Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

iPad retina?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Grabbed this because my son is a HUGE Mega Run lover and likes Monsters Inc., so a bit of a no-brainer at $1.

Played it for a bit last night and again this morning. It is, for better or worse, almost a 1:1 re-skin of Mega Run, only big change is the addition of the endless mode and lack of any ads. Small change with the "scare blocks" and detonators so they didn't completely phone it in, but if you've played the bejesus out of Mega Run, other than supporting the devs, there's nothing must have here.

On the other hand, if you've been looking for an endless mode Mega Run using Monsters Inc characters, well, they have the game for you
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I loved mega run, my only wish was that they would add multiplayer somehow... sigh..

The monsters inc re-skin looks good, but again, its just like playing it all over again... c'mon get set game...add mulitplayer at least!!! even better online multiplayer!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Developer of Mega Run/Monsters, Inc. Run here, just responding to some of your comments. Overall, I'm really glad you guys like Mega Run, and we're proud of what we've done with Monsters, Inc. Run:

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
This one looks quite good, but I will pass simply because I already own and enjoy Mega Run - and this seems to be more or less a re-skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
It is, for better or worse, almost a 1:1 re-skin of Mega Run...
Even with the quick development cycle, we focused on giving Monsters, Inc. Run a different mechanic in the form of tag-teams. While superficially the games seem very similar in a lot of ways (and they are for sure!), Monsters, Inc. Run does play out quite differently because of the different abilities of the characters. For instance:
  • Only Sulley can break through Scare Blocks
  • Only Mike can use cannons - Sulley destroys them
  • Mike doesn't cause falling platforms to fall, but Sulley does because he's heavy

We've created all the stages with these differences in mind, and also changed up a lot of the features and added new ones:
  • The order of appearance of the powerups is completely changed, making for very different level designs from the start
  • Bomb blocks are new
  • Speed pads are new
  • Bounce blocks are new
  • The features that appear in each world has been re-ordered

Add in all these changes into the level design, and the game ends up feeling and playing quite differently than Mega Run. It's subjective, I know, but I think we switched things up quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon31 View Post
Loved mega run and never paid a cent for hours of entertainment, because I never buy in app currency ever. A monsters inc themed version of this great game is an instant purchase at 99c just to support terriffic developers.
It also has a new endless mode.
A must buy!
Thanks! I held the top score in Endless mode for a little while there (Crinity), so that'll give you a target to shoot for

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
iPad retina?
iPad retina is tough to support especially while we're supporting non-retina as well. Retina graphics are 4x the size of non-retina and iPad 3/4 graphics are 4x the size of Retina graphics, so the game starts to become enormous once those are added in. As more and more iPad Retina devices start to appear, and non-retina disappears, there will likely be a switch, but it might not be a for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutSpoken View Post
I loved mega run, my only wish was that they would add multiplayer somehow... sigh..

The monsters inc re-skin looks good, but again, its just like playing it all over again... c'mon get set game...add mulitplayer at least!!! even better online multiplayer!
Never say never. There wouldn't have been enough development time to implement multiplayer in Monsters, Inc. Run, but we did add in Endless Mode, which is frenetic and fun. Multiplayer has crossed our lips before, but how and when are questions that can't be answered for now...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Looks great. I have no issue with the dev or Disney on this, especially since Disney also comes out with unique games like Where's My Water/Perry.

Given budget and development cycle, I would rather see a proven game and engine used than one of the many crappy movie tie-in games I've endured on DS and iOS over the years.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfury View Post
Even with the quick development cycle, we focused on giving Monsters, Inc. Run a different mechanic in the form of tag-teams. While superficially the games seem very similar in a lot of ways (and they are for sure!), Monsters, Inc. Run does play out quite differently because of the different abilities of the characters. For instance:
  • Only Sulley can break through Scare Blocks
  • Only Mike can use cannons - Sulley destroys them
  • Mike doesn't cause falling platforms to fall, but Sulley does because he's heavy

We've created all the stages with these differences in mind, and also changed up a lot of the features and added new ones:
  • The order of appearance of the powerups is completely changed, making for very different level designs from the start
  • Bomb blocks are new
  • Speed pads are new
  • Bounce blocks are new
  • The features that appear in each world has been re-ordered

Add in all these changes into the level design, and the game ends up feeling and playing quite differently than Mega Run. It's subjective, I know, but I think we switched things up quite a bit.
While I'll debate exactly what "quite differently" means in this context, yes, things are certainly different enough to justify the purchase. More importantly, both my kids say they prefer the Monsters Inc. version over Mega Run, so while the adult in the house may not see *that* much of a difference, the kids are giving you the thumbs up . My daughter (8) thinks she's better at MIR and my son (5) is wowed by the tag teams.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Just loaded up the update and it doesn't work, only endless mode unlocked and when you tap on it the game crashes. I'm using iPhone 5 on the latest iOS.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon31 View Post
Just loaded up the update and it doesn't work, only endless mode unlocked and when you tap on it the game crashes. I'm using iPhone 5 on the latest iOS.
Updated fine for me, I came here expecting a long thread of complaints since people were claiming this update didn't work in the Minigore 2 thread (and that update definitely is borked) and I find all of *you* saying the updated failed.

iOS 6.1 lastest release, iPod touch fifth generation, and everything works just fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Free now, and is highly recommended.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

And grabbed. Loved Mega Run, this is from the same devs, I see no downside to giving this some of my time.