Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I decided to re-download Real Boxing in an attempt to quench a thirst for unarmed combat that can probably only be sated by going back to real-life fighting and MMA. But, no time, so I turn to my iPhone for escapism, displacement and transference

And I just don't get the hype and praised Real Boxing garnered back at release. I hope to have missed something, some hidden depth and polish that you fellas can enlighten me about.

Most of all, I cannot understand why there are no manual low jabs and hooks (conveniently activated in similar games by tapping and swiping the lower half of the screen). The way they are activated randomly makes the process feel less skill-based, and together with the automatic movement (though the gods of bloody battle know that I prefer that to tilt movement), the game starts to feel a little on-railish, and less precise.

I also miss directional dodging and weaving, and being able to block by tapping and holding with two fingers (a currently unused gesture that to me seems superior to a little button in every single way). Also, both blocks and dodges seem inprecise, perhaps a result of the automatic movement, which makes fighters sometimes miss without any conscious evasion or parrying, and possibly also makes them sometimes land blows in spite of dodges, since they seem to move just far enough to punch into the dodge.

All these factors result in a fighting game game that is actually, in terms of combat mechanics and tactical fight variety, less sophisticated than Fight Night Combat, EA's MMA, and possibly even Beast Boxing. Though I might be ostracized from the small but wildly passionate fighting game portion of the TA community for saying this, even Punch Hero has more options in combat, and in some ways therefore more fighting depth. (Though it might be suitable here to remember that Real Boxing is no IAP-ridden money grab, and is in every way but the actual fighting vastly and wildly superior ).

All these games utilize very similar controls for attacks and evasion, but since they all use the lower part of the screen for low hooks and jabs (or kicks, in the case of MMA), increasing the number of possibilities, manual attack patterns and tactical considerations, since some of these games have directional dodging for a little more sophistication in evasion, and since I find their block (and in some cases their evasive) mechanics and controls more intuitive (highly subjective, unlike the number of attack and dodge possibilities), I cannot help but feel that Real Boxing is simplified and even dumbed down, fighting-wise.

In all other regards, from career mode and progression mechanics to multiplayer to presentation, the game is absolutely triple-mobile-A. Perhaps I just get too hung up on the actual fighting. Well, escapism and transference, right?
Wow. I was about to buy the game, but what you have described as 'on rail-ish' fight controls with punch/dodge/block has me questioning this purchase. I've got the TouchKO game, I think I will stick with that. Technique seems a tad bit more implemented into game mechanics (although the hype and visual details don't compare with Real Boxing). You'd think it should be more 'Real' when it comes to fighting controls and dynamics. I don't buy Unreal Engine hype--only solid, full gameplay mechanics and detailed depth.

TouchKO:
Hold either side of screen (high or low), you block with that hand = FUN
Tilt to dodge left, right, back or duck forward = FUN
Tap high or low to jab high or low, hold tap for heavier hits = FUN

I'll proudly own Real Boxing when its controls are detailed similar to this, not on rails-ish. Darn hype games...

On rails-ish = NOT AS FUN

Last edited by pauldavidmerritt; 08-01-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidmerritt View Post
Wow. I was about to buy the game, but what you have described as 'on rail-ish' fight controls with punch/dodge/block has me questioning this purchase. I've got the TouchKO game, I think I will stick with that. Technique seems a tad bit more implemented into game mechanics (although the hype and visual details don't compare with Real Boxing). You'd think it should be more 'Real' when it comes to fighting controls and dynamics. I don't buy Unreal Engine hype--only solid, full gameplay mechanics and detailed depth.

TouchKO:
Hold either side of screen (high or low), you block with that hand = FUN
Tilt to dodge left, right, back or duck forward = FUN
Tap high or low to jab high or low, hold tap for heavier hits = FUN

I'll proudly own Real Boxing when its controls are detailed similar to this, not on rails-ish. Darn hype games...

On rails-ish = NOT AS FUN
This plays very much like infinity blade but with boxing, sure it looks nice but the combat is very easy, you see what's coming you block, counter, punch, repeat.
That's it.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to sicksilvo
Default Real Boxing - Enhanced Multiplayer Overview (New Update)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Real Boxing™ brings you the most exhilarating, no holds barred fighting ever seen on the App Store. Featuring ultra-realistic motion capture from real boxers plus amazing graphics from the powerful Unreal Engine, you'll feel every hook, jab, and uppercut. In-depth multiplayer lets you duke it out against other gamers around the world in real-time and vie for a coveted place on the global leaderboards. Take on Real Boxing today, the undisputed champion of fighting games.

NEW REAL-TIME MULTIPLAYER THRILLS
Take your skills to the next level and enjoy hundreds of hours more gameplay in the feature-packed multiplayer mode. Fight it out with your friends in real-time via Game Center. Bet virtual currency on your fights as well as buy lottery tickets for a temporary stats boost. Prove your skills and win a place in the global leaderboards.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Multiplayer does not work when trying to search for random player.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Ugh...anyone know if there's a way to skip the opening video on this game? I'm really over the game by the time I watch it.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathplug View Post
Hopefully they'll add icloud gamesave support to sync progress between devices.
Any word on this? I don't care if they make it a manual sync option with a button to push.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

If you're a Real Boxing fan and looking for a challenge, you can start getting excited and preparing for Thursday Stay tuned for more info!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default New Multiplayer update adds Weekly Tournaments!

Hungry for a challenge? How about a tournament? The new Real Boxing Multiplayer Update is here with a spate of knockout content!

Take part in Weekly Tournaments with a fresh set of challenging rules each week. Win big prizes, both real world and in-game, and share info about your victories with friends. Check up on current standings and see what’s coming up next via our new Facebook app: https://apps.facebook.com/realboxing. Enjoy a faster, more stable and fairer multiplayer experience!

Get Real Boxing with the Multiplayer Update for iOS and Android now, available at a super discounted price!

So what are you waiting for? Get back in the ring now!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

For the community users that are not already buy,Now it's free for a Limited time..
Old 06-27-2014, 11:30 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Yup! Real Boxing is available for FREE on iOS and Mac this weekend! And we're giving out free coins if you grab the game via FreeGameCredits, too!

How's that for a great start to the weekend? Enjoy!

Last edited by VividGames; 06-27-2014 at 11:37 AM..