Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

From purely a gamer's point of view, having big marketing budgets and plans are always good, but ultimately what really decides how well your game sells is the quality of the content, and a tiny bit of luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
From purely a gamer's point of view, having big marketing budgets and plans are always good, but ultimately what really decides how well your game sells is the quality of the content, and a tiny bit of luck.
Sadly, quality of your game is no longer that big a factor in success in such a flooded market, from what we've seen at least. I can point to a million horrible Slenderman clones or Nose Surgeries that have done well to prove that theory wrong... and there are so many great games that never see the success they need to even recoup costs.

From our experience, you can only lower the luck factor, but never remove it. Of course making a quality game is a way to reduce it, but in and of itself it won't get you anywhere. Industry and Apple contacts I think are the biggest thing (part of marketing)...

Anyway, I've heard good things about TriplePoint. I'd also spend some of that budget to make appearances at conventions like MacWorld and GDC so you can get in front of real people and demo your game.

Last edited by Foursaken_Media; 12-19-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to alanappromoter

I'd look at using someone like dimoso. www.dimoso.com. Check out their clients and testimonials. Incredible agency.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Hi Michal,

I would like to share my opinion and a few ideas and I do hope you will find them helpful:

1) Social Media involvement is a good idea. It can build audience for your game. Still, there is an underwater rock - likes do not always lead to installs. Social Media is not an easy channel - you should think about the strategy in detail and be sure you know how to get and what to give to the audience to make them want go to the App Store, install the game and keep on returning to it.

2) Skins is a pricy way to teach your target audience about the product. If the graphics is fine, you can give it a try.

3) Facebook and AdMob are pricy options as well. Media buying is a wise decision (in the very first days on the App Store to get noticed and get organic downloads), but you can browse for cheaper and still high-quality ad networks.

4) A well-written game release press release should always be accompanied with other promo activities. It does not give a lot itself. One is fairly enough for you to get spotted by popular game resources.

5) From my point of view reviews on the App Store are important since they are shown by the icon, name and the first screenshot during the organic App Store search, but Fiverr reviews might be of a low quality and it would take too much time to pick each and pay separately.

I would advise you to concentrate on media buying and launch PR activities. Please contact me via private message if you have any questions
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice

In my opinion, agencies like Triple Point, etc. mostly do things that I can easily do myself. In fact, I have received a package quote from Triple Point a while back and I did the same things myself that they said they would do and it made no difference, so I think it would have been a waste of money.

I've personally wasted a few thousand on banner ads. They are completely useless on their own. I think unless you can spend $100K or more to completely blanket the internet with banner ads for your game, you won't see a return. I'm not even sure about that case either though, but it's my guess based on the fact that the big guys keep doing it.

In the end, if you have a decent game, all you need to get more downloads is to get some initial downloads.

The pay-per-install providers like ChartBoost, RevMob & TapJoy will guarantee that you get exactly what you pay for. If you pay for 20,000 installs, you will GET 20,000 installs. I believe that the higher your bid amount, the faster you'll get those installs too, which has a big impact on how quickly your app will shoot up the charts (it's based on downloads over time).

Those 20,000 installs will push you up into the charts high enough for your game to be seen by people who will also download your game, which will push it even higher, etc.

If I had $30,000 to throw at marketing, I'm pretty sure that pay-per-install is the route I would take.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Banned

I would recommend to submit your apps using popular press release sites like prmac.com. It enhances the visibility of your press communications in Apple universe.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

MindJuice is absolutely right!

Do not even think about investing into regular PR or payed reviews on smaller sites or banner ads.

What really works is:
- Chartboost / Tapjoy paid downloads (you can get 1 download for 1.3 USD approximately over short time and fly up the charts)
- huge FAAD sites (freeappaday or appoday are only 2 in the market on that level) - they have similar price (7K-20K USD) and may provide result that is better or worse then Chartboost depending on luck and other factors

Everything else simply won't give you scale. Oh, except for a good review on a really huge site (like toucharcade or appadvice) - but this is not something you can get for money.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Developer

With reputable PR services, I don't think you're really paying for their actual services per se (yes, we can all send emails out to people)... you're paying for their contacts moreso than anything else - i have yet to use a real PR service, but have heard good things from other indies when using someone legit like TriplePoint.

Obviously if I knew people at Apple and IGN and other big sites (we are actually lucky enough to have met TA's Jared in person - really nice guy btw), we wouldn't need a PR service... but we - and I think most indies - don't have those contacts, not yet at least. For us, knowing at least the small group of people in the industry we do know has made a world of difference.

But blowing all your money to drive you up the charts (only for a bit) won't guarantee anything either... the App Store is chart driven yes, but I really don't believe it is to the extent that people think. There is a reason so many games consistently hover around the 200-500 games range for long spans (even though they are completely out of sight and just out of chart range), and why so many games rise quickly, and fall just as fast... if it was totally chart driven, then no game would have staying power outside of the charts, but so many do.

Anyway, just my 2 cents The toughest part is there is no right answer... in this industry you can take 2 people in very similar situations who have used the same services (or done the same exact marketing strategy with the same budget) and come out with 2 completely different end results.

Last edited by Foursaken_Media; 01-07-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Anyway, just my 2 cents The toughest part is there is no right answer... in this industry you can take 2 people in very similar situations who have used the same services (or done the same exact marketing strategy with the same budget) and come out with 2 completely different end results.
Actually, I can't agree with you - all major publisher of non-casual games (and I guess that game that we are currently discussing is also non-casual) rely heavily on pay-per-install promotion (like Chartboost).
And that is for two reasons:
- they have money for that
- revenues generated by a quick boost are larger then what was spent on promotion (which only works for very well-monetizing games, like builders, mid-core strategies, mid or hard-core RPGs, CCG and others)

So it's all about planning, testing, getting good ARPU and ARRPU and making quick boosts (that cost a lot) worth spending on. That way you won't have to rely on press or SMM or other ways of promotion.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Banned

You can also host a free website regarding your Apps in Blogger, Tumblr, and Posterous and you can able to supply your link to everyone about your app. Use social buttons like Stumble Upon, Digg, Facebook Share, and ReTweet all on your website so that people can talk about your app.

Contact some popular press release sites like prmac that makes some noise about your release and that brings you more exposure about your Apps. Also, provide a free trial for them and ask them to do review of your app on their site. This will bring your app into limelight.