So regarding free versions of apps that act as demos...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by chubigans, Jan 3, 2013.

1. chubigans

chubigans Active Member
    Patreon Silver

#1 chubigans, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    I have a game out right now called Cook, Serve, Delicious! that is getting really nice reviews via users. There's also a free version that acts as a demo, just like the PC version. It has about 20-30 minutes of gameplay before it halts and asks the user to buy the full app. The free version is getting pretty bad reviews from people, calling it a "scam" in some countries and such.

What I'm wondering is whether the free version was a mistake of sorts. Sales are going well, at about 10-15% of the daily downloads of the free version, which is great. I know not to label it a "demo" as Apple doesn't particularly encourage that. But what exactly should I do about bad reviews? I've changed the iTunes description so that it's more up front about what's in the demo, as well as changing the screenshots. But should I just shake off the bad reviews in the free version?

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    No its just people are jerks. Games that don't work on a device gets bad reviews regardless. By the way is a iPod touch version in the works?

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I looked at your description on the App Store and it seems to be quite frank in stating that only two days of gameplay is included in the free version.

Maybe the confusion is due to demos being labelled as lite versions instead of free versions on the App Store.

4. chubigans

chubigans Active Member
    Patreon Silver

#4 chubigans, Jan 3, 2013
    It will be in the works once I get the iPad version loaded with content updates. :D

Oh, that is a good point about being Lite instead of Free! I'll change it in the next build, thanks!

5. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #5 ThreeCubes, Jan 3, 2013
    Great app I will add some good uk feed back to the free version, in the description it says you get two full days of gameplay, I'm guessing you mean "in game days" not 48 hourof playtime. Might want to change that to.

Somebody put a 1 star "it's a con" review in the uk. He was conned out of his no money.

Also why not use the device compatibility matrix to spot people with an iPad 1 downloading it?