Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiufoxx View Post
Yeah. That's got to be tough. This whole independent developer in the App Store thing is not all farts and rainbows...

I mean it's so easy to be a critic. You put your heart and soul into developing this game, and then people so easily dismiss it with a "meh" and move on. Or worse yet, they accuse you of false reviews, fishing for publicity, stealing assets from tiny wings, and setting up manipulative IAP all in one thread - and all from the comfort and safety of their couches.

And yet, you've made only $90. You look for some honest feedback on why your game didn't work, and you get grief.

Well. I do feel for you. I not sure how you can make this a bigger success, short of pumping in some marketing dollars. Do you have any family or friends who would be willing to invest a little in you, with the chance of return? I any case, I wish you all the best. You've made a good game, and I hope people see that and pick it up.
You win the Internet. I agree completely.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I wasn't sure if this was the thread to report bugs or anything, but in case it is:

I just experienced a bizarre glitch, I think. I was playing the first level of Education, and each time I played it, the Level High Score was higher than the last, and I wasn't attaining a high score each of those times...Any idea what's going on there?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Yeah. That's got to be tough. This whole independent developer in the App Store thing is not all farts and rainbows...
I appreciate the support. Thanks for asking and putting things in perspective.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
I wasn't sure if this was the thread to report bugs or anything, but in case it is:

I just experienced a bizarre glitch, I think. I was playing the first level of Education, and each time I played it, the Level High Score was higher than the last, and I wasn't attaining a high score each of those times...Any idea what's going on there?
Thanks for letting me know. Good timing as we're planning on releasing an update soon. I have an idea about what it might be, but definitely want to figure it out. I'll PM you if you don't mind explaining what you saw.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedtank View Post
Thanks for letting me know. Good timing as we're planning on releasing an update soon. I have an idea about what it might be, but definitely want to figure it out. I'll PM you if you don't mind explaining what you saw.
You're welcome! Awesome possum

Speaking of possums:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

I was unaware a Pangolin was a real animal! It's like if an armadillo and a dragon had a baby. Regardless of the ridiculousness that situation may convey, it's a very interesting-looking animal. It's kind of cute.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:

I mean it's so easy to be a critic. You put your heart and soul into developing this game, and then people so easily dismiss it with a "meh" and move on. Or worse yet, they accuse you of false reviews, fishing for publicity, stealing assets from tiny wings, and setting up manipulative IAP all in one thread - and all from the comfort and safety of their couches.

And yet, you've made only $90. You look for some honest feedback on why your game didn't work, and you get grief.

Well. I do feel for you. I not sure how you can make this a bigger success, short of pumping in some marketing dollars. Do you have any family or friends who would be willing to invest a little in you, with the chance of return? I any case, I wish you all the best. You've made a good game, and I hope people see that and pick it up.
Wow, that's really true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusjr98 View Post
You win the Internet. I agree completely.
+1
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I played your game for a bit and really loved the art style. As it was such a pretty looking game priced at free, I was expecting a heavy-handed use of IAP so it did not bother me overly-much when I encountered it, though I agree that such a move will really turn off most folks. Personally, I prefer to purchase a moderately priced game, although there are notable exceptions such as Punch Quest (which keep in mind was game of the year material that garnered very little revenue because it was released for free). In any case, my main reason for deleting the App so quickly was not the IAP, but the movement. The specific two finger placement to create platforms was very inconvenient for me and detracted from my enjoyment of the art. With a different mechanic and a little bit more personality, you could have produced the next Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon.

Last edited by retr0spective; 01-14-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafark View Post
Wow, that's really true.

+1
I wins! Can i has moar internets pleez?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Rules in a game must mean something or you may as well not have rules. Saying you must complete a level in "x" amount of moves, but you can have more if you pay us real money, cheapens the experience way beyond a point where I wish to have anything to do with it.

Frankly, if you cannot see this all by yourself, I am not interested in playing any game you make. And if you can see it, then you are just playing dumb. In either case, I don't see the point in debating the issue further.
Just want to say that this type of IAP doesn't bother me at all, because I know that it's not a 100% requirement that I pay IAP if I want to continue playing the game past some nominal point.

If you're advertising a 'free' game, then it's worse to only offer 2-3 levels and then an iAP roadblock at that point. Because essentially the game really isn't free.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
Just want to say that this type of IAP doesn't bother me at all, because I know that it's not a 100% requirement that I pay IAP if I want to continue playing the game past some nominal point.

If you're advertising a 'free' game, then it's worse to only offer 2-3 levels and then an iAP roadblock at that point. Because essentially the game really isn't free.
That is why it should clearly be labelled with a demo/lite sign on the title. I have seen MANY devs advertise their games as "free" but it actually isn't. F2P on the other hand actually allows you to play for free all the way through.