Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

To be clear, I definitely enjoy the game. Played it a bunch of times. Enjoy its simplicity. Great use interface too. I don't play word games a lot (once I got bored with words with friends I haven't played one since) so I may not be your target audience, but for casual word gamers like me I think it may prove hard to further monetize us via in-app purchases. To your credit, the free game is enjoyable in its current state where I personally have no strong reason to make further purchases. Can't hurt to add them though for sure. I think the ads along the bottom (which are not intrusive) are going to be the way you make most of your money.

I hear you on learning as you go with some of the words you chose for your dictionary. You had to choose one dictionary and the younger generation probably wants slang. I think you do actually lose a star in many of these cases though because if the word 'chic' is there and I say skip, and the robot says 'chica,' I lose a star. Once again, don't interpret my comment as a major complaint. I still enjoy the game a lot and I know you had to settle on a dictionary so once you did, you gotta just roll with it.

Last edited by MarcJay; 12-30-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Hey,

I think you bring up a great point regarding monetizing the casual word gamers. So that's definitely something that we will need to look into in more detail to fully capitalize on the revamp of the game.

I'm really glad you liked the game so much and had so much input.

Thanks again man, really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJay View Post
To be clear, I definitely enjoy the game. Played it a bunch of times. Enjoy its simplicity. Great use interface too. I don't play word games a lot (once I got bored with words with friends I haven't played one since) so I may not be your target audience, but for casual word gamers like me I think it may prove hard to further monetize us via in-app purchases. To your credit, the free game is enjoyable in its current state where I personally have no strong reason to make further purchases. Can't hurt to add them though for sure. I think the ads along the bottom (which are not intrusive) are going to be the way you make most of your money.

I hear you on learning as you go with some of the words you chose for your dictionary. You had to choose one dictionary and the younger generation probably wants slang. I think you do actually lose a star in many of these cases though because if the word 'chic' is there and I say skip, and the robot says 'chica,' I lose a star. Once again, don't interpret my comment as a major complaint. I still enjoy the game a lot and I know you had to settle on a dictionary so once you did, you gotta just roll with it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

One step closer to $$! Haha. JK. The screens are getting ready but our strategies seem to be ever changing. Now's the time when all marketing knowledge goes out the window and we start from the basics. Get users to give us more feedback on what they feel regarding the game, what would really drive in-app purchases (again, thanks to MarcJay) and what gets then properly hooked. Exciting times as always!
Attached Images
File Type: png buy extra heart.png (224.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

We decided to fool around with more marketing techniques today after I realised that we finally have a lot of players playing BetterLetter with each other via game center now.

The tricky parts are becoming clearer as well, for now. With more & more players coming in, we are hoping to give every user a pleasant surprise with the whole new look of the game.

Best part of today: Got really hooked on to it while challenging 2 players via the game center. After losing to both players, I felt a sense of satisfaction and the urge to challenge them again (the competitive side gets the better of me sometimes haha)! So we just thought of another feature: Option of having rematch with your last opponent!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM

From app Store text
Quote:
★★★★★

#1 Education game in Cambodia & Pakistan! ★★★★★

This is not a strong phrase. If you want to keep it, then change to something like
★★★★★

#1 Education game in multiple countries! ★★★★★

Still a bit clunky but you get the idea. Try and get a better word than multiple. Eventually, you can change multiple to be 10 or so but at 2 - not worth it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Hey!

Thanks for the tip! Going to change it to something better right away

Wow. All suggestions here are turning out to be quite useful for us at the BetterLetter team. Thank you all!

Maybe we could be of some help us as well? Let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndemic Creations View Post
From app Store text

This is not a strong phrase. If you want to keep it, then change to something like
★★★★★

#1 Education game in multiple countries! ★★★★★

Still a bit clunky but you get the idea. Try and get a better word than multiple. Eventually, you can change multiple to be 10 or so but at 2 - not worth it.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

The revamped version should only be 3 weeks away now! That's right, by the end of January we should all be playing a smoother, more appealing BetterLetter.

If only all things were so easy. Just realised that we have another problem to deal with before we go all celebratory at the release of the new update. Players with the newer version will have access to new graphics and an extra life (if they go ahead and purchase it, of course). But, this would bring up an issue during the online multiplayer gameplay (which we really want to concentrate on!). And, of course, we do not expect all of our current user base to update to the newer version (well, not immediately, at least). So working on the dynamics between the people using the current and updated version is now on the agenda. Let us just hope this doesn't take too long and everyone eventually enjoys the new look!
Attached Images
File Type: png default_select.png (248.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

So we are trying to add more languages to BetterLetter, but, wow it is hard to find the whole dictionary with meanings in one plain text, PDF file etc.

I remember we came across the same problem when we were trying implement French and now finding one for Spanish (or even German) is seeming quite tough!

The attached screenshot is what the player gets for losing a game (and what we are getting right now for not being able to find the other languages :P ).

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: png You_lose_screen.png (182.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Had a long (as usual) discussion today about trying to come up with a different/unique/eye-catching video (aren't we all) for BetterLetter. I started googling some game videos and there are many videos with great ideas out there, I must say. We are still to decide between having a voice over that explains the game or totally have it as a trailer kind of video that leaves viewers hanging (in a good way) and makes them want to try out the app.

Having said that, just discovered this video in one of the other threads here and I really liked it. The graphics for once are so different and interesting.
The game is called Harvest Lands and here is the video. Definitely giving this a try tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbN_rWkeL-o
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Btw, for the US App Store, when I typed in betterletter or better letter into the Search bar, a different company with the same name of their game Better Letter popped up and you did not. I then switched to iPad apps up top and still no luck. Finally after switching to iPhone Apps, it showed up. Weird thing is that I have your game on my iPad. Not sure if you used your keyword searches purposely not on better or letter, but if you did, something is amiss.