Support our Sponsors:

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Any other parents think...

That IOS gaming is perfect for some quick gaming needs when you have a kid or two? To me its perfect to play a quick game or 2 while the kids are sleeping or whatever. Sometimes us parents dont have all the time needed to play xbox games or whatever.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I'm not a parent, but I do know my ol ipod touch 2 looked like it went through armageddon. My mom dropped her ipad, cracking the screen and disconnecting the camera...fixable though. The only reason my phone survives is the all tore up otterbox case I have it in.

Now the first gameboy, which I got in '89, that was a brick. IMO, iDevices are too fragile for young children. To each their own though, I guess.

Not to mention the frustration they'll constantly get when they realise they are playing a game you can't further progress in within one human lifetime.

Last thing. Givr kids complexity; games which allow them to be creative, etc. By the time I was 7 I was trying to figure out the riddles in The Bards Tale, exploring the universe in Starflight, etc. not to mention the mental exercise, skillsets, and mental adaptability I developed using dos and c-64 command line os's; typing in basic programs from magazines, learning how to program on Turtle (started that in 1st grade), managing EMS/XMS memory...etc.

Idevices are toys; then again, all popular os's are user friendly now. It would be nice if Ubuntu or some other flavor of Linux had more games available; I learned a lot just getting games to run...and I learned the law of supply and demand, and just how cuthroat competion is, by playing M.U.L.E. w/ my family.

But if ya just want games, sure. I'm not a parent, and don't intend (I'm pretty sure) on being one.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Coincidentally a co-worker had a new born a few weeks ago and he'd mentioned how playing games on his device was saving his sanity as he has to get up in the early morning hours before work and actually thinks certain games lull the babe to sleep while holding him.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Me thinks Greyskull didn't read the OP.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
That IOS gaming is perfect for some quick gaming needs when you have a kid or two? To me its perfect to play a quick game or 2 while the kids are sleeping or whatever. Sometimes us parents dont have all the time needed to play xbox games or whatever.
Yeah i've posted a few times about how good an ipod or ipad is. My daughters only 2 but its amazing seeing her turn on the ipad, swipe it so it starts and then start and play with the Peppa pig app ! Dont get me wrong i dont want her on computers 24/7, when shes older i think a mix of outdoor activity and a bit of computers is great (Not like some kids who looked pale at school who never seemed to go out in summer breaks and stayed on their computer 24/7 !).

But for me its perfect, if shes watching a program i can have a quick go on my ipod at times, or if i'm off to see a customer and i'm early i can then turn on my ipod and have a quick go.

At night i can play some of her programs so the music puts her off to sleep or let her watch a quick 5 minute cartoon if she promises to go to sleep !

But yeah filling in gaps due to having a child, the ipod is perfect and the games for bite-sized chunks etc

In an ideal world i'll have the latest console hooked up to a TV but times change what with a wife/child etc. I can still get in my gaming now when the wifes watching some trashy rubbish on tv and the babies asleep !
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
I'm not a parent, and don't intend (I'm pretty sure) on being one.
Hah, you're gonna be eating your own words in the future!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
But if ya just want games, sure. I'm not a parent, and don't intend (I'm pretty sure) on being one.
Well times change. I remember for ages i never could see myself getting married ever, then that happened. Same with a kid, i never wanted a kid and then the older you get your views may change, happened with me regarding marriage and a child.

Look how you think/thought about things 5 or 10 years ago, things change.

But back to the original thread, yep an ipod (or ipad) is perfect for a bit of gaming here and there. I hear friends saying 'i wont change' when they get married/or kids and soon after their retro collections hit ebay !
Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
I'm not a parent, and don't intend (I'm pretty sure) on being one.

AHAHAHA!

I never intended to be a father either... but, "when push comes to shove"... nature decides against your will and, oh well... "Darling, why are you vomitting all day long?" The reply was quite a surprise.
But now, I really really love my son with all my heart. No matter the good times or times of trouble. You can't compare having a kid to something else in this world, it's simply something that must be experienced.
I am so glad the the iOS is able to be used as a fantastic gaming platform.

Last edited by Vovin; 12-10-2012 at 04:44 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM
iPhone 4

My little daughter is now 7 month old and I am really happy to have that ipad, so I can play (with one hand) some games while she is sleeping on my arm. ^__^

The only problem is to find "one hand" playable games.

I love the music of "flower board". Perfect lullaby.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I agree iDevices are well suited to cramming in some video game time while parenting. Plus the iPod makes a great night light flashlight for checking on my crying 13 month other without having to turn on a larger more disruptive light. With my kids, it's easy to play around on my iPod while they're at the playground or the kids running around socially.

Also the casual nature of iPod games is good for including kids. Although I try to limit their exposure my daghter got a kick out of playing "Mad Birds." For a while there was a subgroup, "Parents of TA," (I think Vovin started) but it seemed silence recently. With two kids it's good that I have my iDevice so I can play violent games away from the kids viewpoint and don't have to fight over the TV.