Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 AM

Default The Grading Game (by mode of expression) [Universal]

Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 6.x

Looks like this game was made for me.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 6.x

I bouhgt this game and its quiet good! Grammar nazis will LOVE this game, and its quiet funny, to!

Highly reccommended!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

This is one the App Store's hidden little gems - fantastic game, and really well put together. It also does something a different to the mass of generic trash that gets pumped out into the store on a daily basis. Best buy of the year (of all 6 days so far). The only criticism is that the time limits are punishing beyond belief, however it would seem that the developer is releasing an update to make things a little easier.

Nice to see something new out there.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I do love me some grammar and spelling coreccting, so I naturaly hoped on bored with this game imediitely.

At first, I was loving it. It was a little disappointing that there was a timer, but now I have warmed up to that feature. I was originally hoping it would be a game where you sit down and read a paper and see how many mistakes you can correct. That sounds super fun to me! The way they approach it, with the timer and everything, makes more sense, though.

I still wish there were a mode where you could just read essays and leisurely, at your own pace, correct the myriad mistakes you come across.

I'm still enjoying my time with the game immensely, but there are some things that are starting to bother me a lot: consistency with grammar rules, and patterns.

By patterns, I mean the obvious programming language they used to make the game. It's not like every word can be misspelled, and every sentence can have a grammatical mistake within it. Only certain words in the text will be misspelled, and only some sentences get "and" added to them to make them run-ons. I hope it makes sense, what I'm saying, but even though I doubt it would be very easy to program a totally random game like that, it is still unfortunate that it's so painfully obvious how they made the game... I suppose that's a nitpick, though, and more a sign that I should quit playing than a legitimate point of lambast.

The thing that does bother me most, though, is the consistency the game has... rather, the lack of consistency it has. It isn't too apparent, but I've run into many problems where I corrected a word that should have been capitalized, and it penalized me, but other times it penalized me for not capitalizing it. One paper has something about E. Coli. It was E. coli, so I corrected the Coli, but it counted it wrong... two games later, it was E. Coli-I corrected it, and it was apparently wrong.

Another instance I can pinpoint is "Internet". I kept tapping "Internet" because I thought it was not capitalized, but the game insists that it is. So I went with it. Well I stumble across a sentence where the word "Internet" is not capitalized, so I capitalize it. Guess what... the game penalized me for it.

There have been a lot of other random occurrences that I can't reproduce in text for you guys, but trust me, I've stumbled across many an-instance of this game's lack of consistency penalizing me for things that I thought were right, but the game found wrong.

A smaller problem is the U.K. and U.S. spellings of words like colour/color, etc. You can usually tell with the subject matter, and the location of the research, if the paper is U.K.-based or U.S.-based, but it would be nicer of the game to let you know whether or not you're reading a paper based in the United Kingdom or the United States. I have been penalized for tapping a word similar to color, and penalized for tapping a word similar to colour.

Regardless of these disappointing experiences, this is indeed a very fun game. I'm sorry for being so harsh. I have spent a lot of time with the game, though (perhaps too much), and wanted to echo my thoughts for this board!

P.S. Leaderboards are broken.