Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygamr View Post
Huh. Several game journalists have said it ran on Frostbite, even days before release. Doing a Google search, I find people saying it either uses Chameleon or Frostbite- can't find a definitive answer though, or anything Criterion has said. Now I'm confused. The wiki says Chameleon, so I'll just go with that. Wonder where the confusion came from
Straight from the NFS Twitter: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/sta...84390866644992

I guess it kind of seems like the Frostbite engine with the (somewhat) destructible environments though.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygamr View Post
NfSMW runs on Frostbite 2. Unless they completely recoded or ported the assets into another engine, which would take quite a bit of time, it seems most likely that the Vita version runs on Frostbite 2 as well.
Nope. Not even scientifically possible.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonmx View Post
Nope. Not even scientifically possible.
I have read articles talking about bringing frostbite to mobiles before so it is actually possible as the vita is still more powerful than pretty much any phone out there (note 2 is perhaps the only debatable one but vita has a better gpu I think), personally I care more about the games than the engine used although nice graphics are always a plus.

Most wanted on vita was pretty impressive but the lack of weather effects annoyed me a bit as I've even seen the PSP handle them in a decent way before. The lack of a bit of traffic bothered me less than I thought it would.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Vita is indeed more powerful than any of the mobile devices out there. But even Vita has a limit on its GPU and CPU. Frostbite 2 engine is a dedicated game engine for consoles and heavy-duty gaming PC. Sort of like cryENGINE 2 for Crysis games, which is very similar to the Frostbite 2 engine. If they are to port this engine, it's going to be a watered down version of the engine to the point where it doesn't even look like Frostbite 2.

The article you read is most likely about devs bringing Frostbite 1 or 1.5 to the mobile devices.

Last edited by zeonmx; 12-10-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Most wanted on vita was pretty impressive but the lack of weather effects annoyed me a bit as I've even seen the PSP handle them in a decent way before. The lack of a bit of traffic bothered me less than I thought it would.
You really aren't missing much. I own the PS3 version as well, and the weather effects are really... Lame? When it's raining, you don't see actual rain. Random water drops just pop up on the screen as a transparent 2D texture (like water on a lens)- that and the road is wet (the cool part, complete with water particles and mist/spray from driving on it, though it doesn't have to be raining for the road to be wet). I think the sky turns grey too, but really, it is nothing special and barely noticeable. Actually, I'm not even sure if there are weather effects. Might just be wet roads.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Anyone else getting annoyed lately by hit pieces on the Vita claiming it has no games, I actually think it's done pretty well for a single year I'm a little disappointed it's lacking a good FPS but it's still got plenty of good titles.

This is the article that just annoyed me, it has the vita listed as the biggest gaming disapointment of 2012 because it apparently has no games and COD was bad.

Probably shouldn't let it annoy me I just keep reading things like that and I'm happy enough with the games I've bought so far even Resistance wasn't all that bad.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Purchased Big Sky Infinity yesterday on PS3 to play on Vita, can't even install the damned thing due to a stupid error. Downloading it from Vita doesn't change a thing.

I'm totally fed up with this kind of crap, looks like there are bugs / glitches / patches /errors / ... everywhere I game nowadays.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Anyone else getting annoyed lately by hit pieces on the Vita claiming it has no games, I actually think it's done pretty well for a single year I'm a little disappointed it's lacking a good FPS but it's still got plenty of good titles.

This is the article that just annoyed me, it has the vita listed as the biggest gaming disapointment of 2012 because it apparently has no games and COD was bad.

Probably shouldn't let it annoy me I just keep reading things like that and I'm happy enough with the games I've bought so far even Resistance wasn't all that bad.
Several articles like that with the Vita listed as a disappointment/dumb move released yesterday. Kotaku listed it as a dumb move on their list of 'The Smartest & Dumbest Things Sony Did in 2012'. Gamasutra. Listed it as a disappointment on their list of 'The Biggest Disappointments of 2012'.

What I think is really dumb, is I've already read a few articles about the Vita being a failure/disappointment/whatever, and they blame the poorly made CoD game on the Vita rather than the people responsible for the game (Activision and Nihilistic- though Vicarious Visions was working on it before them). Really stupid.

Last edited by tygamr; 12-12-2012 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I read that Phantom Pain trailer is about a MGS Vita game. What do you think? It would be awesome!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkgames View Post
I read that Phantom Pain trailer is about a MGS Vita game. What do you think? It would be awesome!
It's just a rumor. The cause of it, is because of the hidden MGS V logo. They've never used roman numerals prior to that, so people are speculating that the V stands for Vita. It's kind of plausible, considering the Vita is capable of running fox engine (though I highly doubt it would look that good), we haven't even seen much of Ground Zeroes yet which is supposed to be a prequel to MGS 5- so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to reveal the fifth game yet, it doesn't seem like it would make sense to release two MGS game prior to MGS 5 either... But to be honest, the whole game is a mystery, other than the fact that it is somewhat obviously connected to MGS. I mean, the main character looks exactly like Naked Snake. Another possibility is that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are just the same game, but if so, why hide The Phantom Pain's identity as a MGS game?