Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Xtreme Beam Vector Arcade

XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE, featuring STAR CANNON, is now available for download on the App Store, for iPad and iPad Mini.

Star Cannon is the first game to appear in the app. The plan is for the app to eventually contain multiple vector games, including games with more original concepts. Care was taken to create an app that draws vector lines on the iPad screen in a very similar manner to vintage vector arcade hardware. The XTREME BEAM VECTORLINE rendering engine generates smooth, alias free, vector lines with an authentic vector glow!

The app replicates a black and white, bi-level, vector monitor with color overlays. Choose the CLASSIC COLOR overlay for the vintage look or DYNALAY for a dynamic color changing overlay, something that was not possible in the arcades, back in the day.. Or just play in black and white for that bare, white line, vector monitor look.

Screenshots and iPhone videos don't really do the app justice.. You need to see it running on an iPad device to fully appreciate it! Set the iPad brightness control to manual and turn the brightness on your iPad screen up to about 75% to 80% intensity for the best simulated vector monitor experience.

Unlike some apps that try to simulate vector monitor graphics, this one will actually run on a 1st Generation iPad! It will run on ANY iPad! The XTREME BEAM VECTORLINE engine is FAST and EFFICIENT!

Video Trailer (Narrated by 80's wrestling icon, Jessie "The Body" Ventura):

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Link to the App's webpage:
http://www.celtroniclabs.com/XtremeBeam.html

Link to the App's twitter page which contains some larger screen shots:
http://www.twitter.com/XtremeBeam
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default UPDATED: RETINA DISPLAY SUPPORT and MORE..

NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE FOR XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE!

NATIVE RETINA SUPPORT FOR THE VECTOR GRAPHICS!

--------------------------------------
XTREME BEAM - General Updates
--------------------------------------

- Native Retina Support for the vector graphics! Vector lines are now sharper and better defined on the Retina displays. On Retina displays, the vector graphics look even more authentic than they did before!

- New Color Overlay option called, Hide Overlay! This new option gives the appearance of a color vector monitor, by making the overlay invisible, though it still tints the vectors and backdrop art with color.

- The Start button, on the control panel, now serves double duty as a pause/resume button. Making it possible to pause and resume the game during play.

- Joypad integration has been improved by using the latest Joypad SDK. The erratic, unwanted, pop-up alert during game play, from within the Joypad app, has been eliminated.

- Minor Bug fixes.

----------------------------------------
STAR CANNON - Specific Updates

- Homing mine AI improvements. Mines are smarter now when pursuing the player's ship. Mine ring riding duration has been slightly reduced. As Mine speed increases, the duration of time for which they can pass through ring segments, without colliding and attaching to them, is reduced.

- At the start of a game, the number of player ships has been increased from 3 to 6. This will help beginners to progress more easily and allow higher scoring potential for all players.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:15 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Thrilled to hear about the Retina upgrade, and can't wait for any new games you've got coming down the pike.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM
iPad (4th Gen)

I'll bite on this! Reminds me of an old game (I can't remember the name of it) back in the day. Hopefully, the dev will follow through and add more games like he said he would. Eagerly awaiting those releases!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 PM
In Time-Out
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Oh!!

I loved Stellar Castle!! I'm grabbing this

If you plan on doing other classic vector graphics games, please consider 'Rip Off' its a beauty!

Last edited by Mene; 08-11-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The next Xtreme Beam update will add iCade support!

Should be receiving an iCade cabinet for testing sometime next week..

Regarding the addition of more games, you three guys above, have been the first to really express an interest in seeing more games added to the app..

I agree about Rip-Off being a nice vector game. I personally think that Rip-Off is best played as a two-player simultaneous game. Right now, the only practical method I have for two-player simultaneous play, is by use of the Joypad app. Allowing both players to control the action, on a single iPad, using their own iPhone or iPod touch as an external controller. You can currently use the Joypad to play Star Cannon, but of course, it is a single player only game.

There is a possibility of not only adding more 2D vector games but making a few 3D vector games for the app as well..

When I say 3D, I mean XYZ games, where all vertices of a vector object are calculated in an XYZ three-dimensional space. In this method the object's perspective dynamically changes. There are pseudo-3D games that only use XY vertex calculations. These type give an illusion of depth simply by scaling XY objects up and down, with no changes to the perspective of those objects. These are easier to create.

Some examples of classic pseudo-3D vector games are Starhawk and War of the Worlds. 3D XYZ vector games would be like Tailgunner and Battlezone. 3D XYZ games would take more time to develop.. Generally 3D games usually work best with joystick control, such as with the iCade cabinet.

If other people reading this post, have any interest in seeing more vector games added to Xtreme Beam, let it be known on here!

Would you prefer 2D or 3D vector games? Post a comment and let me know your thoughts..
Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtronic Labs View Post
The next Xtreme Beam update will add iCade support!

Should be receiving an iCade cabinet for testing sometime next week..

Regarding the addition of more games, you three guys above, have been the first to really express an interest in seeing more games added to the app..

I agree about Rip-Off being a nice vector game. I personally think that Rip-Off is best played as a two-player simultaneous game. Right now, the only practical method I have for two-player simultaneous play, is by use of the Joypad app. Allowing both players to control the action, on a single iPad, using their own iPhone or iPod touch as an external controller. You can currently use the Joypad to play Star Cannon, but of course, it is a single player only game.

There is a possibility of not only adding more 2D vector games but making a few 3D vector games for the app as well..

When I say 3D, I mean XYZ games, where all vertices of a vector object are calculated in an XYZ three-dimensional space. In this method the object's perspective dynamically changes. There are pseudo-3D games that only use XY vertex calculations. These type give an illusion of depth simply by scaling XY objects up and down, with no changes to the perspective of those objects. These are easier to create.

Some examples of classic pseudo-3D vector games are Starhawk and War of the Worlds. 3D XYZ vector games would be like Tailgunner and Battlezone. 3D XYZ games would take more time to develop.. Generally 3D games usually work best with joystick control, such as with the iCade cabinet.

If other people reading this post, have any interest in seeing more vector games added to Xtreme Beam, let it be known on here!

Would you prefer 2D or 3D vector games? Post a comment and let me know your thoughts..
Icade? Gotta post this in the icade thread then.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

This one seems to have a lot of potential. Wish it was universal though and not iPad only
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

I'm excited to see both 2D and 3D XYZ games added, and the iCade news is wonderful. The ones you mentioned would be great, and if you do a Rip Off, please do give it a one-player mode, too. Many people like myself enjoy multiplayer, but sadly have little or no time for it. I would personally love to see any and all arcade style vector titles given a treatment here, and I know I'm definitely not alone. Sundance and Armor Attack and others?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default UPDATED: 100% RETINA GRAPHICS and iCADE SUPPORT

NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE FOR XTREME BEAM VECTOR ARCADE!

100% NATIVE RETINA SUPPORT FOR ALL BITMAP AND VECTOR GRAPHICS!

UPDATED FOR THE NEW iPAD AIR and RETINA iPAD MINI!

iCADE SUPPORT ADDED!

XTREME BEAM - General Updates

- ALL BITMAP and VECTOR GRAPHICS are now RETINA RESOLUTION! The App graphics and colors are now updated specifically for the Retina Display of the new iPad Air! This is the best the App has ever looked on the Retina iPad and Retina iPad Mini!

- iCADE ARCADE CABINET support added! You can now control the game with the most popular arcade cabinet controls.

- Minor Bug fixes.

STAR CANNON - Specific Updates

- NEW CONTROL PANEL ART and ARCADE BUTTONS!

- NEW MONITOR BEZEL ART now surrounds the Virtual Vector Monitor!

- DYNALAY now color cycles the Control Panel, Bezel and Arcade Button colors, in addition to the Overlay colors!

- Player Bullet Lifespan is now distance based, instead of timer based.