Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Creepy Dungeons (by Victor Bovio) [Universal]

This looks interesting. Awaiting impressions.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I'm grabbing it as Gem Twyx is still one of my favorite gem swapper games so I know this developer CAN do some decent stuff.

On the surface, at least, it looks like Pac-Man with fun items.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Wow, this one rocks hard!

It is exactly as I predicted, Pac-Man with cool items and twists.

The game has 3 pretty unique modes (not simply palette swaps, but different rules in play) but all share some basics aspects in common. In all modes your objective is to grab all of the little pearls on the level at which point some stairs will randomly appear somewhere on the level for you to take to reach the next level (a new maze, not sure how many variants are in the game so far). While avoiding the monsters you're bound to find bow and arrows which, when grabbed, will give you a finite amount of arrows to shoot at the baddies (I think it is typically 5 arrows a quiver and you can never carry more than 20 at any one time). While these arrows are thankfully one shot killers, with only 20 arrows generated per level, you'll need to use your ammo conservatively. Also common in all modes are treasure chests. These will usually hold a magic potion (one of multiple special powers that can often kill multiple enemies in a single shot) but might also contain any of the dungeons other items like treasure, ammo, food, etc. In order to open a chest you must have a key (one you found on this level or perhaps left over from a previous level as the found keys remain with player until used or the game ends, unlike potions which are only good on the level you found them). Food is a means to gain extra lives once you've gathered enough of it to fill your food bar. Lastly there are some fun bonus items that pop up at random intervals that will temporarily increase your point multiplier, slow all of the monsters down, or even, in one case, instantly kill all monsters on the level (not to worry, just like Pac-Man, after a brief pause they'll come right back out of the central generator)! Lastly, killing monster by any means in the game will net you a few points and if you manage to kill multiple monsters in rapid succession (like no more than just a handful of seconds in between) the later kills will be at double the value of the last kill (ala Pac-Man).

Now onto the unique aspects of each mode:

-Monster World: Here you are dealing with the kings of horror, Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, the Wolfman, and the Creature of the Black Lagoon as you devious Pac-Man like ghosts. While in the early levels the various monsters just seem to be cute graphical variations of the same beast, as the levels progress each of these classic monsters slowly starts revealing unique powers!

-Zombie World: In this world we lose the 5 unique monsters and instead face HORDES OF ZOMBIES IN THE DARK! It isn't completely dark, mind you, but you only see some small part of the screen immediately surrounding our hero at a time. In this mode careful ammo management is a MUST for your survival! A couple of unique twists in this mode is the inclusion of a torch item (once you find it the whole level is lit up for the rest of your time there) and a skeleton key (in Zombie World there are many locked doors in the middle of the maze and once you find this key on a level, for the rest of the level you can freely pass through these secret 1 space passages ways between corridors the zombies can't follow you through).

-Big Challenge: This mode simply combines both modes so it's pretty much Zombie World with all of the classic monsters running about in it as well!

My only whine about the game, and it might be me more than the controls themselves, is that I often found myself slipping off the game's 4 direction arrows over on the right hand side of the screen (especially when playing on the iPod Touch as it was a bit easier to manage on the iPad). Almost all of my deaths were due to me getting stuck up against a wall as I fumbled to hit the right key to move on. This becomes a bigger issue in later levels where the mazes appear to get much more winding.

4.5/5
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks for your detailed impressions, Lord Gek! Your posts are always appreciated and factor heavily into my purchasing decisions. This game sounds like a definite go!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Yep - i'll take a pop at this.
Just had a pop. I think this would be perfect with swipe controls. Missing so many turnings with the arrows. Perfect for iCade too but swipe would make it almost perfect.

Last edited by slamraman; 12-22-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
iPad Air

Could be great, but it's almost unplayable without swipe controls; especially on an iPhone/iPod.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 AM

Hello guys,
I'm very happy to see people like the game, I have received good feedback and this motivates me to consider an update/expansion, or at least check to add swipe controls.
@LordGek Thanks for the nice review
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Tempted to get this but concerned about controls.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM

The screenshots vaguely remind me of gauntlet, a game I used to play back in the eighties .. is this game like gauntlet ?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM

It sounds interesting but seems pricey for what it looks like. Concerning that you said maybe consider updates