Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Looking for some honesty. Has this game been criminally overlooked?

This is the game: Pangolin

Note – I am the developer. This is not in Developer's Discussion because I'd really like the opinion of gamers, not developers.

I think it's a game that deserves attention. It's is a physics-based arcade game that turns the classic platformer on its head. Instead of controlling the character, you control the platforms.

I say it's overlooked because no large site has reviewed us. The game currently has 48 ratings in the App Store. They are all 5 stars. Almost every forum we post in, someone says it deserves more attention. We've gotten 7 smaller sites to review us. Here are snippets from all of them:

"Easily one of the best mobile games of the year." – SHORT AND SWEET REVIEWS
"Quite simply astounding." – ALEX'S IOS REVIEWS
"Sonic the Hedgehog would be jealous... extremely well crafted and addictive." – INDIE LOVE
"Downright beautiful... production values as high as anything else on the App Store." – POCKET TACTICS
"Very different, very entertaining." – JAYISGAMES
"A loveable iOS anti-platformer." – INDEPENDENT GAMING
"Simply beautiful, well polished... keeps you coming back." – THE INDIE DEVELOPER

Are these smaller sites just being nice? If the responses we're nearly as good I wouldn't be posting this. Why hasn't any large site reviewed our game? Should they? What do you think?

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by psj3809; 01-09-2013 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Added video
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

Get the game up to Google Play and I'll give some honest feedback cause I don't really buy games on my iPad.

Edit: Saw it is free. Will tell you something later on. But 48 reviews, with an avg of 5 stars, seems fishy. Did you buy them? If so, shame on you.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Having a link in your app description to a video that shows gameplay would help.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

May great games have such issues. The players who checked them out give 5-star reviews and many app-review sites give good reviews too.

The problem is mainly in bad marketing, advertising.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I'm not a huge fan of puzzle style games, BUT i must admit i'm a huge fan of indie games, this doesnt seem like its got a huge corporate company behind it, seems like its more an old skool 'bedroom coder'.

Graphics look good, seems a decent 'puzzle' type of game, i may give it a go. I prefer the classic platformers. If this had left/right/jump i'll be there !

But watched the video again, does look very good, price looks good also, i'll pass this onto my friends who like physics puzzlers and i may give it a go myself to be honest.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_dabinski View Post
Get the game up to Google Play and I'll give some honest feedback cause I don't really buy games on my iPad.

Edit: Saw it is free. Will tell you something later on. But 48 reviews, with an avg of 5 stars, seems fishy. Did you buy them? If so, shame on you.
We did not buy them! A lot of them came from reddit. A few say so in their review. Most of our downloads came from posts there. You can see discussion here and here.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of puzzle style games, BUT i must admit i'm a huge fan of indie games, this doesnt seem like its got a huge corporate company behind it, seems like its more an old skool 'bedroom coder'.

Graphics look good, seems a decent 'puzzle' type of game, i may give it a go. I prefer the classic platformers. If this had left/right/jump i'll be there !

But watched the video again, does look very good, price looks good also, i'll pass this onto my friends who like physics puzzlers and i may give it a go myself to be honest.
Thanks! I appreciate it.

You're correct. We're just two dudes who've never released a game before.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
May great games have such issues. The players who checked them out give 5-star reviews and many app-review sites give good reviews too.

The problem is mainly in bad marketing, advertising.
It's ain't easy for two dudes w/o a marketing budget or any contacts in the gaming world. Thanks for the honesty though. It hurts so good.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedtank View Post
It's ain't easy for two dudes w/o a marketing budget or any contacts in the gaming world. Thanks for the honesty though. It hurts so good.
I know, I wasn't trying to offend you. It's a problem all indie-devs encounter.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
I know, I wasn't trying to offend you. It's a problem all indie-devs encounter.
No worries. None taken. I really do appreciate the feedback.