Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

08-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Phoenix hd is on the nz appstore now!
Wow wow wow! I didn't thought it would be that great but there IS no turning back from that hd experience. The 60 fps framerate is amazing and the new effects and backgrounds are jaw dropping... I hope that firi finally get the attention they deserve by going free because this is the best shmup available on the appstore.
Small things i would have liked: a full screen version because, as of now, there are black borders on the edge of the screen on my ipad. But i assume this as something to do with the retina resolution on the 4th gen being smaller. Oh and the sound of the bosse's explosion is not loud enough but that's just a small rant
Anyway you know what to do now and i can't wait to see the next game from you guys

Find me on Twitter

Last edited by metalcasket; 08-11-2013 at 11:43 AM.
03-21-2013, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
El, are you doing tweaks to the other ships by any chance?

Currently not. We have some ideas about the existing ships, but there is a couple of other risks. For one, changing someone that is already in the game will _always_ piss off a lot of users, even if it's for the better.
Our main idea for the Corsair and Mirage would be to pull them more into the extreme and put more emphasis on their special abilities. Like we removed all weapons from the Shogun instead of the grazing mechanic, we would remove most of the traditional weapons from the Corsair and Mirage as well. The Corsair would receive multiple lock-on type weapons with different characteristics while the Mirage would receive more weapons and mechanics regarding movement.
Maybe they should be variants of the ships (Mk II), but then, how do we present that. For now we have plenty other improvements that we think are more valuable and will bring more to the game for you guys, the players. So we do those first, while iterating and brainstorming on other stuff

@edrijver

Try the awesome Phoenix HD, why not it's free
indie game designer @Firi Games http://www.firigames.com
03-21-2013, 08:19 AM
MK II would be fine by me, always love new ships to play with.

Implementing them now...that I don't know. I'd pay for them personally but that's me.

03-23-2013, 07:22 AM
We can't reproduce this, it would be great if you can locate the crash reports and send them to support(at)firigames.com or el(at)firigames.com. Or both! Thanks in advance

@edrijver

04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Single-use boosts are fun so we don't want to downplay their use. Furthermore we don't want to add more complexity to the Leaderboards, it's already a heavyweight for most players. There are arguments for each side and we are keeping it simple for now.

We're working on lots of very cool things at the moment, one is a patch for Phoenix HD with a new ship and possibly a new drone. No promises

@edrijver

04-19-2013, 02:15 AM
It was asked in the icade joystick thread how an icade core joystick would play with an iphone and itouch. Since I had only used it for my ipad, linked it to my iphone 4. First game I powered up was Phoenix hd, and then a bunch of others. They worked just fine, you can play with your iphone/itouch in the cavity, or separate from the icade core joystick.

It was kinda cool to play Phoenix hd on my iphone with a joystick, totally cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (249.4 KB, 4 views)
04-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
First game I powered up was Phoenix hd, and then a bunch of others.
Awesome, we're glad you like it so much, it's really rewarding (for us at least ) to read these posts. Thank you!

@edrijver

05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Game Impressions

Icade worked but how to enter name for high score table.
This is just too common user interface error. We can blame Apple, iCade but at the end it is the game you play ...
05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, that is an icade problem cause icade just imitates a stupid bluetooth keyboard. The only way to do it is to exit out of the app and turn off bluetooth, then enter it. Kinda sucks that icade is not a true joystick protocol too cause it would be smoother if it was. Plus I would love a stick like the icade core with 2 big sticks so one could play dual stick shooters. But the reality of the situation is that icade is a keyboard, so in ios, the keyboard can not be used. Sure, probably developers can add an joystick input feature, but probably way too much work for a developer for now.
05-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juslas View Post
Icade worked but how to enter name for high score table.
This is just too common user interface error. We can blame Apple, iCade but at the end it is the game you play ...
Yeah this is a very annoying problem. We have spent a lot of time to see if we could work our way around this. We can't temporarily disable it or something like that. All work-arounds created other or bigger problems. The first time a name is entered simply has to be done without an iCade connected. Or you need to copy-paste it from a different App, I think that works.

We are currently tuning the gameplay for the new ship btw guys. The visuals are also almost done

@edrijver

05-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Thought of another type of ship for either player or enemy. It could be called Juggernaut and ram the enemy. You could power it up somehow. Got the idea from when you use the 20 level skip option. Ramming through those big ship is cool and unique.