Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

View Poll Results: Will 'What it Takes' pass the Apple Approval Process first time?
Undoubtedly. 5 31.25%
Toss of a coin. 7 43.75%
Unlikely. 1 6.25%
No chance in hell!!! 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM
vklymenko vklymenko is offline
Senior Member
iPad, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 334
Send a message via Skype™ to vklymenko
Default

@WhatItTakesGame:

ok, so the thing is:

- we have limited budget, lets say $100 and we want to be rich. Will you agree that it sounds like "hey, i'll give you $100 and you will make so i'll have $1,000+ as result?" so like you're investing very small sum and want to have very big return, on this way you're taking a year of life of a developer(s), so hitting their
time, health etc. And in result this developer(s) will get nothing cause he spent this money for food etc while developing your game, and you got now a passive incoming resource.

I want to be impartial, so i'll show another side also, but lets attack you little more:

- isn't better to spend big budgets, but make "good" games, so all players will be happy, and will not waste their money for scam, spend time to refund money etc. Its like comparing to food business: "hey, i have not much money, but i want to open a small food store, lets find some cheap bad food, but we'll make good money in short time". Well, i guess here your answer will be that mobile game appstores are amateur places, so its a place for low cost things with good chances to make money for any single developer with any quality of product.

now about cheap workers. Yes, they're also wrong, when:
- taking a project, when they see that they're not able to process
- taking projects when have not enough experience
- no any deadline and schedules
- taking lot of projects at time and not be able to process any single of them
- etc etc etc.
the answer is simple here. All people need money all the time, in some countries people taking business more serious, and in some countries another hundred dollars can save your life or health, so if you founded someone randomly on web - there is no guarantee this guy is serious and will not leave the project on half way, also there are much of scam programmers on freelance sites.

about come and meet face-to-face developer:

another question is about advices from friends (its mostly in USA):
- a lot of people following currently Trey Smith's blog, its hard to find a guy who don't know who is that. I don't want to say bad about someone, but i'll just say what i heared from a guy (his "student"): "...well, Trey showed its possible to spend $300 for coder and make a complete small game and make good money, so I thought why i can't do same, and I tried with tens of programmers without success, and later i understood that Trey have a team of "setuped" programmers, which are helping each other and thats why things happens fast and cheap at him. Thats why lot of people were smashed, spend much of money and wasn't able to release any good single game..."
- i will think more about "come and meet face-to-face devs", but i'll just describe my case: a jewish guy contacted me some years ago and we started to make games, he had much of money to invest, so we started at least 5 games and were working on all at same time. Once he came to me to Ukraine and we spent a week, we had an office running with 2 more programmers and today he hasn't released any single game with me, although all games were 90% ready and high quality. So its not working always - to meet devs.

also another thing is that lot of people see: "uh, my friend making thousands with small iphone games... why i can't"

if we want to find some solutions we should speak about issues in root. Maybe the issue is in time-management? I bet you just gave the project to your devs and was contacting them from time to time, later less and rarely? and when you wanted to push things you just wrote them "hey, is there a chance to finish the game on this date, cause there will be celebrations and its a good time for release?" or was asking again and again "can you give me estimates". I'll shock you, but your game can be done in less then week (coding), so maybe next time better to pick an expensive coder with daily updates?


maybe the solution is to make groups of "investors", which can invest "big" budget and make quality projects? So lets say Microsoft have certificates system, so its pretty hard to be a developer for xBox, maybe same should be on current mobile appstores?

p.s.: im sharing just thoughts... independent discussion.. nothing personal to any side.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
WhatItTakesGame's Avatar
WhatItTakesGame WhatItTakesGame is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vklymenko View Post
@WhatItTakesGame:

ok, so the thing is:

- we have limited budget, lets say $100 and we want to be rich. Will you agree that it sounds like "hey, i'll give you $100 and you will make so i'll have $1,000+ as result?" so like you're investing very small sum and want to have very big return, on this way you're taking a year of life of a developer(s), so hitting their
time, health etc. And in result this developer(s) will get nothing cause he spent this money for food etc while developing your game, and you got now a passive incoming resource.

I want to be impartial, so i'll show another side also, but lets attack you little more:

- isn't better to spend big budgets, but make "good" games, so all players will be happy, and will not waste their money for scam, spend time to refund money etc. Its like comparing to food business: "hey, i have not much money, but i want to open a small food store, lets find some cheap bad food, but we'll make good money in short time". Well, i guess here your answer will be that mobile game appstores are amateur places, so its a place for low cost things with good chances to make money for any single developer with any quality of product.

now about cheap workers. Yes, they're also wrong, when:
- taking a project, when they see that they're not able to process
- taking projects when have not enough experience
- no any deadline and schedules
- taking lot of projects at time and not be able to process any single of them
- etc etc etc.
the answer is simple here. All people need money all the time, in some countries people taking business more serious, and in some countries another hundred dollars can save your life or health, so if you founded someone randomly on web - there is no guarantee this guy is serious and will not leave the project on half way, also there are much of scam programmers on freelance sites.
We'll be the first to admit naivety when it comes to understanding what you could expect from a certain level of investment as we were completely new to the industry.

However, we produced and extremely detailed specification (100+ pages including wireframes and other diagrams) which covered in intricate detail exactly what we expected in terms of functionality and quality. We took this to the developers and asked them to quote for it expecting that they would carefully review the documentation, ask questions if they didn't understand, and use that to build up an estimate of the effort, and hence a quote. Naturally there was some negotiation but we could only assume that they had fully read and understood the document and that we had agreed a price that was fair and reasonable for both parties.

Incidentally, as it turns out, the devs we chose did not understand and probably didn't even read the document we spent months crafting and even when they didn't understand they never bothered to ask any questions.

This is not about cheap workers or big budgets, it's about being confident that your developers understand what you want, how much effort it will take, and how much it is going to cost to deliver. Our mistake was assuming that all developers would take the time to understand what is required before they quote and sign themselves up for the project.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vklymenko View Post
about come and meet face-to-face developer:

another question is about advices from friends (its mostly in USA):
- a lot of people following currently Trey Smith's blog, its hard to find a guy who don't know who is that. I don't want to say bad about someone, but i'll just say what i heared from a guy (his "student"): "...well, Trey showed its possible to spend $300 for coder and make a complete small game and make good money, so I thought why i can't do same, and I tried with tens of programmers without success, and later i understood that Trey have a team of "setuped" programmers, which are helping each other and thats why things happens fast and cheap at him. Thats why lot of people were smashed, spend much of money and wasn't able to release any good single game..."
- i will think more about "come and meet face-to-face devs", but i'll just describe my case: a jewish guy contacted me some years ago and we started to make games, he had much of money to invest, so we started at least 5 games and were working on all at same time. Once he came to me to Ukraine and we spent a week, we had an office running with 2 more programmers and today he hasn't released any single game with me, although all games were 90% ready and high quality. So its not working always - to meet devs.
I'm sure that are many pros and cons when looking at face-to-face versus remote working. Our remote working experience with our Sound Engineer and Graphics Designer have been nothing but excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vklymenko View Post
also another thing is that lot of people see: "uh, my friend making thousands with small iphone games... why i can't"

if we want to find some solutions we should speak about issues in root. Maybe the issue is in time-management? I bet you just gave the project to your devs and was contacting them from time to time, later less and rarely? and when you wanted to push things you just wrote them "hey, is there a chance to finish the game on this date, cause there will be celebrations and its a good time for release?" or was asking again and again "can you give me estimates".
You bet wrong. Almost immediately we realised that we would need to be on to the developers constantly. They were unable to manage their own time so we had to do it for them. But it went further than that. With some of the trickier bugs it was often quicker and easier to find the solution on the internet and send them examples of code and tutorials that would address the problem (e.g. how to do a Facebook SSO integration - that's right, these developers agreed to do the project which clearly included a Facebook SSO integration in the requirements and they didn't even know how to do it - we had the provide them with the relevant tutorials and documentation!). So not only were we managing their time, we were mentoring them too.

You can find more about what we were faced with here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=171794

Quote:
Originally Posted by vklymenko View Post
I'll shock you, but your game can be done in less then week (coding), so maybe next time better to pick an expensive coder with daily updates?
As a highly experienced developer myself with nearly a decade of experience I respectfully disagree. At the end of the day, our game is on-par with the quality and richness of features found in Zynga's Scramble with Friends, for example. If you think Zynga knocked that together in a week, even with an entire software house working on it, you are sadly mistaken.

No doubt our next game will be developed much quicker. Because we've written our code properly, rather than doing a rushed hack-job, I estimate we could reused over 60% of it in a similar game. However, we'll never developer a game in a week, or a month for that matter. We'd rather spend the extra time thinking everything through, documenting the specification and making sure we have the perfect concept before writing a single line of code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vklymenko View Post
maybe the solution is to make groups of "investors", which can invest "big" budget and make quality projects? So lets say Microsoft have certificates system, so its pretty hard to be a developer for xBox, maybe same should be on current mobile appstores?

p.s.: im sharing just thoughts... independent discussion.. nothing personal to any side.
That would depend on what you want out of your business. It's certainly not something we would be interested in.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM
vklymenko vklymenko is offline
Senior Member
iPad, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 334
Send a message via Skype™ to vklymenko
Default

@WhatItTakesGame: thanks for the explanations, I got your point. Well, I think you're a good employer and wish you to find "right" people to work in your team
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
WhatItTakesGame's Avatar
WhatItTakesGame WhatItTakesGame is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 54
Default

@vklymenko, you are welcome. Good luck with the video. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
ThreeCubes's Avatar
ThreeCubes ThreeCubes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 732
Default

Why did you not make it an iPad game? Don't you think this could restrict your sales? Some of the graphics are retina quality and look great on the iPad some of the text looks bad. You not the only company on here that seems to just ignore the iPad. I think that was mistake. It's a shame as it does look nice on the iPhone

Last edited by ThreeCubes; 01-15-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
WhatItTakesGame's Avatar
WhatItTakesGame WhatItTakesGame is offline
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 54
Default

We've just released (today) a Universal App upgrade that adds iPad support with full retina HD graphics. Enjoy!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/what-it-takes-free/id584331176?mt=8

Last edited by WhatItTakesGame; 01-15-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Added iTunes link
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 AM
johnmartin2008 johnmartin2008 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: India
Posts: 2
Default

It depends on the companies standards, as of my knowledge better to outsource to a good company instead of individual developers.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Ovogame's Avatar
Ovogame Ovogame is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Morestel, France
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatItTakesGame View Post
The project has cost us around $13,000 in total (including graphics, development, sounds, video), which is incredible really, considering the complexity of the project.
$13k is nothing for this kind of project (assuming it is doing the job well). I'm surprised you are piss off with your devs, they made an amazing job for such a ridiculous low amount of money. Remember, you always get what you are paying for. Here it looks like you did get way more than what you paid for

Good luck with you game.
BTW, I'm building a words game too

JC
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 AM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 742
Default

This whole topic is intriguing, but i don't think the price you paid is as over the top as you think. It seems pretty reasonable with the quality you got(ignoring the issues with working with them).
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 PM
the professor the professor is offline
Junior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Default Don't know about outsourcing, but...

I don't know much about outsourcing, as I've never done it myself. (I am a developer) However, I do know that I just started working for a new start-up and we are looking for jobs to expand our portfolio. I think the offer right now is an app in the app store within a month for less than $1000 dollars. Might be worth thinking about as an option. Plus we're all state-side, and we give you interactive versions of the apps as we develop them so you can make sure they're what you want. If anyone's interested, you could send an email to contact@apprapidly.com
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent