★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
It's a shame to hear people blame Star Command and it's developers for being transparent with players.
I don't think anyone is blaming them for being transparent. It's the information they are communicating that people find discouraging, not the decision to communicate it. The game is a cool concept but the team doesn't seem to have the resources or capacity to do justice. So people (understandably) find that disappointing.
01-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
It's a shame to hear people blame Star Command and it's developers for being transparent with players. Even if it means waiting through teasers or promising information about a game that is months/years away from launch the journey is much more interesting when developers share their progress. Especially in Star Command to watch user response to ther Kickstarter and ideas come up here and there has been "3-5 hours" of content alone. Even if it's another year before the game comes out I'm glad they've discussed it's development and been open with the gaming community.
OK. I respect your take on it. Here's mine: Warballoon has over promised and not delivered anything other than occasional progress reports, a screen shot here and there, and a video of the gameplay from 3 or 4 months ago. They've blown through multiple deadlines and ran not one, but TWO Kickstarter campaigns. As a 30 year veteran of the IT industry, here's what that tells me:

1. They had a great premise, but did not know what it would take to execute on the premise.

2. The game engines turned out to be far more complicated then they ever could have considered.

3. They don't know how to manage their development & QA targets, and now, they seemingly committed to a January "soft launch" because they didn't want to get lost in the holiday App Store shuffle; however, it is clear that they are still developing and debugging the game. So I am dubious that they will release the product they envision in January.

4. The QA effort far exceeded their expectations. This is likely a by-product of not planning all the test cases in advance and/or executing appropriate unit testing as each game module/engine was completed. I suspect that a lot of the game has been coded and re-coded and that has further complicated the testing.

Now, being a long time IT veteran as well as a long time gamer, I get it. Do I want to play the game soon? Yes. Do I want Warballoon to get it right? Definitely. Can I wait a lot longer? Yes.

Look. At the end of the day, this is just a game. It isn't going to change my life, and I also have a TON of other games to get to on multiple devices! I just think that Warballoon hasn't been as transparent as you think they have because it is completely unclear when the game will be released and what the real obstacles have been.

Sorry for the long winded post.

--DotComCTO

01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
As long as they can release the game, its fine, these developers have screwed up with their develoment dates, as long as they keep working on it. It's fine.
01-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post
OK. I respect your take on it. Here's mine:
tl;dr version: Developing a game is hard.
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I hope the developers aren't reading all this. All the negative opinions would really hurt their drive to finish their dream game.
01-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusothil View Post
I hope the developers aren't reading all this. All the negative opinions would really hurt their drive to finish their dream game.
People are entitled to say if they think the development has taken so long you know.

I think now its January we just want to hear when the final confirmed release date is....and doesn't slip anymore.
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusothil View Post
My experience with successful entrepreneurs is that skepticism from others is more likely to increase their drive to prove what they can do.
01-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
My experience with successful entrepreneurs is that skepticism from others is more likely to increase their drive to prove what they can do.
Alright that's good. I don't mind waiting for the game at all. It hasn't killed my interest one bit
01-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Wow~cool!

Oh~my...this is cool!
Can't wait for any longer!
01-09-2013, 05:22 AM
The thing is that Game Dev story had almost unlimited replayabilty because the making of games and seeing how the games worked and all that etcc then making the company bigger. Itwas a simple process.

For this game I don't see that as a possibility this the "17 missions only thing" I guess hopefully that's just the demo version or if not that than atleast have each time you play the game be different. If its 17 missions and its the same thing every time that will be a dissapointment knowing the game could be more if it was being devoloped by a bigger company. on the other hands small devs care less about money and more about making the game they want to... IMo They should have stayed quite about it and not keep teasing it etc...

I think their biggest problem came when they were deciding between tbs and rts and how similar should it be to x:com or should it be something different. I think now its a case a too many ideas not enough time or people or money whatever. They've already devoted this much time to it. I hope the game is what they want it to be and not something rushed. That's just how ist seems from reading the thread.

I hope they have success with the release and I'd be happy to get what they have now and wait later for more missions or more game, what they've shown so far looks great. I guess it's a tough position to be in.

I wish them luck..

Last edited by Darth Ronfar; 01-09-2013 at 05:26 AM.