★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Battlemass (by PL Young) [Universal]

01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Battlemass (by PL Young) [Universal]

Because of the shear number of cheap or free games on the App Store you can download and try one game right after another. But if learning the gameplay of a particular game takes more than two or three minutes of thought you'll probably put it in your 'to-be-deleted' folder or even delete it and then move to the next game you just downloaded. Well due to this App Store characteristic I almost missed out on one of the best games I ever played.

About six months ago I downloaded a turn-based strategy game along with some other games. I took a look at the game in question and it seemed too complicated to learn with my Twitter induced short attention span. So I put it in my 'to-be-deleted' folder and moved to the other games. Then a few days ago I decided to free up my iPad's memory by actually deleting the games in my to-be-deleted folder. But before doing this I usually take one more serious look at the games. This is how I retroactively discovered one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's really very simple. It's fun, deep, the essence of strategy. The graphics are 3-D. The work that went into the game was done by a true professional.

And it's now FREE! It was 600 yen when I bought it and until a few days ago.

You've GOT to get this game.

http://plyoung.com/battlemass

Dan

Last edited by metalcasket; 01-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.
01-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Never heard of the game and the way you put this kinda makes me wonder if your the developer.

01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
No I am not the developer. I have no connection to the game nor the developer. I just like to see a good game get it's due.

Dan
01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Eh, I'll just stick to greed corp. I don't care about games if they're free or not, if its a quality game ill spend money on it.

iPad 3 iOS 6.1 32GB
iPod 5 iOS 6.1 32GB
01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagonTheory View Post
No I am not the developer. I have no connection to the game nor the developer. I just like to see a good game get it's due.
Oh ok it's just lately this is how they do it and gets annoying after while. Downloaded it ill try it out.
01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Actually about a year ago I was trying to promote the game I did develop but it never got anywhere so I actually ended up pulling it from the app store. http://TheOctagonTheory.com That was my game but it is gone now.

Dan
01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
I think you'll like it. Let me know if you do and your player name so maybe we can play an online game.

Dan
01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
TakenXXDeadly. You really should give it a try. Battlemass is a quality game. You'd be surprised and you might like it better than Greed Corp. At least give it a try.

Dan
01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagonTheory View Post
Actually about a year ago I was trying to promote the game I did develop but it never got anywhere so I actually ended up pulling it from the app store. http://TheOctagonTheory.com That was my game but it is gone now.
Maybe if you redo it like a special edition use neon lights with a black screen or add characters like some weird shape or form and get people to give honest reviews then you might have a winner cause it looked promising.
01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually the skin I designed had a more SciFi theme but I went with my friend's skin because my family (all women) liked his better. Another friend said the name is bad - it sounds like something a math professor would use. I did do a lot of unsuccessful promotion. And it got some good reviews, one in Edge Online: http://www.edge-online.com/review/oc...theory-review/

But if a game doesn't get noticed by Apple or gain a grass roots popularity it's doomed.

Dan