Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

View Poll Results: Will 'What it Takes' pass the Apple Approval Process first time?
Undoubtedly. 5 31.25%
Toss of a coin. 7 43.75%
Unlikely. 1 6.25%
No chance in hell!!! 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty Tales View Post
Ryan,

Interesting topic. The screenshots and video of your game look great!

How did you go about finding the developers in India?

We found them through an old work colleague who moved back to India. The company was also on Elance. Are you thinking about outsourcing, or do you have any experience of it?

I wrote a full article, detailing the exact process we took during this project here. If you're looking to outsource you might find some of it useful: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=171794

Despite all the trouble we had outsourcing, we've finally manage to release the game this morning! If you like the screenshots you should give the game a try. It's available on iPhone and iPod Touch.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

very sorry to hear about your experience,

and by the way congratulations on the release..

Outsourcing is very tricky.. and I can imagine the headache, on both ends..

Well it is good in my honest opinion, that it is not that "easy" to do, if not everyone would do it, and we would have tougher competition right?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

This is a bit off-topic, but is the game idea based on a TV show?
There used to be a very similar show on Turkish TV that I loved watching as a kid. I've never seen an English version of it, but I've sometimes wondered if it was the Turkish version of an English show (as is often the case nowadays).

And the game looks pretty good, hope your efforts pay off.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 AM

Reading through this thread and others having to do with outsourcing both on this forum and others, it's kind of sad to hear the same stories of frustration and failure over and over again. And I know on the teams that I've worked on, we have never had success with offshore dev houses. (Individual devs hired without going through a dev house are another matter; some have been bad, many have been very good.) Granted, people generally don't go on the internet and write missives when something goes right, but my own personal experience has led credibility to the evidence that they're just not worth the trouble and likely to cost more money than they save.

So what goes through the heads of folks who come across these stories and decide to hire an overseas team anyway? Do they think their experience will be different somehow? The odds simply aren't in your favor, folks! Where there's smoke, there's fire! You get what you pay for! A million other clichés and superlatives…

Last edited by Contrabandit; 01-11-2013 at 12:16 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by baris View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but is the game idea based on a TV show?
There used to be a very similar show on Turkish TV that I loved watching as a kid. I've never seen an English version of it, but I've sometimes wondered if it was the Turkish version of an English show (as is often the case nowadays).

And the game looks pretty good, hope your efforts pay off.
Hi Baris,

Yes, you are right! There is a very popular TV show that is similar, it's called Countdown. The differences with our game are that there are only 7 letters in the words rounds (rather than 9), and you can make as many words as possible (rather than just making one long word)

Is the Turkish show you refer to called Bir Kelime Bir İşlem ?

The game show actually originated in France, and was called Des chiffres et des lettres. It's been translated and reproduced in many different countries.

Thanks for the support!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Good to know. Ours was indeed called Bir Kelime Bir Islem, meaning "One word, one [arithmetic] operation". There was even an app (in Turkish) with that name that I played a few times, but yours looks way more polished.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by baris View Post
Good to know. Ours was indeed called Bir Kelime Bir Islem, meaning "One word, one [arithmetic] operation". There was even an app (in Turkish) with that name that I played a few times, but yours looks way more polished.
Thanks for your kind words. Hopefully all our efforts will pay off! The general consensus has been extremely positive, and we've got around 400 players and had over 700 downloads. We're currently waiting on reviews from 4 different websites which hopefully will boost things.

Have you had a chance to play the game yet? I'd be interested to hear the thought of someone who is already familiar with the game format.

The link is here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/what-it-takes-free/id584331176?mt=8
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to vklymenko

hi, WhatItTakesGame (can you please let me know real name?),

i just randomly founded this topic, haven't read detailed, just quick overview..
my name is Vyacheslav, Im from Ukraine, was working for freelance about 4 years, coded tens of games, got 5/5 score on all projects i took on oDesk, but now Im working only for my own and have started a video blog on YouTube. What Im curious about is to have a small fight here and get extra experience, cause i want to make a complete video talking about this "employer-executor" for my blog (and maybe i'll answer some your question you keep in mind..), so first question is:
so you're saying "cheap" workers can't execute great work (with signed deal/contract) ?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

We've used 4 different companies for outsourcing smaller apps. Two of them were easy to work with and understood what we wanted. The remaining two were hard to work with and when they said the project was done, it was far from it and contained a lot of bugs.

It's certainly tough to find out what company that's easy to work with up-front, before making your decision to work with them or not.

My two cents, the ones that we were happy working with were more expensive but had better portfolios, so definitely make sure they have a good portfolio. You could also contact the clients that hired them, as they might let you know if they recommend working with them or not.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vklymenko View Post
hi, WhatItTakesGame (can you please let me know real name?),

i just randomly founded this topic, haven't read detailed, just quick overview..
my name is Vyacheslav, Im from Ukraine, was working for freelance about 4 years, coded tens of games, got 5/5 score on all projects i took on oDesk, but now Im working only for my own and have started a video blog on YouTube. What Im curious about is to have a small fight here and get extra experience, cause i want to make a complete video talking about this "employer-executor" for my blog (and maybe i'll answer some your question you keep in mind..), so first question is:
so you're saying "cheap" workers can't execute great work (with signed deal/contract) ?
Hi vklymenko,

I suppose that is what i am inferring by this post, although i can't speak for every company - only the one we used.

The company we used were cheap, and they certainly weren't able to complete the project they promised and signed the contract for. Deep down, we knew that this was most likely to be the case, but when you have limited funds and are eager to start a project, you have to take the option that is available.

Do i regret using that company? Yes and no.

On the one hand, they were utterly useless and the money spent was totally wasted. But, without taking a chance with them and actually getting the project started, we most probably would have never started the project in the first place.

As it stands, the game is now completed, functionally perfect and is doing amazingly (over 12000 rounds played in 4 days!). We're so happy with the response it's had, and the user base is continuing to grow, which is a wonderful sign for us.

For this reason i almost feel thankful to the company that took over a year's savings from the two of us! Regardless of the poor quality it was an invaluable experience.

The advice from Dragonhead is good, and if we could have afforded the extra cost, this is exactly what we would have done.