Support our Sponsors:

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default Best iOS Gaming Device?

I currently have an iPhone 4S and an iPad3, and im recently about to be getting an iPad Mini next week, mostly because i think it is the better "gaming device"

Am i making the right decision in buying the iPad Mini for gaming?

A bit of discussion is encouraged. Thanks for the inputs!

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 01-19-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I currently have an iPhone 4S and an iPad3, and im recently about to be getting an iPad Mini next week, mostly because i think it is the better "gaming device"

??? If you like gaming on a smaller screen with no retina, then maybe. Since you have an ipad 3 and iphone 4s already, can't see any reason why an ipad mini would be better except for use in tilt games for racing cause it is lighter.

Would recommend to buy an ipad 5 or 6, or wait for the ipad mini 2 with retina screen and a6x processor. But if you want an ipad mini for portability, weight, of size, go get one. But for gaming? I can't see why a smaller screen and non retina screen would help.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I hear the mini is fun to use, and I haven't used one myself, but honestly if we're talking strictly gaming, specs matter a ton and the A5 isn't getting any newer...

If you must get a mini, wait for the 2nd gen one!! Probably an A5X based off of the 32nm technology, maybe A6. Probably a retina screen. That's worth waiting for IMO.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post

you are wrong if you buy ipad mini for gaming,its good for now but A5 will not suuport good games in 1-2 years,better wait few months and buy new ipad or new ipad mini with retina...
Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I wouldn't go back to a non-retina device anymore. Not only that, but I don't think the iPad Mini has a very good screen at all, even compared to other non-retina screens.

It's down to taste though. Size doesn't bother me at all in terms of portability, a few inches here and there means nothing. It's all about the size of the play area, and in most cases, bigger is better. Games are so good-looking and easy to navigate with the new iPads, I couldn't imagine sacrificing screen estate just to carry a slightly smaller device that still doesn't fit in most pockets anyway.

I suppose the best argument is cost. Personally, I think the most popular reason for buying an iPad Mini is due to the cost, and I think a lot of people know they're settling for second best when they buy it.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

But the Nexus 7 is cheaper for more storage, RAM, ect...

That's probably the main reason I'm not fond of the mini. Overpriced like crazy. Like a lot of Apple products
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I think the iPhone 4S is the perfect iThing as far as games/apps go.

It's more powerful than the 4 and has the awesome Retina resolution. It's not as powerful as the 5, but it will play all the games not updated for the larger screen without a hitch and feel better while doing it.

The iPad 4 is an amazing piece of tech that I love and play games on exclusively, but I can't drop it in my pocket when I'm going out somewhere. I can't whip it out and play with it any time I wanted.

The mini... I don't really have an opinion on it. I think it has its own niche, but that screen... the funny thing is, on its own the screen is perfectly fine. But considering we have 4 retina devices in the house, looking at text on the mini afterwards is fuzziness galore. As far as gaming is concerned, it's as good as the iPad 2 which as far as I can tell is still supported by pretty much everything and probably will be for a long time to come, so nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
I hear the mini is fun to use, and I haven't used one myself, but honestly if we're talking strictly gaming, specs matter a ton and the A5 isn't getting any newer...

If you must get a mini, wait for the 2nd gen one!! Probably an A5X based off of the 32nm technology, maybe A6. Probably a retina screen. That's worth waiting for IMO.
Mini's superb. Big enough screen to be able to play CCG's games like King's of Dragon Pass; small and lite enough, with it's thin bezel, to be able to hold with one hand. it's easier to play games with virtual joysticks or similar controls with a mini than a Biggie, IMO, because your thumbs can reach farther into the screen. Tilt controlled games are more playable as well, though that method is still best used on an iPhone/iPod touch.

Sucks a new one will be coming out so soon, but I'm guessing my mini will hold enough value for to defray a good portion of the cost of the next one. I'll be sure to not be so dumb as I was in the past, when I help onto my 3GS after the iPhone 5 was released. And I still have it. In the spring of last year I still could have gotten a decent price for it. Well, that's what laziness gets ya.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

iPhone 5 hands down. the A6 chip is an absolute juggernaut.

But imo, it depends on the game you're playing. If I'm playing a game like punch quest or mage gauntlet, i'd prefer the iPhone, but for games like battleheart and FPS's, definitely iPads.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
it's easier to play games with virtual joysticks or similar controls with a mini than a Biggie, IMO, because your thumbs can reach farther into the screen.
I always use my index/middle fingers for iPad games with virtual controls, granted it means putting the iPad down, but I find that to be the most comfortable way of using the device anyway. Either that or I sit on the couch with my knees up and lean it against my legs at an angle. I find thumb movement rather restricted compared to the freedom you get being able to throw your fingers freely across the screen at will, in fact I used index fingers on my iPod Touch a lot of the time too. Definitely agree on the tilt part though, I hate using the iPad's accelerometer, but luckily I rarely need to.