, and it worked like a charm!
It took me a while to figure out that I had to use the iFunBox Classic tab for it to work.. It doesn't work if you just click the "Managing App Data and click the Baldur's Gate icon.

I clicked "iFunBox Classic" ->"Use Application->"Baldur's Gate->"Library"->"Save and imported from my PC.

It allowed me to continue my game I play on the pc.
It's a good and fairly easy way to do it until a cloud save alternative is implemented to work with windows.
Do you like playing it better on your PC or on your iPad?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

The interface is indeed very blurry, and the text quite small. iPad 3 here.

And the icon has that awful looking glare effect added. I don't understand why modern apps still use that ugly effect.

Last edited by soldat7; 12-07-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM
iPad Air

Quote:
This is in some ways very similar, and they have the same heritage.
BG:EE uses the official Advanced Dungeons & Dragons v.2.5 rules, where the games you mention have made their own rules and systems.

The AD&D rules is very complex, and comes with an already built-up in lore for the developers to build on, and it certainly was a boon back in the day to gain official license to AD&D.

A big difference in BG is the fight system.
You have a party of up to 6 members, and though they have an AI, and it is possible to change the script of the AI, it's recommended to micromanage everyone when fighting, in fact this is why the game is so fun!
It's much more tactical than the games you mention, and there's such a huge number of different things enemies can throw at you, and ways to deal with them, that it'll put most modern RPG's to shame...

I would suggest you look up some reviews on the game, preferable the original BG, as they tend to go deeper into the system and story, where reviews of BG:EE spend more time comparing it to the original instead.
Thanks. I've read reviews from time to time trough the years since I've always been interested in testing the BG games out, but been scared away by the amount of time and patience you seem to have to invest in these games. But hey I managed to throw away 400hrs on Skyrim after a couple of years completely away from games (except the occasional iPhone game). So seems like I can at least give it a shot eh?

And the iFunbox seems like a good workaround if you need to store your saves when having to temp delete the game?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Well, that was pretty obvious, which makes the childish tantrums (far more vitriolic over on the official forums than they are here) from people calling Overhaul liars even more bizarre, as if the developers had announced that they had decided to abandon their plans for first-gen iPad support entirely.

It was clear that the developers had to choose to either release no game for anybody until everything worked on the first-gen iPad - and possibly miss the Christmas sales period entirely with the app store lockout - or release a version of the game that works for people with second-gen devices or newer, and patch in compatibility for the first-gen iPad later on.

You would have to be exceedingly unreasonable to disagree that they made the right call under those circumstances. Sure, it would have been great if they'd managed to sort out a solution to the memory issues on the first-gen iPad, but that's not the situation they found themselves in.
Well, that's nice to know. Maybe I'll be able to give them my money eventually after all. (iPad 2 here, I've just have been through the apple upgrade dance with some VERY VERY NASTY side effects and don't have the time or inclination to repeat it.)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by diovivente View Post
WHAT help button in the list of spells? I have a help button when I'm on the main world, but the moment I open up any kind of inventory I love the help button. There is no longer anything on the right side of the page. This is ridiculous. I can t even see what spells I'm having my character learn, let alone know which spells to pick to use. So dumb...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
You have to tap on enough spells to select them to fill up the memorised spells list, then you can tap and hold (on the spells in the spellbook, not the spells in the memorised spells list) on a spell to get the information about that spell.

If you try tapping and holding before you have filled the memorised spells list, the spell will just move to the memorised spells list. If you try tapping and holding on a spell on the memorised spell list, the spell will just get deselected.
There has to be something better. Has to be. If not, the devs have some splaining to do.

I know we will understand them after a while, but there must be an easier solution to seeing the spell lists, no? And going to the manual is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Sounds like genius interface design right there...
Far from the most intelligent for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
It wouldn't be so amazing for the animals.
And seeing as I'm a weeny compassionate vegetarian, that should say how important it would be for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Consider: updating an OS always has a slight chance of messing up your device. My concern: if it does and I need to take it back, I'll never be able to find my way to my nearest Apple store now.
Where's the rimshot smile when you need it??

Seriously though, on my 7 iDevices I've never had a screw up in updating them.

Jesus. I have SEVEN. I have major problems.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
I'm going to be nit picky, but AD&D didn't really have a 2.5 Edition (sometimes players will retcon the Player's Option books as a faux-2.5, but BG does not use those). BG uses a variant of the 2nd Edition ruleset.

Similarly, KotOR uses a variant of the Star Wars d20 ruleset, so it's also based on a pen and paper RPG.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM

So many first world problems, not related to the actual game, in this thread, lol, you guys crack me up. OMG IOS6, MAPS, ARRGH, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, RAGEQUIT

We have two ipad minis, two iPhone 5s, an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and four iPod touches all running iOS 6.0.1 without problems and I've even used turn-by-turn directions numerous times on my iPhone without getting lost. Even if I did get lost, I worry about greater things than the software on my phone. You know, important things in life, whether to pick a half-elf ranger or a human thief!

I'm still going through the tutorial and I agree I hope they can make it so you can see what the spells are when trying to learn them. I did actually get one description to show up once, but have no idea how and have not been able to replicate it.

To the person who asked, I'm playing on a mini and am able to read the text without troubles.

Last edited by Coachflaps; 12-07-2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Fixing some posting from iPad errors
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I'm going to be nit picky, but AD&D didn't really have a 2.5 Edition (sometimes players will retcon the Player's Option books as a faux-2.5, but BG does not use those). BG uses a variant of the 2nd Edition ruleset.

Similarly, KotOR uses a variant of the Star Wars d20 ruleset, so it's also based on a pen and paper RPG.
You're right, my bad. I've played a lot of PnP role play, but we used the 3.5 edition of AD&D. It's probably what I was thinking about with the extra decimal there...

Didn't know about KOTAR, didn't know such a rule set even existed.
I stand corrected.

In my defence I was just trying to explain as best I could the similarities and differences between the games he mentioned and BG..