★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

View Poll Results: Is Canabalt worth $2.99?
Yes 212 34.98%
No 293 48.35%
Not my type of game 101 16.67%
Voters: 606. You may not vote on this poll
01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Oh no, there's an freemium-style hourglass that refills your party (think extra lives)? Waiting in real-world time slowly replenishes your hourglasses, or you can buy with IAP.

And also according to what I see in the video, you can buy:

$0.99 - New random premium character (35 in all)
$3.99 - World tickets (additional maps/bosses) (3 in all)

I might have missed some, but so far it looks like $50 to buy and unlock the entire game (includes initial purchase), plus whatever you pay to refill your extra lives/hourglasses.
Why is this 2.99 and not free?
01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
This game is 2.99 because they aren't charging enough for iap, so they need to offset costs. Now if iap totaled to over 100 then the game would be free....is what I think

01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
This game is 2.99 because they aren't charging enough for iap, so they need to offset costs. Now if iap totaled to over 100 then the game would be free....is what I think
The game looks like its stretched and I think if there's Ron of iap like most squeenix games then it should be a freemeium like it is trying to be
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Hello? Could a mod please come an put all this "why isn't it free?" jabbering into the garbage thread?

Thank you!

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Dang it. I would've downloaded this if it was free. It should be free, especially if it is loaded with IAP. Shoot. I'd rather play Voice Fantasy than spend money on this.

That said, if it eventually goes free, I might try it out. If not, I'll stick to FF 1-4 and FFT. Still playing through them all.

As for an endless runner... I TOTALLY agree. I WOULD pay $3 for a runner where I got to be cloud running through different settings like fields, castles, cities, etc. In fact, they already tried a mobile FF Cloud snowboarding game, so it shouldn't be hard to reskin Temple Run and throw a few of these IAP in it.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/F...:_Snowboarding

As long as the main game had enough content, they could totally get away with charging for a sweet endless runner. I'd love to play as Zidane running through a few of the cities and rooftops of Final Fantasy IX.

Back to this game, though: Crap.

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
People never learn. We want no effin price discussion in the game's thread.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
People never learn. We want no effin price discussion in the game's thread.
My fault sorry.
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
May another mod please move all the price discussion comments (this included) to the price dump?

I'm not gonna say "developers can't win". We iOS gamers can't win. That's the truth. If a game is free, everyone complains about the fact that it's filled to the brim with IAPs, while a classic like this is "too expensive" at $2.99. I don't get it...would you have liked Lode Runner to end up like how Pitfall turned out? You're paying $2.99 for a classic game with no IAPs. Sheesh.

I'll probably end up moving these posts myself. *moves posts*

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Where should I go to discuss the price, then? It sure seems like a lot of people do want to discuss it in this forum. Plus, we don't have the actual game to play yet, so I sure as well can't comment on what it's like to play it...

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Where should I go to discuss the price, then? It sure seems like a lot of people do want to discuss it in this forum. Plus, we don't have the actual game to play yet, so I sure as well can't comment on what it's like to play it...
Somewhere else. Not touch arcade. I raised this point in the lounge. You can read the thoughts of the janitor there. Which is a shame really.