★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Oceanhorn - New Zelda-inspired title from developers of Death Rally!

12-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 379
This looks to be another game that will look perfect and play perfectly on the iPad mini. Love how some games just feel like they were made for the device even though they were made for others and just happen to get compatibility :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoy View Post
Ask pbarillas how to make the character jump he's intelligent. He should answer. He sometimes doesn't answer though because he has other commitments like learning nursery rhymes, the alphabet and how to tie his shoe laces.
12-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I agree, if its 2013 its 2013, just frustrating when you dont hear anything. The game looks great but as you say if a games about to come out they try and drum up interest/hype about the upcoming game.

From the old video its looking really good but just frustrating not hearing anything specially in this day and age of twitter/facebook etc, much easier for companies to give 'some' news.
A lot of indie developers suffer from this, they don't quite have the marketing PR mindset because their focus is on the development of the game. It's a tough one because that is where their focus should be, I'm looking at expanding my consulting services to offer indie devs some marketing and PR help and advice. Of course I have to take into account their non-existent budgets but I love indie devs so I'm sure I can work something out.

Oceanhorn is a great example of an awesome looking game not getting the hype or interest it deserves simply because of a lack of communication with the community. I'm hoping they will ramp up their efforts closer to the release.

Beta Tester: Minigore, iBlast Moki 2
Now Playing: iBlast Moki 2, Minigore 2: Zombies, Angry Birds Star Wars
Waiting For: Oceanhorn
Plus ID: Salta

12-13-2012, 04:45 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
All it takes is a post/twitter message just to say 'Still going well with Oceanhorn, looking it should be Q1 2013...'

In the day of twitter/facebook or even forums, it just takes a minute to quickly post something to update people at once. So when its all silent people start to panic a bit.

Twitters great for following progress of a game, follow a few game devs reading the updates etc
12-13-2012, 04:57 AM
Don't worry - A little bird told me there's going to be a new blog post soon!

FDG Entertainment
Across Age, Banana Kong, Venture Kid, Blosics, Bloody Harry, Blueprint 3D, Blossom Tales, Monster Boy, Beyond Ynth, Tower Boxing, Paperama, Car Toons!, Chicken Raid, Clear Vision, Crystal Siege, Tentacle Wars, Expand it!, Captain Antarctica, Cover Orange, Roar Rampage, Slayin, Slide Circus, Oceanhorn, Parachute Panic, Physics Gamebox, Bobby Carrot Series and many more!
Follow us on Twitter
12-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future777 View Post
Don't worry - A little bird told me there's going to be a new blog post soon!
And all is good with the world again

Cheers
12-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future777 View Post
Don't worry - A little bird told me there's going to be a new blog post soon!
Great to hear
12-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 135
Update

More info next page.

Your friendly neighbourhood Cornfox

Last edited by Fox-One-1; 12-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas3686 View Post
A lot of indie developers suffer from this, they don't quite have the marketing PR mindset because their focus is on the development of the game. It's a tough one because that is where their focus should be, I'm looking at expanding my consulting services to offer indie devs some marketing and PR help and advice. Of course I have to take into account their non-existent budgets but I love indie devs so I'm sure I can work something out.

Oceanhorn is a great example of an awesome looking game not getting the hype or interest it deserves simply because of a lack of communication with the community. I'm hoping they will ramp up their efforts closer to the release.
Marketing and PR takes a lot of time from the developers themselves. Sometimes you need to sacrifice whole day of work, just to make a blog post. But there is a new blog post now at oceanhorn.blogspot.com! I am sorry for the long silence!

Your friendly neighbourhood Cornfox
12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 135
Oceanhorn blog update!

Oceanhorn.blogspot.com has been updated:


THURSDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2012

Oceanhorn of 2013 will be big and beautiful!



Oh man, how time flies. It has been a hectic year here at our studio. Oceanhorn project has grown from a 3D-tile tech demo into a full-blown adventure engine and the stuff that comes from the other end gives me goose bumps - of excitement. A year ago when we announced Oceanhorn, we never guessed how many people a simple announcement would attract. We learned that people wanted, no they needed an Action RPG like this for their iOS devices.

Because of your high expectations, we have worked hard and given all the time on our hands for the game. Everyday our adventure grows bigger, everyday the game becomes better, and everyday I'm more confident that this is what you players want. And that is what we are going to give for Oceanhorn - more time.

Oceanhorn that will be released in 2013 is a better game than the one that was initially planned for 2012.

After we released our last gameplay video, we got contacted by so many wonderful people who wanted to help us! One party stood out from the crowd. They were fans of the genre, they had played and loved the games that inspired Oceanhorn, and they had their best intentions to help us to give Oceanhorn all the polish it needs.

Now, Cornfox & Brothers are happy to announce that as an outcome of fruitful negotiations, we have begun cooperation with FDG Entertainment to bring you the best adventure game of 2013.

*** *** *** ***



Fantastic items and spells help you on your adventure

Cornfox is a three man team, so FDG comes in at perfect time to give us the privilege to concentrate on the game itself. Here is a summary of the things that we've worked on lately:

ITEMS
- Shield incoming attacks, bomb your way through walls, snipe down enemies with a bow, dodge roll and jump over ledges with trencher boots.

SPELLS
- We have implemented exciting interactive spells! Line up enemies for perfect FIRE shot. Throw items at enemies with FORCE spell.




Last arrow - make it count



UPGRADES
- Use your hard earned money to improve your Items and Spells. You get more arrows and bombs, your sword deals more damage and you get new properties for your items.

CONTROLS
- Floating Directional Controls: People have spoken and we listened. Big virtual stick is now gone. Game will include control options for all tastes.

BATTLE
- We are very pleased how items and spells gave much needed depth to the combat. There is nothing more pleasing than shooting down a Crapybara (that red insect thing) from a ledge, or performing an perfect dodge roll before Ogre hits you with a hammer and counterattacking him from behind.


Old Fortress hides a secret

ADVENTURE
- Switches, spikes, arrow traps, raising blocks, laser turrets and intelligent enemy respawning gives you hard time in dungeons and temples, but you will love every puzzling minute of it.

VISUALS
- Project started in 2010, so the character model in all its 800 polygon glory started to show its age. Well, we have a new higher polygon main character model now - better suited for adventures played in 2013!

CINEMATICS and STORY
- Epic adventure needs epic storytelling, starring Ray Chase as hero's father's voice.

SOCIAL
- Compare your BRAVE RANK together with your friends. Are you a Rookie Adventurer, Treasure Hunter or simply a Legend. Brave Rank tracks your every kill, discovered treasure chest and completed challenge to give you bragging rights.

*** *** *** ***

Graveyard Island - one of the many small islands with side quests

See?! A lot of great stuff is coming up and our cooperation with FDG Entertainment is going to provide Oceanhorn something even more amazing, but we will tell you more about that later!

Have a great holidays and see you in 2013. Remember, we might be silent, but it only means we are working. Constantly. All the time. Until it's out.

Your friendly neighbourhood Cornfox
12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
Difficult to read with those huge screen grabs

But a great update, happy to hear its all going well and it'll be next year. Perhaps it was just me but i was a fan of that big virtual stick ! Hope you can still have that as an option.

Thanks for the update, something to look forward to next year. The screenshots look great