Battlemass (by PL Young) [Universal]

01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Battlemass (by PL Young) [Universal]

Because of the shear number of cheap or free games on the App Store you can download and try one game right after another. But if learning the gameplay of a particular game takes more than two or three minutes of thought you'll probably put it in your 'to-be-deleted' folder or even delete it and then move to the next game you just downloaded. Well due to this App Store characteristic I almost missed out on one of the best games I ever played.

About six months ago I downloaded a turn-based strategy game along with some other games. I took a look at the game in question and it seemed too complicated to learn with my Twitter induced short attention span. So I put it in my 'to-be-deleted' folder and moved to the other games. Then a few days ago I decided to free up my iPad's memory by actually deleting the games in my to-be-deleted folder. But before doing this I usually take one more serious look at the games. This is how I retroactively discovered one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's really very simple. It's fun, deep, the essence of strategy. The graphics are 3-D. The work that went into the game was done by a true professional.

And it's now FREE! It was 600 yen when I bought it and until a few days ago.

You've GOT to get this game.

http://plyoung.com/battlemass

Dan

Last edited by metalcasket; 01-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.
01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Battlemass looked a mess, but Octagon Theory was very interesting.

It needs a defensive unit - something you can drop that doesn't push anything, but can't be pushed. Or different map shapes, maybe, or objective based modes (eg. there are 7 tactical hot spots and it's who can control most of those at the end of the game, rather than just who has most).

The basic mechanic is good, though. Very clean.
01-07-2013, 12:29 AM
@acrotran, Battlemass has a single-player mode so even if not so many people are playing it it is still worth getting for oneself. Also you write as if it is not "polished and gleaming". That tells me that you've never even tried it. it's VERY polished and gleaming. VERY MUCH so. Last night I was playing it on my Mac against someone on an iPad. And it amazed me at how stable and smooth it was. I thought it was synchronous turn-based. But I found out that it is also async turn-based. If you loose a connection it comes back up and you can continue right where you left off. And you can leave and come back to games later. Dynamite! The network coding behind Battlemass is superb. So download it and try it before you make presumptions. And it does have mass appeal, more than that of Hero Academy (which is good but I think is a bit childish). It's is just one of those games that fell through the cracks.

And @FoolishEarthling, thanks for the ideas for The Octagon Theory. The defensive unit is a great idea, I never thought of that one, nor tactical hotspots either. Cool ideas. I have thought of different map shapes though, that possibility is already built-in. But to tell the truth although my game and Battlemass are totally different I think Battlemass is a light years ahead of my game is all aspects. I just wish I had the skill to make such a superb game.

Dan

Last edited by TheOctagonTheory; 01-07-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: addition