Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemusedbear View Post
This game is amazing and addictive. Amazing soundtrack. Easy to pick up gameplay that becomes more complex as you unlock more ship options.

You could call it a 4x lite because it definetly has the explore expand exploit exterminate. But simplified for portable play. Resource gathering and production is consolidated into a single mobile unit (but later in the game your mother ship can be in more than one place at once with the use of warp gates). You are also limited to 3 moves a turn which adds some tough decisions to the grand strategy.

The actual battles are a lane RTS where you deploy your various ships in one of five lanes. Each ship type is on a timer a la PvZ. At first you only have 3 ship types that are in a rock paper scissors interaction. But more ship types can be unlocked that break out of this chain.

The visual style, sound effects, and interface are all well polished. But the real standout is the soundtrack - it's worth playing just for the soundtrack. Haunting and epic. Reminds me of inception a bit.
Yeah...haven't played it yesterday, but what got me to check out the description in the appstore on my iphone (I'm on 5.1.1, so I can still browse releases by date/time) was the icon...after seeing the graphic style, I immediatly DL'ed it to my PC (you never know when a game starts out free for less than a day before going paid).
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
^
Yeah..I'm not a big 4x person but I see some simplified signs of it. You explore and gather resources (using a simplified system). You build different types of ships and can split up your fleet. The combat feels like these "castle defense" games (like Lengendary Wars) with multiple lanes.

There's more ships and other things to unlock via in game credits you earn, whether you win or lose. There's no IAP at all, even for the normal shortcut impatient variety. For me, the best thing is each game is so short (5-10 minutes for my games) that I don't mind losing and not feel like having "wasted" a bunch of time.

The only thing I wish is a fast forward button on the battle screen, especially when I know I'm going to lose. Otherwise..fun game! I'm not a big fan of 4x games, but this is one of the few that I really enjoy and want to try another game after I Irish the current one, win or lose. Especially for a free game, no reason not to give it a try! :-)
Strange. It's free...no advertisements or iaps? Gotta watch out before updating.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Watched about 7 seconds of Sanuku's vid. The opening music...it's freaking great. Sounds like something from a major commercial release.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
The only thing I wish is a fast forward button on the battle screen, especially when I know I'm going to lose.
If you know you're going it lose, there's a surrender option on the pause menu.

Do bigger planets generate more resources? What about the large white planet, there seems to be one per map? I think it mentioned something about the size of planets in the tutorial, but I don't remember...
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLW View Post

Do bigger planets generate more resources? What about the large white planet, there seems to be one per map? I think it mentioned something about the size of planets in the tutorial, but I don't remember...
Lol..yeah.. But the time for the animation when I surrender with my mother ship feels like it takes forever... ;-)

Not sure if size of planets makes a difference. So far, if I need resources, I try to park my mother ship on a planet with a bunch of planets connected to it. I think I should start to learn to park my mother ship, farm resources, build a new fleet of ships and split the fleet to use the new ships to explore.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM

I'm liking this a lot
It's simple but not simplicistic
I think it deserves to be paid for
Add Retina support ( i think it doesn't have it, edges are blurry), and i wouldn't mind supporting with money
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLW View Post

The large white planet is actually a sun. The sun is a good thing to have for resources. Plus, if you get into a battle while on the sun you'll always battle on a sun battleground
Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 PM

I hope that everyone out there would stop advertising this Game as the new Homeworld Type of Game. This Game has, expect the Art, nothing in common with Homeworld. While Relic is still obviously to dumb to see the potential of Homeworld after all those Years and instead is preferring to developer their 1.000.000 World War/Warhammer RTS Title it`s true that Sidius Nova is an nice little Game but it`s so far away from the all mighty Homeworld that I almost puke when I saw on some Website someone pulling the Homeworld Card.

Besides that:

Yes there are some great Tracks on the Soundtrack and I can only advise everyone to get it while it`s still only one Buck.

Sidius Nova OST:
Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliquid View Post
Add Retina support ( i think it doesn't have it, edges are blurry), and i wouldn't mind supporting with money
Yes it's non-retina. Which I did think was odd. If they do make this a paid app they need to add retina graphics imo.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
I hope that everyone out there would stop advertising this Game as the new Homeworld Type of Game. This Game has, expect the Art, nothing in common with Homeworld. While Relic is still obviously to dumb to see the potential of Homeworld after all those Years and instead is preferring to developer their 1.000.000 World War/Warhammer RTS Title it`s true that Sidius Nova is an nice little Game but it`s so far away from the all mighty Homeworld that I almost puke when I saw on some Website someone pulling the Homeworld Card.

Besides that:

Yes there are some great Tracks on the Soundtrack and I can only advise everyone to get it while it`s still only one Buck.

Sidius Nova OST:
Thanks for reminding me that I have Homeworld 1, 2, and all the expansions buried somewhere in my closet. Time to see how they run on Windows 7. Never tried Homeworld 3; it came out years after the first 2 and, IIRC, dunmbed down the gameplay according to reviews at the time.

I'm no fan of RTS's (I prefer mine turn based), but the combination of being able to issue orders when paused, a fantastic story, and being the first RTS (I THINK) to use bothe the x- and y- axis made those games forever memorable to me.