Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Default Mini review

Got a chance to give House of the Lost a couple of plays this morning.
It feels very NES Legend of Zelda dungeon like. A fairly basic maze layout of rooms attached by non existent corridors. Some doors are blocked and you need to address puzzle elements to proceed.

The combat plays okay, but I'm not sure I'm liking the control feel. This might be due to the fact that I play mostly turned based games on my Idevices.

The music and ambience is nice. The tiles are well drawn. Gameplay is virtually unlimited, as long as Zelda dungeon exploring is your thing.

I'd like to see a search command with some descriptive elements built in. Perhaps even a spooky narrator to describe some of the tiles when inspected.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5, with the possibility of becoming a five with a bit more depth.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by blibby View Post
It feels very NES Legend of Zelda dungeon like. A fairly basic maze layout of rooms attached by non existent corridors. Some doors are blocked and you need to address puzzle elements to proceed.
From looking at the videos, I wouldn't be surprised if the developers had drawn inspiration from The Binding of Isaac, as well as Zelda and other more basic roguelikes and adventures (Atic Atac, anyone?).
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM

I really like IAP that unlocks the demo. Wish more games had it.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by blibby View Post

The combat plays okay, but I'm not sure I'm liking the control feel. This might be due to the fact that I play mostly turned based games on my Idevices.

The music and ambience is nice. The tiles are well drawn. Gameplay is virtually unlimited, as long as Zelda dungeon exploring is your thing.

I'd like to see a search command with some descriptive elements built in. Perhaps even a spooky narrator to describe some of the tiles when inspected.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5, with the possibility of becoming a five with a bit more depth.
Thanks for the great review!

We definitely drew inspiration from both Legend of Zelda and Binding of Isaac when we started building House of the Lost. During development we ended up skewing more toward Legend of Zelda, probably because I enjoy it more than the heavy combat focus of Binding.

However, I've heard from a number of people now who really wish we had a twin-stick shooter control scheme, or at least allowed the player to fire in one direction and move in another. I'm starting to think that we should include a second control scheme that uses a d-pad or second joystick for firing in addition to the current scheme.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on that?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Default Control method

Yes please! I'm getting better with the current controls, but I wouldn't mind trying out a twin stick option.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Not sure how I've missed this until now but anyway better late than never. I've just played a few games and I'm loving it, nice dungeon crawler/ rogue like game.
The controls do take a little bit of getting used to but it's fine after five minutes, I appreciate what your trying to go for here, the old school type hard where you die and your dead , like how it always was.
I'll be picking up the unlock full game in just a minute as the free version does a good job of showing you what your getting.
Even just in my ten minutes of playing I can see it being one of those games you get better at the more you play it.

I think dual stick controls might make the game quite a bit easier though, alien breed did it where they had the old school graphics and controls as one setting then the new graphics and dual stick controls as another setting and it made that game a lot easier having two sticks.

Maybe there will have to be separate leader boards for the two different controls.

Off topic here but what happened to pocket heroes? It hasn't had an update in ages? I was hoping for some universal update or even a single player mode?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Not sure how I've missed this until now but anyway better late than never. I've just played a few games and I'm loving it, nice dungeon crawler/ rogue like game.
The controls do take a little bit of getting used to but it's fine after five minutes, I appreciate what your trying to go for here, the old school type hard where you die and your dead , like how it always was.
I'll be picking up the unlock full game in just a minute as the free version does a good job of showing you what your getting.
Even just in my ten minutes of playing I can see it being one of those games you get better at the more you play it.

I think dual stick controls might make the game quite a bit easier though, alien breed did it where they had the old school graphics and controls as one setting then the new graphics and dual stick controls as another setting and it made that game a lot easier having two sticks.

Maybe there will have to be separate leader boards for the two different controls.

Off topic here but what happened to pocket heroes? It hasn't had an update in ages? I was hoping for some universal update or even a single player mode?
Thanks for checking it out!

I've had the same worries about the dual stick controls, it's one of the reasons I haven't done it yet. I think that if we do put it in, which I'm starting to think we will, it will have a separate leader board, because it really will be a different experience.

There is another big update coming to Pocket Heroes, I talked about it a little bit the other day in PH forum thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...48#post2630348

Beyond that, I feel like we really need to rework a ton of stuff in Pocket Heroes to make it into the game we actually envisioned. We're hoping to continue working on smaller projects, like House of the Lost, to increase our skills and knowledge, and then come back and take a stab at doing something like Pocket Heroes again in the future.