Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Games...were on cassettes? How much could you store on those things?
Well you used to also get compilations, so you would get a tape and on one side there were 5 games (a right pain trying to find the gap between the games so you could load it), then on the b side you had another 5 games.

I 'think' the maximum were 90 minutes ? (A C90), or were there C120's i cant remember.

Most tapes didnt have much on them as they just needed enough for the game.

Bear in mind back in the 80's the Commodore 64 had 64k, the ZX Spectrum had 48k, later on you had special 128k games which were much better.

Back then when you only had 48,000 bytes to code with programmers had to do a lot of very clever things to get the game within 48k. Nowadays 'some' devs dont seem to care how big the file is as it doesnt matter so much, but back then it was quite an achievement to get your game working fine in 48k.

God i feel old
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm with ya on the whole feelin' old thing. It definitely irks me when these youngin's complain about a free or 99c game that they instantly downloaded to their mobile powerhouse of a gaming device. When way back when we basically had to bang 2 rocks together and call it a game. I couldn't even dream of such devices at the time

Last edited by Psiufoxx; 01-15-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiufoxx View Post
I'm with ya on the whole feelin' old thing. It definitely irks me when these youngin's complain about a free or 99c game that they instantly downloaded to their mobile powerhouse of a gaming device. When way back when we basically had to bang 2 rocks together and call it a game. I couldn't even dream of such devices at the time
Ha ha i completely agree !
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Well you used to also get compilations, so you would get a tape and on one side there were 5 games (a right pain trying to find the gap between the games so you could load it), then on the b side you had another 5 games.

I 'think' the maximum were 90 minutes ? (A C90), or were there C120's i cant remember.

Most tapes didnt have much on them as they just needed enough for the game.

Bear in mind back in the 80's the Commodore 64 had 64k, the ZX Spectrum had 48k, later on you had special 128k games which were much better.

Back then when you only had 48,000 bytes to code with programmers had to do a lot of very clever things to get the game within 48k. Nowadays 'some' devs dont seem to care how big the file is as it doesnt matter so much, but back then it was quite an achievement to get your game working fine in 48k.

God i feel old

Shit, mate, I completely understand you because I've experienced it all, too.
Feeling old now. Wish I could kick your butt.

Here you go, all you infidels!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Vovin; 01-15-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Shit, mate, I completely understand you because I've experienced it all, too.
Feeling old now. Wish I could kick your butt.

Here you go, all you infidels!

YouTube: video
That picture of the C-64 is brings back so many fond memories! Ditto to the feeling old after reading this thread, though it did take me down memory lane as well as bring up memories of some great old games! I used to trade copies of games with my friends as well!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz View Post
Gamesalad is a game engine, not a developer.

And as pj said, gamesalad has been updated and if a game is made well, you won't even notice it's made with gamesalad anymore.
Yeah, I do realise that! What I meant was that developers stopped bothering trying to con, or possibly just got overlooked altogether, once EA and GL introduced bigger and better games.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord-sam View Post
Yeah, I do realise that! What I meant was that developers stopped bothering trying to con, or possibly just got overlooked altogether, once EA and GL introduced bigger and better games.
That's right. But that has nothing to do with the game engine... GameSalad was designed for indie, starter developers in the first place. So I'm sure they knew, that top games won't be made with their engine. If some big company made a game with their engine, it would still sell even if it's made with GameSalad.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannorexic View Post
Your first instinct is usually correct.
I steer clear from anything labeled gamesalad. I used to make games when I was like 13 with this engine called game maker.. I'd make the most pathetic "games" things like penises having to collect tacos. Gamesalad reminds me of that. Your not a developer if you have to use gamesalad, end of story. And there's only so many templates, doesn't matter what is released by who, it's all the same template, just with different sprites.
LOL, penises and tacos, two of the most import things in the mind of a 13 year old boy.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
You youngsters (gets out the violin) back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for a game to load ! Now a game takes 10 secs and people delete them !

Agree about BeyondDead, had tons of potential but didnt enjoy that as much as i thought i would. Mazes and monsters isnt too slow, theres lots of premier priced games which take a while to load up and between levels
did you ever have a C-64? Did you ever play an Electronic Arts (back then they were "Electronic Artists" game, waiting for what seemed to be an eternity as the EOA (I think it was an O) changed from color to color?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_dabinski View Post
Some interesting stuff there mate. 4/8 minute loading time seems insane. I get worked up over anything more than 30 seconds!

Also, you mention copying from tape-to-tape. Is that not some form of piracy?
My uncle gave me hundred of cracked C-64 games. back then, it wasn't piracy. Just like cutting a mix tap wasn't piracy or copying cassette to cassette. It was called WE'RE BROKE, we're kids, and no one gave a damn. No one gave 2 ****s before Napster came along. None of us was making money.