Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-01-2012, 10:35 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Didn't realize the ipad 2 was like that, is it cause of the memory? My new ipad have no problems opening tons of pages. Didn't realize that, thought performance wise the ipad 2 was pretty close to the new ipad.
it also depends on what kind of webpage it is, I will make a test for now.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I can't get the result to support my point in the simple test, such as open some webpages.
I may need more time to use ipad 4 to find out the truth.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 AM

I am waiting for my new iPad 4,can't wait to get it.

Last edited by greenyoga; 12-08-2012 at 03:34 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
I am thinking about making my new ipad into a console by getting the hdmi cable connection and using joypad on my iphone 4.

And playing games like Mikey shorts, infinity zone, and silverfish max on my bigscreen tv.

Will this work ok? Anyone try it yet?

And will other games like Asphalt 7 or others work ok even without joypad? Some games would probably be unplayeable this way cause you would have to look directly at the ipad for its controls, but I figure many probably would play fine.

Now, not saying this would be close to a ps3, bu at least this would be fun to try out. Anyone recommend this before I spend the money on an hdmi cable and ipad connection kit? Is it worthwhile?
Well, since I didn't get any feedback on this, I went ahead and bought the hdmi adapter and holy mackeral, it works SUPER GREAT!!!

Now I have a console, a funny one, with my flatscreen big tv as the screen, my ipad as the console, and my iphone as the joystick. Throw in my soundfreaq wireless speakers as my back speakers, my faithful tripod, and a stylus if I need it.

Wowzers, it is AWESOME!!! First game I played was Dodonpachi Ressurection HD, didn't think I could play shmups without looking at my ipad, but it works wonderfully. The graphics on my screen look so wonderful, I was shocked how crisp and clear games looked at 1080p. It even looks better than on my new ipad, which shocked me cause of the retina resolution on the ipad.

But my tv is good quality, so the brightness is so much brighter, and with the screen so much bigger, the screen does look better than how it does on my retina ipad.

Then, I went through and played some dual sticks like Beat Hazard and Mutant Storm, wow, they play great too! When I played Beat Hazard, I was shockded to see that it played full screen! Normally all the games play with black borders, and even though I can stretch them on my tv with the wide or stretch mode, they don't fill up the screen on my 16:9 tv.

But I noticed some games like Beat Hazard, Asphault 6&7, Real Racing 2 hd, Nova 3, and others play games full screen!!! I think they use airplay, in fact, many games like the racing games, can use the ipad as a device just to output a map for example. You view the game on the tv, and just use the ipad as a joystick and the ipad just displays a fancy map with all the cars.

Wow, super impressed. That is kind of like the Wii U, your tablet can be used as a joystick and aux viewing device. I was shocked to see this ability just using hdmi, guess this is what airplay is all about. It was pretty cool to see Nova 3 on my tv, wish I had an ipad 4 to see if it would be smoother or better graphical effects on my tv.

My tv has great speakers, and combined that with my soundfreaq wireless bluetooth controller, wowzers, the sound was the best I have ever heard in my whole life from arcade games. It was literary shocking.

Tried some joypad app games, where I could use my iphone 4 as a wireless joystick, played games like Mikey Shorts, Infinity Field hd, Silverfish max, Legion of Evil, Bee Leader, and many more... The played great!

This whole experience changed my perception of whether my new ipad could run as a console, I was shocked that it functioned so well playing games on my tv. The graphics are oh so great, sound wonderful, and the only problem was having a hdmi cable tethered to my ipad which made it a little heavy. But you can also use apple tv wirelessly to get this mirroring and airplay ability, but apple tv I hear is 720p, while hdmi is 1080p, so resolution wise hdmi is better, but apple tv is nice cause it is wireless.

You all have to try it, played Asphault 6 and Real Racing 2 were treats on my big tv fullscreen. It was great having the ipad used just to display the maps, can't wait for more airplay supported games, and for more people to play with their ipads as consoles.

With so many games on my ipad, it was wonderful playing a lot of them on my tv, not all games work well like streetfighter games or games that have a lot of buttons. Games that use tilt actually work better in this console configuration, cause you just use the ipad as a joystick tilting, and the tv stays fixed and doesn't move. You can hold the ipad parallel to the ground which is nice. Racing games are on so wonderful and with airplay, they look just like arcade games.

Dual sticks and shmups play great. Most puzzle games worked fine. Simple games like jetpack joyride, roo run, tiny wings, ski safari, etc, play super great on the tv. Shooters like dead trigger or nova 3 worked ok too as long as you remembered where the button moves.

In summary, it was AWESOME playing my new ipad as a console. I was l literary shocked how good it was. Highly highly highly recommend either getting an hdmi adapter or apple tv. If not you are missing out!!!

Last edited by Connector; 12-10-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM

Well imho airplay and tv out are still gimicks the way apple implemented it.. I mean really 1024 resolution on the homescreen? Huge borders all around.
Yeah some games support widescreen support via tvout/airplay but then i dont really want to play them on the big screen where its more than obvious that they dont compete with 5 year old consoles.

For me airplay is more good to stream movies and music to your tv.. But thats it.. and one should not forget the price of ipad, iphone, adapters or apple tvs..
Thats like ten times the price of current gen consoles.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
This whole experience changed my perception of whether my new ipad could run as a console, I was shocked that it functioned so well playing games on my tv. The graphics are oh so great, sound wonderful, and the only problem was having a hdmi cable tethered to my ipad which made it a little heavy. But you can also use apple tv wirelessly to get this mirroring and airplay ability, but apple tv I hear is 720p, while hdmi is 1080p, so resolution wise hdmi is better, but apple tv is nice cause it is wireless.

You all have to try it, played Asphault 6 and Real Racing 2 were treats on my big tv fullscreen. It was great having the ipad used just to display the maps, can't wait for more airplay supported games, and for more people to play with their ipads as consoles.

With so many games on my ipad, it was wonderful playing a lot of them on my tv, not all games work well like streetfighter games or games that have a lot of buttons. Games that use tilt actually work better in this console configuration, cause you just use the ipad as a joystick tilting, and the tv stays fixed and doesn't move. You can hold the ipad parallel to the ground which is nice. Racing games are on so wonderful and with airplay, they look just like arcade games.

In summary, it was AWESOME playing my new ipad as a console. I was l literary shocked how good it was. Highly highly highly recommend either getting an hdmi adapter or apple tv. If not you are missing out!!!
HDMI/AirPlay is one of my favorite ways to play. Apple TV 3rd generation will do 1080p AirPlay from iOS 6 devices, and AirServer on the Mac will also do 1080p AirPlay on big enough screens. Not sure how good the AirServer PC app is. But yeah.

I wish I had an HDMI to DisplayPort converter so I could play with a cable to my iMac 27". AirPlay is great but there can be glitches and delays associated with it, naturally, since it's got the unpredictability of radio frequencies and local network congestion to contend with.

There once was a list of games which specifically implemented a special full screen display via HDMI/AirPlay, it would be cool to refresh that list.

One of my favorite things about the TV out is Real Racing 2 HD Party Play mode. Wireless local multiplayer between iOS devices, with each screen showing a map and the iPad taking on the role of displaying the split screen out to the TV. That was pure magic right there, the first time I did that with my iPad 2. More games should do this kinda thing.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
Well imho airplay and tv out are still gimicks the way apple implemented it.. I mean really 1024 resolution on the homescreen? Huge borders all around.
Yeah some games support widescreen support via tvout/airplay but then i dont really want to play them on the big screen where its more than obvious that they dont compete with 5 year old consoles.

For me airplay is more good to stream movies and music to your tv.. But thats it.. and one should not forget the price of ipad, iphone, adapters or apple tvs..
Thats like ten times the price of current gen consoles.
Well, it is true that there are black bars on the home screen and most games, but if you have a big tv 40 inch or larger, the real estate is plenty big. You can always use wide or stretch mode to get a bigger picture if you want.

Only a couple of games seem to support airplay full screen, but wow, it is a cool concept to have your ipad as a joystick only with full screen map on it like in Real Racing 2.

But your right, it does well with movies, youtube, and music. I watched a movie planet earth on my tv from my ipad, it was full screen 1080p, it looked gorgeous. Today, I downloaded a lot of 1080p music videos off of tubebox and played 40 minutes of videos offline to my tv, they were crystal clear abeit letterboxing.

10x? I would counter that with, almost all of us here have an iphone. A lot of is ipads, so the only cost is the hdmi converter and hdmi cable for $50. Apple tv for wireless costs $99.

I'm not trying to say this is a replacement for a console, just a great addition to an ipad. Games play wonderfully on my tv. Movies play even bettter. Really impressive. Have to say, I shocked with how good it was...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury View Post
HDMI/AirPlay is one of my favorite ways to play. Apple TV 3rd generation will do 1080p AirPlay from iOS 6 devices, and AirServer on the Mac will also do 1080p AirPlay on big enough screens. Not sure how good the AirServer PC app is. But yeah.

I wish I had an HDMI to DisplayPort converter so I could play with a cable to my iMac 27". AirPlay is great but there can be glitches and delays associated with it, naturally, since it's got the unpredictability of radio frequencies and local network congestion to contend with.

There once was a list of games which specifically implemented a special full screen display via HDMI/AirPlay, it would be cool to refresh that list.

One of my favorite things about the TV out is Real Racing 2 HD Party Play mode. Wireless local multiplayer between iOS devices, with each screen showing a map and the iPad taking on the role of displaying the split screen out to the TV. That was pure magic right there, the first time I did that with my iPad 2. More games should do this kinda thing.
Oh, apple tv does 1080p for games and mirroring? Which should I get the hdmi connector or apple tv? Do I need a wireless router and computer hooked up to use apple tv, or Is there a way to use only a tv with apple tv and your ipad?

I am worried about lag or disruptions too. Is the resolution on mirroring mode the same on apple tv vs an hdmi connector? Which do you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Well, it is true that there are black bars on the home screen and most games, but if you have a big tv 40 inch or larger, the real estate is plenty big. You can always use wide or stretch mode to get a bigger picture if you want.

Only a couple of games seem to support airplay full screen, but wow, it is a cool concept to have your ipad as a joystick only with full screen map on it like in Real Racing 2.

But your right, it does well with movies, youtube, and music. I watched a movie planet earth on my tv from my ipad, it was full screen 1080p, it looked gorgeous. Today, I downloaded a lot of 1080p music videos off of tubebox and played 40 minutes of videos offline to my tv, they were crystal clear abeit letterboxing.

10x? I would counter that with, almost all of us here have an iphone. A lot of is ipads, so the only cost is the hdmi converter and hdmi cable for $50. Apple tv for wireless costs $99.

I'm not trying to say this is a replacement for a console, just a great addition to an ipad. Games play wonderfully on my tv. Movies play even bettter. Really impressive. Have to say, I shocked with how good it was...
The theory is to purchase these devices and accoutrements to replace the experience of a console. Of course, owning all the devices already and having to buy a HDMI connector kit is a minimal add on cost.

So, if you've got everything AND you are happy with the situation, then it's better than anything a console could ask for. The iPad is a million times better for my wife than a console, and you could give her the latest, greatest next generation console and she would pick the iPad in a second.

It is all about preference and desire. For Mr. Connector, it doesn't seem like the next generation systems are for him.

For me, due to some issues with my wrists, I can't game on consoles as easily now, so I prefer the iPad. Before this, though, I primarily played on the console and, as far as controls go, there is nothing like physical buttons on a perfectly designed ergonomic controller. I'd prefer playing the majority of the casual games I play using that kind of controller, as even with my issues, it would still be an improvement for many of the games.

If I didn't have the wrist issues, nothing compares to the depths of even original Xbox games, like KoTR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Forza (no, Real Racing/Asphalt doesn't count). I will never enjoy playing a platformer on a phone or tablet even remotely to the extent of on a console. But it's clear that I'm not the intended target for those games.

Anyway, I am rambling. To make the point simple, the iPad connected to a TV is a better gaming system than any console would be to MANY people. Widescreen or not. Physical controller or not. Specifically purchasing an iPad and an HDMI out connection or Apple TV instead of a console is silly, unless the library and cost of games on the iPad looks more appealing than on a console, something that is a truth for many people.

Quote:
Oh, apple tv does 1080p for games and mirroring? Which should I get the hdmi connector or apple tv? Do I need a wireless router and computer hooked up to use apple tv, or Is there a way to use only a tv with apple tv and your ipad?

I am worried about lag or disruptions too. Is the resolution on mirroring mode the same on apple tv vs an hdmi connector? Which do you recommend?

Thanks.
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get an Apple TV in expectation of streaming games. In no way does it work in any usable fashion. I can be connected to a router 5 feet away, the same router that my Apple TV is on, and it's impossible to use, and that's at 720p, at 1080p I can only fathom how terrible it would be.

Stick with what you have, send the $40 on the Duo gamer and focus on Gameloft games .
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM

well i cant speak for airplay compatibles games.. but anything else where you use mirroring results in a 1024*768 screen with heavy boxes all around on a 16:9 tv

of course on a big tv the image is bigger.. but its lowresolution shown in big which is not a bonus on my end.. i expected more when the apple tv3 came out.. but over time i ended up using it only to stream media content to the tv

for real gaming you need a good and fast wifi network at home to minimize lag and increase image quality.. in the end tv out via cable will always look better than compressed video stream over air.

still not impressed with it.. especially if you compare "bargain bin" gameloft crap clones to the "real" games they try to mimick on consoles & pc.

if you put stuff on the big screen you compete with consoles which the ipad is not capable yet. for gaming its a gimick.. a cool one.. but if i want to play a fps or a racing game on the big one.. i rather switch on the 360 or ps3 todo my bidding.

so bottom line.. if you want to play.. don't get an apple tv.. if you are fine with "just" streaming music, videos or pictures to it.. then go for it.. getting rid of the cable and streaming stuff all over the house is pretty nice (if you have more than one apple tv or airplay compatible sound hardware)