Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 AM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Default Shamus

Shamus just got icade controllers. I emailed them and it seems, shamus 2 and zeppelin! Are also going to be icade compatible.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

My own clay based puzzle game, Genius Greedy Mouse, supports iCade.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaGeorge View Post
Setting it up is easy... I'd have no problem doing it as I've already started two wikis there... the hard part is filling in the content. If enough people get involved it should be no problem...

Btw, I have a boardgame app ready (waiting to get approved) and wasn't sure what to do next, another boardgame or another arcade game. I. think I'm leaning towards arcade, as I'm really enjoying games with the iCade

I would definitely be willing to fill in content!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 AM

Is it true that they've removed the iCade support from the latest update of Fix-It-Felix? Why would they do that?

I have iCade Jr, and I can't get the game to work with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

I think most of us agree that a wiki is a good idea. What data columns would be useful. Some ideas I have apart from game name are menu control support, customizable buttons, 8bitty layout supported (start and select are bad action buttons), landscape support, portrait support (some people prefer using iCade classic always in portrait mode so it sits inside cabinet). We might need some sort of data set for iPhone/iTouch also.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconelly View Post
Is it true that they've removed the iCade support from the latest update of Fix-It-Felix? Why would they do that?

I have iCade Jr, and I can't get the game to work with it.
That’s what some reviewers said—so I’m keeping the old version until they “fix it”! We should probably make time to write to their tech support so they know it’s important to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
I think most of us agree that a wiki is a good idea. What data columns would be useful. Some ideas I have apart from game name are menu control support, customizable buttons, 8bitty layout supported (start and select are bad action buttons), landscape support, portrait support (some people prefer using iCade classic always in portrait mode so it sits inside cabinet). We might need some sort of data set for iPhone/iTouch also.
Having that level of detail would be great—even if the data doesn’t all get filled in, it’s nice to have the option!

I like your column ideas. Some additional columns I’d like to see:

* iPad-only, iPhone-only (meaning iPad in 2x but not ideal, like Baby Monkey and maybe Pixl Party), or Universal.

* How to activate iCade mode? Manually Enable / Automatic / Automatic but must turn iCade on before launching app

* In-game documentation of iCade control layout? No / iCade only / Other iCade models

* Uses of full keyboard in the game? Rarely (such as to enter player name) / Never / Frequently (which would be an annoyance but I haven’t run into that personally)

* Auto-Fire? Always on / Hold button / No (manually stab-stab-stab!) / Optional

* Unnecessary touch-control overlays visible during iCade play?

* Can pause from iCade? (some games can do that even if the menus aren’t iCade-controlled)

* Needs touch control in addition to iCade during play? (haven’t seen that too much, but I have some ideas of my own that could work well that way—might not be a bad thing, but for some setups it would be)

* Screenshot

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 12-11-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
It's been a while, but I think wikidot supports one category per page, but then each page can have as many tags as you want. Maybe tags could be used for what each game supports, like portrait, landscape, menu control, and the others, and maybe use category as genre (arcade, adventure, puzzle...)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Metal Slug 1 has iCade support!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasermorgan View Post
Metal Slug 1 has iCade support!
Yep it works great, i have to go back to Metal Slug 3 and test that again.

I did write in the Metal Slug thread it needs the mapping done a bit better, not just for the 8-Bitty but on the iCade the buttons are the ones right next to the joystick, be better to be further to the right.

Still cant moan too much, its great it comes with iCade controls and is a retro classic
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Metal Slug 3 (best of the MS series?) and Blazing Star are both on sale now—and have iCade support. I found the videos to prove it so I’m buying them now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyy2vSCchMo (nice footage of various iCade games)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUgJ1isFkM

Getting these games to work with iCade is tricky apparently—I have NOT gotten it to work yet. this tip is a little vague but seems to be saying that you simply launch the app twice with the iCade powered on. That didn’t work for me. I’ll keep trying.

Also, judging by the videos, they do NOT hide the overlay controls with iCade is in use. EDIT: Yes, despite the video above, the overlays DO hide.

EDIT 2: I have the trick! Thanks to this post, here’s how to get Metal Slug 3 and Blazing Star to work with iCade.

1. Launch the app and navigate the menus via touch to start the actual gameplay.

2. Once actual play begins (even the Get Ready screen is OK) exit the app (home button).

3. Re-launch the app (gameplay is already in progress) and iCade will “just work.” (No need to have it powered on in advance—that makes no difference either way.)

4. If you pause or use the menus at all at all, iCade control will stop working. You can get away with one tap to make the overlay re-appear (to find the Pause button for instance)—but if you actually tap a button (even Pause) iCade control is lost. But you can get it back:

5. Every time you pause/unpause, use the menus, or start a fresh game, you must exit and relaunch again to make iCade work. Annoying, but quick to do. (It’s impossible to unpause from the iCade alone.)

That aside, these two seem like the ultimate iCade titles! I think they look great with video filtering (blur) turned off and scanlines at 50%. Sharp and yet retro at the same time. I’m also not instantly dying (then again, I’m on Easy). Some retro titles start out with a brutal learning curve, but these seem fun from the get-go.

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 12-13-2012 at 12:29 PM..