We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

View Poll Results: Is Canabalt worth $2.99?
Yes 212 35.04%
No 293 48.43%
Not my type of game 100 16.53%
Voters: 605. You may not vote on this poll
01-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,855
Another thing to consider is that everyone values their money vastly differently, so price discussion often adds nothing of value to a thread as it's so highly personal. Obviously if you're super young, and only get iTunes credit on birthdays and holidays you're going to infinitely scrutinize every cent you spend on games. Comparatively, if you're fortunate enough to have disposable income, spending a buck or two on video games every few days isn't a big deal. There's just not much reason to talk about it, as those two types of people will likely never see eye to eye.

What they will be able to discuss on a level playing field is how good the game is, how fun it is, strategy for playing it, etc. I guess I liken it to Yelp reviews that focus on entree pricing at restaurants. I don't care how much the food costs because I've already mentally committed to the idea of going out to a restaurant, and the requisite associated costs. What I care about is whether or not it's good- I think video games are very similar.
01-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
If it's a sale just after it's released, or a freemium turn, then everyone who bought it just complains that it was a waste of their money

If it's a freemium version of a big game, then everyone argues that the devs just want more money and they go and play different games

And in Dead Triggers case...well, the less said the better
Yeah, thanks kindly to you and Vovin, I have learned so much today about appstore pricing and the impacts of it on Toucharcade. Haha!

In all seriousness though (yes, sometimes I can be serious!), it is kind of interesting how pricing issues seems to go in cycles. At first, it was games going free after you bought them, then a lot of games started converting to freemium or free, then more recently it seems that developers have been shafting early adopters by going on sale or free in 3 days after release.

Also, take into account many games now are throwing in a lot of inapps and going to more of a freemium model. Even Chillingo nowadays seems to be going in that route of converting to free or freemium in a month. But it is great to have a lot of Indies still that are trying to make it in the appstore, and as Vovin said, it is great to be able to buy such great games for a buck. Really happy about that cause I can keep collecting endless games.

Yeah, about Dead Trigger, yeah, mum is the word... I sure hope it never converts back to a pay app again! Imagine the horror!

01-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Another thing to consider is that everyone values their money vastly differently, so price discussion often adds nothing of value to a thread as it's so highly personal. Obviously if you're super young, and only get iTunes credit on birthdays and holidays you're going to infinitely scrutinize every cent you spend on games. Comparatively, if you're fortunate enough to have disposable income, spending a buck or two on video games every few days isn't a big deal. There's just not much reason to talk about it, as those two types of people will likely never see eye to eye.

What they will be able to discuss on a level playing field is how good the game is, how fun it is, strategy for playing it, etc. I guess I liken it to Yelp reviews that focus on entree pricing at restaurants. I don't care how much the food costs because I've already mentally committed to the idea of going out to a restaurant, and the requisite associated costs. What I care about is whether or not it's good- I think video games are very similar.
Finally.

Twitter: @back2this
01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,766
The TouchArcade app is a total rip-off.
01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
The TouchArcade app is a total rip-off.
Is it worth my buck???




Just kidding!!!
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The rainbow-fuelled nightmare of my mind
Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Is it worth my buck???




Just kidding!!!
Seeing as it's free, I reckon it isn't, though it would be if the people at Touch Arcade are hit with a dumb-ray and decide to increase the price

I'm pretty much going to reply to every question on this topic you add 'Just Kidding' to...have I been hit by that dumb-ray?

Just kidding!!!
01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Planet 10 (by way of the 8th dimension)
Posts: 6,666
Awe cool, a new dump thread for price talk!

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
01-09-2013, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
Awe cool, a new dump thread for price talk!
Quit being such a cynic. I created this thread to clear the air up as to whether can we or can we not discuss about a game's price in its thread. If others want to hijack this thread and make it look like a joke, that's up to them.
01-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: The rainbow-fuelled nightmare of my mind
Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_dabinski View Post
Quit being such a cynic. I created this thread to clear the air up as to whether can we or can we not discuss about a game's price in its thread. If others want to hijack this thread and make it look like a joke, that's up to them.
I'm sorry...I hope you can forgive me
01-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
I'm pretty much going to reply to every question on this topic you add 'Just Kidding' to...have I been hit by that dumb-ray?

Just kidding!!!
Just kidding!!!