Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Ok got it.

Now i am back in the regular game... Got that stupid autosave bug again. 3xxxxx days old lol
    Already twittered Trent about it again

Attached Files:

2. ProgPariah77

ProgPariah77 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I've spent a good 30 hours with this game so far (playing on an iPad 3), and I have to say that it is definitely the most robust gaming experience I've had on the iOS. I am confident that the team will continue to tweak the game, and I do hope that BG II will be ready for the App Store by the time I've finished this one! Also would love to see Planescape: Torment and all the other Infinity Engine titles ported to the iOS. Any news on that front?

3. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    While I'd assume you can complete this game in its current state I wouldn't say it was robust.

4. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I assume he means robust in terms of content and depth. In which case it's certainly one of the most robust.

But yeah, buggy and clunky too.

5. ProgPariah77

Dec 19, 2012
    #385 ProgPariah77, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    No argument here re: the "bugginess" and "clunkiness" of the game in its current state relative to most other iOS releases (hence my reference to the developers' "continuing to tweak the game"). By "robust" I refer to the strategic depth, massive content, and openness of the world which are married to a good (if not riveting) story line. It's a testament to the strength of the game's design that the somewhat dated graphics and unresolved issues in the current build are not (for this player, anyway ... so far) enough to distract from the overall experience, which holds up well since my first stab at BG I on a PC back when it first came out. I'll be the first to say that there are better games out there, but the point of my original comment is that BG I for me represents the first time I've gotten that sense of "epic" from an iOS game. Certainly if anyone knows of other "big" and "deep" RPG's that are currently available on the App Store, I'd like to know what they are. I have Avadon, Avernum, etc., which are similar to BG. I'm a fan of "The Quest" series, and I'm also playing Aralon and Ravensword 2 ... but I keep finding myself returning to BG I, in spite of its current problems.

6. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Have to agree with you then! One of the most immersive games out there. Really feels like you're in a fantasy world.

Apparently an update is in review and should be coming soon.

7. ProgPariah77

Dec 19, 2012
    That's great news! I hope that Balder's Gate – especially once they get the bugs sorted out – will raise the bar for future iOS RPG design.

8. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    For me, BG is the Grandfather of all RPG..

I love The Quest too, but it's darn ugly playing this on an Ipad.
    I just wish they made it Universal.

9. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Infinity Engine games have always been buggy and clunky, so I guess I just take most of it in stride. Though some new bugs have made it into the iOS version, it's apparent from the walkthroughs that I've been reading that a lot of old bugs have been squashed in this version.

I've gotten pretty good at tapping small targets, actually. There are a couple UI issues I'd rather see addressed before this "smart radius" feature.

First is some way to mark exits. Finding these with mouse hover always sucked, but of course it's even worse without a cursor. Can't they get a purple glow like doors do? I know in BG2 there are a few objects in the scenery you can interact with that only show on hover, too, so it would be really good if those were marked for newbies.

Second is a better way to select multiple characters. Tapping the band-select button then drawing a box is way clumsy. What might be better is if I tapped one character portrait, held my finger, and used another finger to select additional units.

10. minno15

minno15 New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    My iPad reset the other day, it's backed up to the cloud, but do you guys think I can recover the save games somehow?

11. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Looks like they are working on BG2EE
    Also seems like they might work on IWD and maybe NWN according to Trents Twitter..

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    do you mean you had your ipad data backed up on icloud? if the last cloud sync was recent (usually the last time you had your device plugged in to charge), then your Baldur's Gate data should be there as soon as you reinstall after restoring.

13. minno15

minno15 New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Ok cool, will have to try that! Thanks a lot skymuffin!

14. Stranded87

Sep 18, 2009
    I think i'm putting this on hold till the patch comes out. I've put a lot of hours in and got a good chunk of the way through, but almost every time I drag to select people the box just freezes on the screen and I have to try like ten times to make it work and that's starting to get to me.

Brilliant game, almost as good as I remember it being back when it came out and once it's patched up it will be one of the best games on iOS, but right now it's just pissing me off a bit too much.

15. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Cool.

As good as BG is, I pretty much just treat it as a prelude to BG2. All my character and NPC decisions are based on who I want to pit against Irenicus and who I want to romance in the sequel.

Hope Overhaul has a good plan in place for iPad modding by the time they release BG2, and especially for NWN. People are still releasing modules for that game.

16. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    NVM is not 100% sure.. Trent worked 8 years on NVM and was in doubt for that project... so w'll see.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    if you still have BG2, you can import your BG:EE data into it. just tried it today and it works :)

18. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Two things to note on this.

1) If your green selection box contacts the edge of the screen, this happens every time. To avoid this, make sure the folks you want to select are not at the edge of the screen; move the screen so it's got them closer to the middle.

2) The bottom-most button in that corner of the screen selects your entire party with no problems. This is what I use the most.

19. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    There is a button to mark exits. It's in the bottom-right, amongst the set of buttons that includes the multiple character selection box button. It will show interactable items (chests, bookcases, loot on the ground, etc.), doors/entrances, and even character/NPC/mob names.

Also there in that set of buttons in the corner is one which when clicked selects tour entire party without needing to use the buggy green selection box drawing tool.

20. Stranded87

Sep 18, 2009
    Yeah I worked out the edge of screen thing, still seems to bug out a lot though. But I didn't realize there was a select everyone button so I'll give that a go. Thanks :)