★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The NFL Thread - Because football is awesome.

01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
#91
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
See thats the problem, you admit you're biased so its difficult to take what you say seriously about Newton. Its similar to some young girl who thinks her boyband is the best band ever, whatever they release is the best song ever, they're the best singers, they can do no wrong !

Unless you are his brother or related i cant see how you know him better than anyone apart from his coach etc !

The problem is every biased fan in the NFL thinks their QB is the best. Also nowadays you can see all the preseason games, training camp, you start to pretend to 'think' like a coach as you see so much more.

I look back to some past great QB's and for whatever reason (Take Dan Marino, no good rushing attack for years, had a bad defense earlier in his career) and its a shame he didnt have more talent around him. John Elway took some very weak teams to the Superbowl, finally won two once he had a great defense/rushing attack.

To be fair to Brady he doesnt have a 'big name' running back, most of his career he didnt, even Corey Dillon was near the end of his career but did well at NE. But Brady gets it done.

'Some' players take their team to the next level, RGIII got on that great winning streak this year but did have a great running back (The Skins didnt the year before).

Newton however the other year had a great rushing attack, when you have two RB's who gain over 700 yards each (And the QB does) you 'should' do far better than the 6-10 record he had last year.

Looking at Newtons stats he has done well, and hell, hes a 23 year old young QB coming off a near 4000 yard season with 19 td's. Not bad stats at all. BUT for the top overall pick, specially now with young QB's doing so well, i feel year 3 is a huge year for him. He'll have a new coach, if Newton doesnt improve this year and get to the playoffs there'll be some big question marks around him.

Hes a very good QB but at the end of the day the fans want wins not excuses. I would say Newton has to get to the playoffs in 2013 or there might be major problems.
01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
#92
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Look out your window.
Posts: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
See thats the problem, you admit you're biased so its difficult to take what you say seriously about Newton. Its similar to some young girl who thinks her boyband is the best band ever, whatever they release is the best song ever, they're the best singers, they can do no wrong !
My point is, I'm biased, like every fan, but I also know him extremely well, not the person, but the player, amd im able to say these things honestly, so whether I like him or not, i can say he's good at this or that and not be biased.

No one called my biased when I said ALL these same things about him when he was in Auburn.

And he does do wrong. I could write a book on his flaws. Ive gone on rants just like this about how bad he is in some departments after losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Unless you are his brother or related i cant see how you know him better than anyone apart from his coach etc !
I don't. But I know where his skills and flaws are extremely well. I know where he needs to improve etc. so I can honestly say, this guy will be the best of the last two years of QB drafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
To be fair to Brady he doesnt have a 'big name' running back, most of his career he didnt, even Corey Dillon was near the end of his career but did well at NE. But Brady gets it done.
Did you watch last nights game? They rushed like a mofo. They have meh backs, but make it work because of a good system ad smart coaching.

To say that the panthers don't have that is not biased. It's fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
'Some' players take their team to the next level, RGIII got on that great winning streak this year but did have a great running back (The Skins didnt the year before).
He also had Shanahan and a much, much, much better system

You can't fully understand how bad the coaching and play calling was this year for the panthers. You just can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Newton however the other year had a great rushing attack, when you have two RB's who gain over 700 yards each (And the QB does) you 'should' do far better than the 6-10 record he had last year.
HE was the running back. Everything was on him cuz Chud's a idiot.

Newtons got such a kick ass backfield but they never got a single yard until week 11, and even then it was bad

Might as well have had jimmy Clausen back there, because it wouldn't make a difference, they weren't used!!

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE GOD DAMN OFFENSIVE LINES. Look at every decent or good QB. Look at Kap. Look at rg3. badass lines make them great

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Looking at Newtons stats he has done well, and hell, hes a 23 year old young QB coming off a near 4000 yard season with 19 td's. Not bad stats at all. BUT for the top overall pick, specially now with young QB's doing so well, i feel year 3 is a huge year for him. He'll have a new coach, if Newton doesnt improve this year and get to the playoffs there'll be some big question marks around him.
Pay attention next year to what's actually Cam and what's the Panthers. There's a difference. With Rivera behind the wheel, cam doesn't have as much control over playoffs as you think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
He'll have a new coach
No he won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Hes a very good QB but at the end of the day the fans want wins not excuses. I would say Newton has to get to the playoffs in 2013 or there might be major problems.

There's already major problems. Cam will not be a panther in 2 years if Rivera is still the head coach. Period.

Rivera fired = Wins.

Rivera not fired = no wins and no Cam.


Last edited by k1lljoy_89; 01-14-2013 at 11:47 AM.

01-14-2013, 11:36 AM
#93
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Paranor
Posts: 649
Lmao who in their right mind puts Wilson above Kaepernick...
01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
#94
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Look out your window.
Posts: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Lmao who in their right mind puts Wilson above Kaepernick...
Someone who knows football. I love Kap, and if I had the choice between the two I'd pick Kap. But Wilson as a QB is just better. Smarter. For now at least.

That will likely change but for now Wilson is a more solid player as a QB. Not as a football player but as a QB

But we'll see. Kap has more to prove I think. The next game will help that lol

It's actually a really tough choice, and it's impossible to really tell.

Last edited by k1lljoy_89; 01-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
#95
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Paranor
Posts: 649
And there's only one opinion for people who "know football" lol

For u Wilson is better, for me Kap is. It's not objective truth and that's what many people fail to realize when comparing players and teams.

Stats don't even equate to objective truth.

Look at the Giants last year, going into the playoffs, objectively most people wouldn't think they'd make it out the first round. There isn't a measure for the underdog mentality.
01-14-2013, 12:02 PM
#96
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Look out your window.
Posts: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
And there's only one opinion for people who "know football" lol

For u Wilson is better, for me Kap is. It's not objective truth and that's what many people fail to realize when comparing players and teams.

Stats don't even equate to objective truth.

Look at the Giants last year, going into the playoffs, objectively most people wouldn't think they'd make it out the first round. There isn't a measure for the underdog mentality.
Forget the stats. I don't even know them.

"for me", Kap is actually better.

I watched Kap the other night pull off what's easily the greatest QB performance I've ever witnessed. The guys a badass.

But the decision making, the ball placement, the things that truly make a QB great, Wilson has the edge.

I think over over time, Kap may become better than Wilson. I don't think Wilson is gonna have the greatest career. I think Kap could have a damn solid one if he stays in SF

Kap is so much more athletic, that its hard to compare the actual QB assets. So forget rushing, I'm only talking about passing.

Because of the rushing, Kap is a better player. Like Cam Newton style. Wilson is just a really solid quarterback

And because of Kap's talent, and potential I'd pick him over Wilson any day
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
#97
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,768
I came here to point out an error in the thread title... then I read some of the posts and decided it isn't worth my time. I'm drawing several interesting comparisons to religious beliefs though, so if any of you are atheist, I hope you're feeling the shame. Happy Monday everybody
01-14-2013, 07:04 PM
#98
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Look out your window.
Posts: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I came here to point out an error in the thread title... then I read some of the posts and decided it isn't worth my time. I'm drawing several interesting comparisons to religious beliefs though, so if any of you are atheist, I hope you're feeling the shame. Happy Monday everybody
This post makes lentil chips seem logical.
01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
#99
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4,426
Late, but whatever.

01-15-2013, 03:48 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
At the end of the day Kap is in his 2nd year, Wilson is rookie year. One thing i love about the NFL is to see how a player does in his career, i'm currently selling lots of NFL preview mags from the 90's/early 00's on ebay and i've had a quick flick through, its fascinating to see what the 'experts' say about particular players, college and NFL.

In one mag they showed the top class for next year, QB Quincy Carter they had as the top rated player entering the draft ! Look what happened to him ! Robert Gallery was a 'cant miss' prospect at LT, he was a huge flop for Oakland. JaMarcus Russell actually showed a lot of promise, in his 2nd year he threw 13 td's and 8 ints on a very poor Raider team, as a 22 year old thats not too bad. His uncle (mentor) died and his life outside football went downhill and so did his play and now hes a total bust and out of football and no doubt will have lost his money soon.

This year was amazing for young QB's, i'm fascinated to see how Griffin/Luck/Wilson/Kap etc do in the future. I cant believe all 4 will carry on playing well. (might do).

Just in the past i've seen it before with young QB's and many start going downhill. Be interesting to watch