Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Sanuku Sanuku is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,971
Default Growtopia - (Robinson Technologies)[Universal]


Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up



Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up




Last edited by Sanuku; 01-10-2013 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 AM
sawyer4325 sawyer4325 is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 577
Default

Can't find it on the NZ store...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Exact-Psience Exact-Psience is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 15,623
Default

I dont know why but these build and wander simulation games have never ever clicked with me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Seil Seil is offline
Growtopia Seed Master
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I dont know why but these build and wander simulation games have never ever clicked with me.
You don't really wander in this one, levels aren't huge, and there are only four types of naturally occurring tiles. You get more types of tiles, clothes, etc, by splicing seeds together. Dirt + Rock = Grass for instance.

The game's online only, and worlds/levels can be connected to each other. People can create platforming challenges with lava and spikes etc.

It's still very much a building and designing game, though.

-----

A few tips for people getting into it:

1) Don't be discouraged by the fact it's Freemium. Gems can be obtained quite easily by just playing the game, they can appear when you break blocks or harvest trees etc. And with some experimentation you can find some fairly quick methods of getting them.

It's also more generous with what you can get for your money, $1 is 1000 gems and most things cost fewer than that(with many things being 50-200). And the only things exclusive to gems are the lock type items which allow you to seal off things from other players.

The Tapjoy offers are fairly generous too, with most app offers being 200+ gems.

2) It tells you to anyway, but in case you don't pay attention, go to the START world first for some tutorial stuff.

3) You can generate more of some seeds, especially lower level ones, by growing trees and just breaking all the blocks you harvest. With lower tier items you'll generally come out with more seeds than you started with.

4) If you want to see some examples of seed combinations, drop by my new world SEEDIARY (Like a Bestiary, but with seeds, get it? heh....). I have the first four generations/tiers of trees catalogued currently.

And if anyone has questions I'll help to the best of my ability. I'm still fairly new to the game myself.

Last edited by Seil; 01-17-2013 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Tannorexic Tannorexic is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere in the spiritual realm
Posts: 598
Default

Thanks for the link sanaku,
Do you know what sanpaku is? Is that where you got your name from. It's quite interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seil View Post
You don't really wander in this one, levels aren't huge, and there are only four types of naturally occurring tiles. You get more types of tiles, clothes, etc, by splicing seeds together. Dirt + Rock = Grass for instance.

The game's online only, and worlds/levels can be connected to each other. People can create platforming challenges with lava and spikes etc.

It's still very much a building and designing game, though.

-----

A few tips for people getting into it:

1) Don't be discouraged by the fact it's Freemium. Gems can be obtained quite easily by just playing the game, they can appear when you break blocks or harvest trees etc. And with some experimentation you can find some fairly quick methods of getting them.

It's also more generous with what you can get for your money, $1 is 1000 gems and most things cost fewer than that(with many things being 50-200). And the only things exclusive to gems are the lock type items which allow you to seal off things from other players.

The Tapjoy offers are fairly generous too, with most app offers being 200+ gems.

2) It tells you to anyway, but in case you don't pay attention, go to the START world first for some tutorial stuff.

3) You can generate more of some seeds, especially lower level ones, by growing trees and just breaking all the blocks you harvest. With lower tier items you'll generally come out with more seeds than you started with.

4) If you want to see some examples of seed combinations, drop by my new world SEEDIARY (Like a Bestiary, but with seeds, get it? heh....). I have the first four generations/tiers of trees catalogued currently.

And if anyone has questions I'll help to the best of my ability. I'm still fairly new to the game myself.
Thanks for the tips. I'm quite addicted to blockheads at the moment but I'm going to give growtopia a try too.. I usually only get addicted to one game at one given time, so ill be impressed if growtopia steals the show. Looks pretty awesome. I like the sound of the splicing too! And locking off sections could be good ^_^ like gluing a $2 coin to the cement to tempt people.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Seil Seil is offline
Growtopia Seed Master
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Like I said its a mix of Mario style jumping platformer with the building style of minecraft and seil is the best to go to. It may sound confusing but its fun.

To the people playing this does it get you mad when a random dude keeps punching you while you wait for something to grow?
I do my growing in my personal world so that doesn't happen lol.

I haven't really built anything yet, just experimented with splicing. I have, however, destroyed every single naturally generated block in my world. Placed a couple layers of dirt back, have a small building at the entrance which is locked and basically just grow whatever lol.

When clearing out a lot of dirt, planting a lot of dirt seeds and recycling(complete an offer or buy some gems to unlock recycle - gives gems when you destroy items) full stacks of dirt can provide some nice bonus gems.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Seil Seil is offline
Growtopia Seed Master
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
How do I build a house it seems harder even then junk jack. Its easy in blockheads though
Well, besides the walls/roof which are obvious, there are some wallpaper type backgrounds you can use, and windows. Then there's the House Entrance block which acts as a proper door for the building.

Window and Flowery Wallpaper are in my SEEDIARY world under Gen IV.

House Entrance = Dungeon Door + Door

Dungeon Door = Door + Window

You could add wooden platforms, tables, bathtubs, toilets, etc. as well. There's all kinds of stuff, many of which I haven't made yet.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Tannorexic Tannorexic is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere in the spiritual realm
Posts: 598
Default

Got to play for 30 seconds before the server timed out. I am disappoint

Edit- got back in after a few minutes, made an account and haven't been kicked out again since.
Loving it! Totally brilliant! Looking forward to what this might become in the future.

Last edited by Tannorexic; 01-10-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM
sawyer4325 sawyer4325 is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 577
Default

How do you splice? I accidentally skipped somthing about splicing...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Seil Seil is offline
Growtopia Seed Master
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: US
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer4325 View Post
How do you splice? I accidentally skipped somthing about splicing...
Plant a seed on top of another planted seed. For grass you would plant a dirt seed then use a rock seed on it(or the other way around, doesn't matter).
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent