Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Default Touchscreens with physical tactile buttons demo by Tactus Technology (videos inside)

Supposed to be in certain mobile devices by the end of 2013, though who exactly is getting it is secret for now.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/13/this-is-the-future/
Quote:
This actually works. I touched it. I played with it. And I fantasized about a bubble wrap app.

Tactus Technology stopped by our CES booth for a short demo of its crazy touch-screen technology. Using microfluid technology (and a bit of magic), Tactusís solution produces honest-to-goodness buttons that raise out of the touchscreen. And then, just as quickly as they appear, they disappear when not needed. There wasnít another technology or gadget that drew as big a crowd at our booth. Not the Pebble Watch, not the Oculus Rift, not the Razer Edge. All of our staff had to touch what we all hope will eventually become standard in touchscreens ó real buttons.

In the video above, Tactusí CEO and Founder, Craig Ciesla, explains the technology better than I can. Hereís a white paper (PDF) on the subject, too. But never mind how it works. Whatís special at this point is that it works. And it works well, too.

When, in this case, Android calls for a keyboard, the buttons raise out of the screen nearly instantly. They have a small amount of resistance, just enough to survive the occasional accidental touch. Then, when Android no longer needs a keyboard, the buttons instantly melt back into the screen. Ciesla states that it can be configured into any design; itís not limited to just a QWERTY keyboard form. For instance, these buttons could be used for a gaming pad configuration, too.

Tactus is aiming this system at OEMs rather than producing Tactus-branded tablets and smartphones itself. Ciesla assured me both on and off the camera that his company already has partnerships in place, and the world will see gadgets with this technology by the end of the year. No word on a bubble wrap app, though.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

WOW. The times we live in...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

This is a breakthrough in touchscreen technology

I can't wait to see if the implementation can truly be limitless, though. I noticed in the TechCrunch video, you could see the boxes that would fill up with fluid, so this leads me to believe it's not something that can be done randomly.

I don't know though. Still awesome, however! Can't wait for its consumer arrival!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

This has been around for a while now. Read about it on Gizmodo over 6 months ago.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

What.... Crazy!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
I can't wait to see if the implementation can truly be limitless, though. I noticed in the TechCrunch video, you could see the boxes that would fill up with fluid, so this leads me to believe it's not something that can be done randomly.
It is supposed to be able to do almost any shape anywhere you want on the screen. It isn't completely random, in the sense that the shape, size, and location of the buttons need to be coded, but it is supposed to be capable of forming anywhere on the screen. The technology will be pointless if app developers don't utilize it.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
YouTube: video
That was an awesome video, but I'm curious what it has to do with this thread?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

My guess it's just a hint that you wouldn't be able to use gorilla glass or really any type of glass at all with this screen. So it's unlikely to ever be more than a gimmick until Samsung's flexible displays at least.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
That was an awesome video, but I'm curious what it has to do with this thread?
Similar with regards to advancement in technology.