Dragonvale: Strategies/Tips (NOT an add me thread)

01-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,095
@dean, AK, distar.....thanks so much for sharing your LY combos, I will give these a try if time permits, bless your helpful hearts

Good luck with Garnet
01-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota US
Posts: 1,186
Sweet! Garnet on first try! Maybe it's payback for all the Platinum fails. Obsidian/Smoke - I like when they use a combo of new dragons.

@GP- good luck with LY #2! If you miss out, at least you can still breed the LY you have with a Rainbow. Quicksilver/Ghost is an interesting LY combo, but with lots of big time fail possibilities. Grats on Paper and Turquoise!

GC id: Foxtail20

Last edited by Foxtail2010; 01-02-2013 at 07:47 AM.

01-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Defiance
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtail2010 View Post
Sweet! Garnet on first try! Maybe it's payback for all the Platinum fails. Obsidian/Smoke - I like when they use a combo of new dragons.

@GP- good luck with LY #2! If you miss out, at least you can still breed the LY you have with a Rainbow. Quicksilver/Ghost is an interesting LY combo, but with lots of big time fail possibilities. Grats on Paper and Turquoise!
Congrats on the Garnet ! I decided to wait till tomorrow to try since half the failures are limiteds and I still need the Emerald egg.

Just got two Ghost failures (12 hrs 30min) but guess I will have one more try tonight before Emerald is gone till May. I remember that this is why I did not do the eggs the first time around, it took me almost the entire month to get the Emerald dragon

GC dean288367
01-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Well as I begin going for Garnet I figured I'd look back at what I picked up from the limited dragon explosion.

Leap Year - 3
Blue Moon - 3
Paper - 2
Sakura - 2
Bloom - 2
Butterfly - 2

As well as 2 Gifts and my second Apocalypse.

Overall a successful last couple weeks in December for me.

Now onto the long fails of Garnet...

Got lost on my way to GameFAQs...
GID: stlredbird
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
My results from the limited dragon explosion were so-so. On the one hand, I got the two limited dragons I was missing (equinox and Paper, i even managed a second paper). On the other hand, I tried for ages for a second love, sakura, butterfly, and present, and NADA. So I guess it went ok. Still trying for a second Apocalypse and present, and soon to try for the new garnet.
01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota US
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean288367 View Post
Congrats on the Garnet ! I decided to wait till tomorrow to try since half the failures are limiteds and I still need the Emerald egg.

Just got two Ghost failures (12 hrs 30min) but guess I will have one more try tonight before Emerald is gone till May. I remember that this is why I did not do the eggs the first time around, it took me almost the entire month to get the Emerald dragon
Thanks!
Yeah, if I remember right, the Emerald was the first gem dragon and it came out mid month (May) ... so I only managed 1 Emerald. We were all pretty upset that we didn't get more time for that one. So thanks to the "Limited Dragon Explosion" (LDE) I got everything I needed:

1 Emerald (egg)
2 Leap Year
1 Paper (#2)
2 Apocalypse & 2 Gift (not exactly part of the LDE)

Still struggling to get that *$#@% Platinum. Grrr.

GC id: Foxtail20

Last edited by Foxtail2010; 01-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.
01-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Still can't believe how tough the second Gift dragon is. Just got an 8 hour fail (Evergreen, I think). I managed to get my second Blue Moon, Love and Solstice. I also got a platinum! The only thing I'm missing is a Gold Olympus and I am so over it, I'm not even trying to get it anymore. My first 2 garnet fails have been 12 hour Smokes. But, it's a long month, not worried about it!
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: North Queensland, Australia
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtail2010 View Post
Sweet! Garnet on first try! Maybe it's payback for all the Platinum fails. Obsidian/Smoke - I like when they use a combo of new dragons.

@GP- good luck with LY #2! If you miss out, at least you can still breed the LY you have with a Rainbow. Quicksilver/Ghost is an interesting LY combo, but with lots of big time fail possibilities. Grats on Paper and Turquoise!
Quicksilver/ghost had outcomes that included glacier and platinum, so I figured the chances of me getting something I actually wanted were pretty good. I'd started with quicksilver/paper as that included gift as well. I always go for something that offers me as many chances as possible for dragons I don't have

Hope I get garnet quickly so I can go back to trying for platinum.
01-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, and all the best for 2013!!

This Garnet may prove to be a pain. Just finished my failed apocalypse 48 hour, and got double 48 hour Garnet fails :-O

When does the Apocalypse leave?
01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy26 View Post
Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, and all the best for 2013!!

This Garnet may prove to be a pain. Just finished my failed apocalypse 48 hour, and got double 48 hour Garnet fails :-O

When does the Apocalypse leave?
9th of Jan, I think.

Wonder what's in store for us in terms of major updates. We have been given a major boost in our money making potential with increased epic habitat capacities. It may lead to extra expensive new islands or (god forbid) platinum shrines.

Icon is a window to game's soul...