Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default Happy Sheep - (by Ivan Vasilyev)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 01-24-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

OK, I think I'm prepared to give this one a go. I remember a game I played on MAME from the earliest days of video games, called, slightly dodgily, 'Chicken Shift', which was a chicken sorting game. I played that game *far too much*, and I think that sorting is an underused mechanism. I'll be back once I've shed 69p and had a go.

Edit: I remembered the other sorting game I put too much time into -- Swapper. So yes, I think I can safely say that I am a sucker for sorting games. Any other recommendations, people?

Last edited by BohemianCoast; 01-24-2013 at 03:10 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM

This game looks pretty solid... definitely worth a try. Especially for only $.99!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianCoast View Post
OK, I think I'm prepared to give this one a go. I remember a game I played on MAME from the earliest days of video games, called, slightly dodgily, 'Chicken Shift', which was a chicken sorting game. I played that game *far too much*, and I think that sorting is an underused mechanism. I'll be back once I've shed 69p and had a go.
Awesome to hear! Please post some impressions when you get the chance I'm quite interested in this one
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Ok, very quick first impressions. Graphics are cute and polished, with lots of sheep animation, and the sheep sometimes act in unexpected ways when rolling on the conveyor. The 'knitting' that builds up behind the scene is a fresh way of showing level progress.

It is a sorting game, like the egg-sorting levels of Chicken Shift; and I think that's an underused mechanism, so that's quite nice. I certainly can't think offhand of an iPhone game that uses this mechanic.

I *think* there are 20 levels. The first two were trivial, and then I failed repeatedly on the third level. Ooops. Having finally struggled through it (I don't know, maybe ten goes?), I'm currently having the same issue with the fourth. When I did finish the third, it said 'Perfect'. But it wasn't perfect, by any manner of means; I'd lost loads of sheep. So I'm not quite sure how that works. I *think* this means that it has a bit of a learning curve issue; not uncommon with this sort of game, but I would prefer a slightly more gradual slope.

You lose some health for dropping sheep off the edge, or into the wrong bucket, or for blowing them up with a bomb; you gain health as you sort sheep.

It's a cute game; not a bad use of your 69p. It's not universal which is a bit of a shame; I do most of this sort of gaming on the iPad.

I'll post a bit more when I've played a few more levels.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianCoast View Post
Ok, very quick first impressions. Graphics are cute and polished, with lots of sheep animation, and the sheep sometimes act in unexpected ways when rolling on the conveyor. The 'knitting' that builds up behind the scene is a fresh way of showing level progress.

It is a sorting game, like the egg-sorting levels of Chicken Shift; and I think that's an underused mechanism, so that's quite nice. I certainly can't think offhand of an iPhone game that uses this mechanic.

I *think* there are 20 levels. The first two were trivial, and then I failed repeatedly on the third level. Ooops. Having finally struggled through it (I don't know, maybe ten goes?), I'm currently having the same issue with the fourth. When I did finish the third, it said 'Perfect'. But it wasn't perfect, by any manner of means; I'd lost loads of sheep. So I'm not quite sure how that works. I *think* this means that it has a bit of a learning curve issue; not uncommon with this sort of game, but I would prefer a slightly more gradual slope.

You lose some health for dropping sheep off the edge, or into the wrong bucket, or for blowing them up with a bomb; you gain health as you sort sheep.

It's a cute game; not a bad use of your 69p. It's not universal which is a bit of a shame; I do most of this sort of gaming on the iPad.

I'll post a bit more when I've played a few more levels.
Thank you for the impressions! So how does the gameplay work? Do you move the conveyor belts around? Do you tap them systematically to direct the sheep?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Sorry, should have said. The conveyor belts are fixed, at least so far -- but you tap on them to switch the directions in which they're moving. So the game is to juggle your sheep so that they're on the conveyor belt that drops them into the relevant basket -- except also the baskets move (but are constrained by the other baskets; they're in a row and can't switch over). Later there are bombs; if you're not pretty sharpish managing your conveyor belts a sheep will hit a bomb.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Hi everyone! I'm co-developer of this game.

BohemianCoast, I'm sorry for that learning curve issue - fixed version will be available very soon.

Would be awesome to hear more impressions about this game
Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

OK, I guess it's just me playing this, though there have been a couple of good reviews of the game. Both of which have *also* mentioned just how hard it is, so I think you need to break people in a bit more gently, chaps.

Having said that, I haven't *stopped* playing it. I've just finished the last level (that's perhaps three or four hours of play?) But I haven't got three stars on most of the levels so I've got more work to do.

I love the basic mechanic of reversing the conveyor belts to sort the sheep, and I'm a big fan generally of sorting games. I'm not so enamoured of physics games, but the physics is very light in this one. There are a few places where you can drop a sheep into a bucket from height with momentum, but otherwise the main use of the physics is when sheep bump into each other, and that's pretty hilarious. There is one level in which fast conveyors bounce the sheep around; that's an interesting mechanic which you could do more with.

One serious bug which you should have fixed already -- after I'd played until my iPhone battery ran out, I switched to my first generation iPad. But the screen resizing is wrong so you can only see 25% of the screen in the full space and the game is unplayable.

I also found the sheer speed at which game mechanics are introduced to be a bit of a shock; I'd only just got used to the previous one each time. Both the difficulty and the lack of time to get used to new items would be solved by having more levels -- 20 isn't really all that many. I understand that art assets are needed here because of the lovely design of the game, so that might not be trivial.

A couple of other thoughts:

I find wolves irritating. They are supposed to be 'rendered innocuous' by bombs, but in practice they still push sheep around, which means that it's incredibly difficult to get a sheep to the left, even having bombed the wolf. It would probably be better if the wolf disappeared or stopped for a bit once it was bombed.

Some of the English is a little awkward, though there are no serious errors.

It is unclear what people need to do to get the three stars on a level. You should make this clearer (oh how I love Cut The Rope). I think the second star is time-related -- but there's no countdown on screen so it's very hard to know what your target is (other than 'sort sheep as fast as possible'). And the third star is for either full heart or heart above a certain level.

Anyway, I am very well pleased with my 69p investment and would encourage other forumites who like timed puzzlers or time management games to have a punt.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I've just had a look at the achievements.

I think you have a *moth* in this game, not a *mole*. Right?
I have scored Couturier, but it doesn't show up in achievements in Game Center. I'm pretty sure I should have got moth-catching and evading achievements as well.
I don't think 'Greenpiss Hero' means anything in English, but if it did it would be a tiny bit rude for your family game.

Thanks for the lovely game!