Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Only flaw is tha game length is too short. But other than that, this is one of those one-tap control games that definitely shine.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM
iPad (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Only flaw is tha game length is too short. But other than that, this is one of those one-tap control games that definitely shine.
Would have to agree with that comment 100%! Dev, please add more content and mix up the timing a smidgen.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Now this is beautiful but I just handed it to my 10 year old son and he completed it first time. He's chuffed but now i wanna show him the old Commodore 64 one which had proper combat (for it's day). Just needs more than one tap combat I feel. Something to give it a bit more depth for a proper sense of achievement.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

When you think about it, this is Infinity Blade converted to one-taps instead of directional swipes and button taps.

You cant attack without first defending, and completing a defense sequence opens up the enemy for a combo, similar to Infinity Blade's break system. And all the battles are done 1v1. Also, movement is limited to moving forward. You pickup flowers the same way you open chests or pickup items in IB. The special attack/stun too, is something that was in IB.

If in later updates Karateka can add "multiple paths" it should enhance the game's replayability a bit.

I know this'll be a longshot, but Karateka may need a recurring story arc similar to Legend of Kage where during a walk after rescuing the damsel, she gets kidnapped again type of thing. Then again, it isnt an RPG where the more you play the more it gets rewarding by levelling up and stuff.

My $0.02.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

I humbly disagree, as explained in my earlier post. The tap mechanic is broken. Even on an iPad 3/4, the taps do not register properly at random. This is especially true when you have to do a tap-and-hold to approach and then a quick tap to initiate a defense. The latter tap sometimes fails to register, as if the game is deliberately "blanking" out a period of not registering any touch. As well, for a game this relies so heavily on rhythmic mechanics, a fail tap frequently cascades into a series of mistimed taps that cause significant loss of your energy bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
iPhone 5

Default Karateka

I don't notice anything broken with tap mechanic. My 7 year old got to the final boss with the monk first time he played on our iPad3, then won with the brute. He liked it, but had no desire to play again.

The new Karateka is a fun experience. It feels more like an OVA or machinima than a game. I can understand why this approach was selected - it's extremely-accessible - gives casual players the feeling that they are a butt kicking martial artist without needing much in the way of arcade skills. The "barely there" gameplay avoids frustration and complaints about controls that would surely come with a more difficult/complex game. The only frustration in this game is the bowing bug, which I ran into.

As a big fan of the original, I don't mind the dumbed down difficulty - except for the hawk, the original wasn't very hard either - there you could beat all enemies in hand to hand combat including the general by simply standing and kicking any time an opponent got close. In the original, the variety of attacks (except in the hawk battle) was mostly eye candy - the 2012 remake doesn't lose much by having attack variations be automatically selected. What I miss most in the 2012 version is the lack of traps, which added a fun and memorable puzzle element to the original title.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Your observation of how your kid played the game actually underlies the problem I am trying to convey. With True Love, the tap mechanic used for defense is insensitive enough to have the precision needed to match the opponent's attack. The inherent slight lag and/or random failure to register taps make it impossible to play True Love consistently enough to win. With Monk and Brute, the imprecision and lag issues are partially offset by the lesser demand in timing precision by the game, hence the success in beating the game with the other characters.

You can test this out for yourself by playing only as True Love and take careful observation to the number of times of a seemingly perfect timed defense fail. Now do the same with Monk and Brute. You can see that there is a huge leap in difficulty in completing the game. I do not believe this is by design. Rather, this leap is due to the fact that the tap mechanic cannot be executed with enough precision required by the level of difficulty for True Love (remember that this is a multi-platform game; the game was principally designed for the console, not the iPad; thus, the core mechanics were designed to work with the console and not the iPad). You can, of course, dumb down True Love, only this is a workaround for a broken mechanic and not a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
I don't notice anything broken with tap mechanic. My 7 year old got to the final boss with the monk first time he played on our iPad3, then won with the brute. He liked it, but had no desire to play again.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 12-27-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Old 12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Very strange thread. On one hand is Toucharcade and Toucharcade staff. They seem to love it. On the other side is most everyone else. Hmmm... Too bad, wish this game was liked by all.

Guess I will wait til the inevidable 99 cent sale and possible content update, cause these threads of TA vs non TA, are never any fun. Too bad, game had a lot of potential.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Very strange thread. On one hand is Toucharcade and Toucharcade staff. They seem to love it. On the other side is most everyone else. Hmmm... Too bad, wish this game was liked by all.

Guess I will wait til the inevidable 99 cent sale and possible content update, cause these threads of TA vs non TA, are never any fun. Too bad, game had a lot of potential.
I really hope Mechner still has a proper remake up his sleeve for this game. Smething along the lines of Prince of Persia Classic would be awesome.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
I really hope Mechner still has a proper remake up his sleeve for this game. Something along the lines of Prince of Persia Classic would be awesome.
Well said, I don't mind paying for the original (8-bit graphics) in either IAP, or a separate, or both.