★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

I hope apps become more expensive.

01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Nice cant wait sounds like its starting to shape up great. Well ill still get iap with the game to support the game and the crew. Sucks I just got GBWG this late its defentinly an amazing game.
01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Forget what I said earlier fantasy adventure does have iap but just for coins but heck you don't need iap.

01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
I agree Punch Quest is Freemium that didn't work. I'd argue the retro art direction isn't casual enough (and thus is a "barrier to entry"), the fantasy theme isn't broad enough (orcs goblins and ghosts? Not going to be a big hit with the younger kids and casual ladies. Another barrier). It could be something I'm completely missing and it's easy to play armchair game dev
It's working now.

I'm not sure if the theme was actually a barrier. If there was any sort of barrier, it's probably just the hidden complexities of the fighting system. If the game didn't have that depth and was maybe one button, it maybe would have done better? The problem is I really don't want to work on games like that.

But yeah that wasn't the problem with it making money, it turns out.

RocketCat Games: Creators of Wayward Souls, Punch Quest, Mage Gauntlet and Hook Worlds
Check out our new game Wayward Souls at www.rocketcatgames.com/wayward/
@rocketcatgames on Twitter
01-03-2013, 01:46 PM
haha interesting, well I commend their decision to allow users an opportunity to beat the game for free!
01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepa View Post
It's working now.

I'm not sure if the theme was actually a barrier. If there was any sort of barrier, it's probably just the hidden complexities of the fighting system. If the game didn't have that depth and was maybe one button, it maybe would have done better? The problem is I really don't want to work on games like that.

But yeah that wasn't the problem with it making money, it turns out.
Fantastic news! (Goes back to punching)

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And a bunch of other games you've never heard of!
01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Nice cant wait sounds like its starting to shape up great. Well ill still get iap with the game to support the game and the crew. Sucks I just got GBWG this late its defentinly an amazing game.
Great stuff thanks. Look to see you online shortly then.
01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Great stuff thanks. Look to see you online shortly then.
A lot of people still play online?
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
I remember that speech. So, a buck it is then. :s

I'm obviously with the O/P here, bias notwithstanding. I think it's too late though tbh, one dollar is the expected price point and anything more than 3 won't get looked at unless it's a humungous brand. And I'm talking Halo or Pokemon here.

Large sales volumes may make up for it to some extent, but it's risky relying on it - especially with so much good stuff coming out week on week.
You are probably right. But for some reason, traditional adventure games like the stuff Big Fish makes seem to go for a "premium" of two or three dollars. I also look at Hector Badge of Carnage which continues to sell for 4 whole bucks long after release. Who knows...
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
A lot of people still play online?
There's no "still", we have more and more people signing up each day - just went over 200,000 online games played.

The open games list never seems busy because of the ratings system and the fact that games start pretty quickly. But don't let that fool you, there's usually 4000 odd games in play at any one time!

http://www.rubicondev.com/gbwg/onlinestats.php
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
There's no "still", we have more and more people signing up each day - just went over 200,000 online games played.

The open games list never seems busy because of the ratings system and the fact that games start pretty quickly. But don't let that fool you, there's usually 4000 odd games in play at any one time!

http://www.rubicondev.com/gbwg/onlinestats.php
Well I didn't mean it in a bad way lol. Geez over an hour still no free games