Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
Sorry about this. It is kinda hard to explain. Let me be more specific.

...The answer I found so far was no. Thus, the enemies in that level appeared to be stacked in such a way that your VIPs would always get hurt (a bit) even if you were to play a perfect game. The only exception to this is that somehow by chance you are given so many high-powered units that you can stack up quickly.
Okay, I think I understand your reasoning.

You're not taking into account all the variables though - for instance the Warlord (present in level 11, incidentally), has an attack which blinds enemies, making it possible to vastly reduce the odds of a VIP getting hit even if an enemy does perform their action. There are several such mechanics at play in the game, which all form part of the gameplay.

Also, if the sample size is low you can't really conclude anything, as each level is variable in the amount of luck from playthrough-to-playthrough.

I can tell you its possible (and has been done) to 3-star all the levels without using any stock items, but I can also promise you that its not easy ;D
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the explanation. You raised a good point. Indeed, I had not mentioned other "chance" elements such as the Warlord spell to decrease the chance of a VIP hit. On the other hand, I wonder if the game is winnable by always being able to kill the enemy before its turn-count reaches zero. If so, then the blindness effect is largely irrelevant.

Is there somewhere I can find out by what cutoffs you are using for "star" rating in each of the three criteria? Right now, sometimes I would finish a level thinking I was doing good only to find out that I got half a star for "highest tier unit" or "turn taken". Right now, I have no idea how far or close I am.

Lastly, how come some levels (such as level 2) do not have bonus items even when I have scored three stars?

In all, notwithstanding my nitpick, I am very impressed by how much depth there is in the gameplay The way you have combined match-3 mechanics with turn-based strategy elements is brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulae View Post
Okay, I think I understand your reasoning.

You're not taking into account all the variables though - for instance the Warlord (present in level 11, incidentally), has an attack which blinds enemies, making it possible to vastly reduce the odds of a VIP getting hit even if an enemy does perform their action. There are several such mechanics at play in the game, which all form part of the gameplay.

Also, if the sample size is low you can't really conclude anything, as each level is variable in the amount of luck from playthrough-to-playthrough.

I can tell you its possible (and has been done) to 3-star all the levels without using any stock items, but I can also promise you that its not easy ;D
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.

Is there somewhere I can find out by what cutoffs you are using for "star" rating in each of the three criteria?

Lastly, how come some levels (such as level 2) do not have bonus items even when I have scored three stars?

In all, notwithstanding my nitpick, I am very impressed by how much depth there is in the gameplay The way you have combined match-3 mechanics with turn-based strategy elements is brilliant.
No worries.

This information isn't visible in the game right now, it's planned for the next update though.

Not sure about that star thing - sounds like a bug. Did you upgrade the game from 1.0 or begin new with the latest version?

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Great to hear.

I just found out the update. Restarted the game and the star bug is now gone and the bonus item now returns too.

This is, by far, the most intense (thought-provoking) match-3 game variant I have ever played. I have to plan so far ahead to make sure that the units all collapse to the proper position to trade-up. When you get up to 4-5 levels deeper, it is very easy to make a mistake.

Have you given thoughts to an undo button (just a single undo will suffice)?

Also, for Level 14, the enemy mage that hastens attack to the next turn comes on VERY EARLY in the level. So far, this makes it impossible to avoid an enemy attack on your VIP, since you simply don't have enough action points to kill off the mage or BOTH of the eye monsters before either attacks? Does this "impossible" situation make my chase of the goal of completing the level without an enemy hurting my VIP also impossible?

Quote:
No worries.

This information isn't visible in the game right now, it's planned for the next update though.

Not sure about that star thing - sounds like a bug. Did you upgrade the game from 1.0 or begin new with the latest version?

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it

Last edited by y2kmp3; 01-23-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
This is, by far, the most intense (thought-provoking) match-3 game variant I have ever played. I have to plan so far ahead to make sure that the units all collapse to the proper position to trade-up. When you get up to 4-5 levels deeper, it is very easy to make a mistake.

Have you given thoughts to an undo button (just a single undo will suffice)?

Also, for Level 14, the enemy mage that hastens attack to the next turn comes on VERY EARLY in the level. So far, this makes it impossible to avoid an enemy attack on your VIP, since you simply don't have enough action points to kill off the mage or BOTH of the eye monsters before either attacks? Does this "impossible" situation make my chase of the goal of completing the level without an enemy hurting my VIP also impossible?
Yeah it gets more intense as you progress ;D Some of the late levels can be very unforgiving!

Going to trial an undo button for the next version. Only problem is (aside from lack of UI space) what to do with the currently-issued unit? Because if you undo, it will have to re-issue you the previous unit you placed. It might upset gameplay, so I'll have to test it, but I'm hoping to add it.

Not sure re/ Lv14, I'd have to play it again. No doubt if you get lucky it can certainly be done.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 AM

Yes, please try out and let me know about this for Level 14.

I have since been able to complete the level (only once, after about 150 restarts (no kidding, really)) without using the shop and without ever getting my VIP hit. However, I now run into another problem. The number of turns it took was too high, yielding only half a for the "turns taken". That level was literally well played (i.e., minimize wasted moves). When you mentioned that you can complete the level WITHOUT the shop, do you mean that the level can be completed with 3-star rating for this level too?

Having played a lot of similar strategy type games, I am beginning to wonder if there is too much optimization, narrowing too much the window of winning strategies to allow the player to be creative. Any deviation yields a penalty one way or another. Reminds of me the initial version of Fieldrunners 2, with excessive optimization that made the game punishingly difficult.

Quote:
Not sure re/ Lv14, I'd have to play it again. No doubt if you get lucky it can certainly be done.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 01-24-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 AM
iPad

I haven't gotten that far, but personally I'd say it's better if you can't beat all the levels without taking damage.

Last edited by LordGek; 01-24-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Yes, please try out and let me know about this for Level 14.
Okay I just played Level 14, and although it's probably a bit tougher than it should be for the 14th level, its very possible to 3-star with no stock-items, without the VIP getting hit.
The trick for this level is to allow the Evil Wizard to make his first cast, then immediately kill the unit he targeted.
Later on in the level you should be able to easily remove the Evil Wizard with the Magician (on my go I even got unlucky and his first 2 actions missed - and I still got within the turns-taken threshold by 30 turns).

There are various strategies to some levels (like the above) that require thinking and experimentation to get 3 stars on.

Quote:
When you mentioned that you can complete the level WITHOUT the shop, do you mean that the level can be completed with 3-star rating for this level too?
Yes, we did this before the first release - 3-stars on every level without using any stock items. This obviously isn't easily achieved unless you're an expert at the game.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM

I will try it out. Where can I find this "turns-taken threshold"? I can't locate it anywhere? Also, is there a total turn counter during play? This will help to determine if I am close or far from star rating.

Quote:
Okay I just played Level 14, and although it's probably a bit tougher than it should be for the 14th level, its very possible to 3-star with no stock-items, without the VIP getting hit.
The trick for this level is to allow the Evil Wizard to make his first cast, then immediately kill the unit he targeted.
Later on in the level you should be able to easily remove the Evil Wizard with the Magician (on my go I even got unlucky and his first 2 actions missed - and I still got within the turns-taken threshold by 30 turns).

There are various strategies to some levels (like the above) that require thinking and experimentation to get 3 stars on.

Yes, we did this before the first release - 3-stars on every level without using any stock items. This obviously isn't easily achieved unless you're an expert at the game.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
I will try it out. Where can I find this "turns-taken threshold"? I can't locate it anywhere? Also, is there a total turn counter during play? This will help to determine if I am close or far from star rating.
I can only see it cos I made it ;D The star thresholds will be visible to everyone in the next update.