★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-11-2013, 03:50 PM
After picking up the irresistibly low-priced full version of the game and spending more time with it I am now very impressed. Because of the playing mechanics, I would classify it as something of a Minesweeper-RPG Hybrid with permadeath - in addition to revealing bombs, you also get life, loot, powerups, enemies, magical doors, side quests, and the much coveted golden key which allows you to transition to the next room. The upgrade system is very balanced and the gold gained can be used to upgrade your character temporarily by stumbling upon an in-game merchant or permanently by retaining it for use after death on the character selection menu.

Although the game is randomized, the balanced progression and unique character attributes provide an enjoyable level of depth and strategy. This seems to be a game that will be kept on my phone for a long time right next to Dungeon Raid. I has my highest recommendation.

Also, I have not encountered the crash bug on my updated 4s even while using the freeze spell. One feature that I would like to see implemented is the ability to continue an existing game after closing the App, that way I can continue to play the same game periodically in short bursts.

Last edited by retr0spective; 01-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
My only beef is a minor one. I purchased the game through the lite version thinking I'd have an icon reflecting such. Not so much though. I'd much rather have the icon reflecting my purchase.

Other than that, incredibly impressed with this delightfully simple game. It's everything I liked about dungeons of dredmor but with better everything. Great job on this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	51797  

Last edited by dominuse; 01-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.

01-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
I would classify it as something of a Minesweeper-RPG Hybrid
There's not much of a Minesweeper element because it really makes very little difference which order you uncover tiles in. You might not fight the last few enemies on a level, but that's just a calculation of expected losses and gains, there's no real inference available about what you might find. (That could make for an interesting game, if someone did that!)
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
4th place overall on the top score list and I've yet to see a crash on my device. Love this app and cannot wait for future updates!
01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spi7fire View Post
4th place overall on the top score list and I've yet to see a crash on my device. Love this app and cannot wait for future updates!
Congratulations! My highest score so far is 41,550 when I dyed on level 26 (although I had unlocked the door to level 27).
01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
There's not much of a Minesweeper element because it really makes very little difference which order you uncover tiles in. You might not fight the last few enemies on a level, but that's just a calculation of expected losses and gains, there's no real inference available about what you might find. (That could make for an interesting game, if someone did that!)
There is a Minesweeper element to the game. If you can kill enemies in an order that opens up more space around them you can find the sword (attack) power up before fighting other enemies, unlock the damage all ally with more enemies exposed, use lightning with the most enemies exposed, etc. also if you find an enemy then immediately fight it without exploring you have greater chances of wasting a night ally that will block for you. There is a tactical element of how you unlock the tiles.
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
There is a Minesweeper element to the game. If you can kill enemies in an order that opens up more space around them you can find the sword (attack) power up before fighting other enemies, unlock the damage all ally with more enemies exposed, use lightning with the most enemies exposed, etc. also if you find an enemy then immediately fight it without exploring you have greater chances of wasting a night ally that will block for you. There is a tactical element of how you unlock the tiles.
Additionally, I have found that carving a line through the middle of a level, when possible, helps baracade enemies from blocking off cells once uncovered (because they can now only directly touch half the level); forming a cross of open cells more so. Although the enemies don't necessarily mark anything I have noticed that enemies are rarely on directly adjacent tiles. If you get reveal treasure/traps/key boosts then there are on-map indiators of those items giving visual cues in a style similar to, but more direct than, minesweeper. Part of the enjoyable part of Dungelot is how simultaneously simple and complex it is at the same time, playing within just 16 squares.
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
This is true but it's both a minor effect and quite automatic. (You still often find the ally last, and opening one more tile through a slightly better sequence doesn't change that probability much at all.) In Minesweeper and its variants you have much more information and can make more complicated inferences, and also the effect is much more important (you lose the game if you get it wrong!).
01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I haven't yet experienced one bug, have got up to level 26 and used every spell iv come across.

I wasn't gonna buy this cos of all the negs about crashes etc. damn I'm glad I did. For 69p this is an absolute instabuy.

It's like sword of fargoal done with battlehearts graphics and simplicity!

Only gripe is as everyone else is saying, save current game option would be awesome.

But still that would be nice, but hasn't effected my experience of this awesome game.
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
I may have missed it somewhere in the thread but when is the ios requirement going to be lowered?

Current Favorites: HoMM Clash of Heroes. Dungeon Plunder. Penumbear. European War 3. Block Fortress. Nonograms Pro. Dungelot. Pwn: Combat Hacking. Heroes and Castles. Hundreds. Ravenmark. Card Shark Collection. Carcassonne.