Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by frasermorgan View Post
Metal Slug 1 has iCade support!
Thanks, I just got on here to see if anyone knew if this game did. I really enjoy playing Metal Slug 3 with the iCade, feels like playing a Neo Geo arcade. I was hoping that this one would support it too.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Raiden Legacy has iCade support!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxlabo View Post
Raiden Legacy has iCade support!
Cool—looks great! And vertical too!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Active Soccer supports iCade. It's great without it.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamraman View Post
Active Soccer supports iCade. It's great without it.
Good to know. It’s this one, right (not Active Soccer Challenge)?

http://appshopper.com/games/active-soccer

By the way, I just noticed that the iPad will connect to multiple bluetooth keyboards at once. Could be nice for games where one player uses the stick and another uses the buttons, but the main reason it’s useful: it gives you a way to type (player names, searches, iTunes PW) without unlinking the iCade or waiting for it to sleep.

Not as nice as having the software keyboard available, though—which CAN be done whilt a BT keyboard is connected (Textastic has a button for that) but I’ve never seen a game do it.

I’m thinking that if/when I finish my game(s) I’ll TRY to include some iCade button combo that will toggle the software keyboard; like pressing all 4 black buttons together without touching the stick. That’s unlikely to happen in actual gameplay, so it could be used across multiple different games as an informal “standard” of sorts. Haven’t tried it yet. (Better yet would be if the hardware would send the “show keyboard” signal like the button on Apple’s old dock—but iCade doesn’t have that feature.)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM

I was just given an 8-bitty as an early Xmas present. It's great, but so many games either don't support icade when running on an iPhone, or have very strange mappings (partly due to the bit where it's buttons are placed oddly in comparison to the full size cabinet)

A plea to developers: the 8-bitty is awesome! But flawed because of its unusual mappings. But with minimal work you should be able to create an option where thr player could pick which icade device they have, and it customizes the buttons to be morecomfortable for that device. If I know a game supports my choice of controls, I would definitely be more apt to spend money on it!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisonaxe View Post
I was just given an 8-bitty as an early Xmas present. It's great, but so many games either don't support icade when running on an iPhone, or have very strange mappings (partly due to the bit where it's buttons are placed oddly in comparison to the full size cabinet)

A plea to developers: the 8-bitty is awesome! But flawed because of its unusual mappings. But with minimal work you should be able to create an option where thr player could pick which icade device they have, and it customizes the buttons to be morecomfortable for that device. If I know a game supports my choice of controls, I would definitely be more apt to spend money on it!
Just managed to find the information about the button layout and it's so weird... I'm thinking that with so many different controllers, each with a different layout, maybe the best would be to just let players configure button layout completely... otherwise you'd have to update the game each time a new iCade "compatible" controller comes out...

I use the two red icade buttons in my game because I leave the other six for the second player but also because those two map to the a and b buttons on the GameDock. With the 8bitty those buttons map to one of the select/start buttons and a shoulder button... pretty hard to play like that I think...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I'm the opposite, i dont like using the two red buttons as theyre the closest ones to the joystick. Need to space it out a bit more, eg the white or 2nd column of black buttons.

Its a pain so many games have different layouts specially on the 8-bitty where you have to use the shoulder buttons a lot. Its still great though but could be improved for many games. But i'm thankful for any iCade support we get
Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

The classic iCade is pretty playable with most button configs out there. I am thinking that developers (who don't want to do button mapping options) should just base it on whatever is best for 8 bitty. This would make most people happy.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife View Post
The classic iCade is pretty playable with most button configs out there. I am thinking that developers (who don't want to do button mapping options) should just base it on whatever is best for 8 bitty. This would make most people happy.
I must admit the first thing i tried was iMAME and the buttons on the 8-bitty were fine for that so that was the main app i wanted working. Others such as some platformers (Think Mos Speedrun was one) had a shoulder button for jump which is a pain but thankfully MAME is okay