Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Anyone else in the iOS 5.1.1 club?

Usually I update my iPhone and iPad immediately when a new update is available, but when Apple unveiled iOS 6 last year, the negatives of updating far outweighed the positives for me.

The excision of Google's Maps and the YouTube app were my main reasons for not updating. I know Google has their own Maps app on the App Store, as well as an official YouTube app available for download, but I am not a fan of change, and I heard Google's app for Maps has a different interface.

And as far as YouTube goes, videos sure do load faster on the Google app, but I don't appreciate having ads on my videos, and watching videos over 3G is like watching a movie through a window in Silent Hill... aka, it's blurry as hell.

And what does the app add? It changes the interface for the App Store, it adds Passbook, and wow, even Facebook integration! I totally wanted to use all these features.

I'm sure there are those out there that really enjoy these changes/additions in iOS 6, but I don't think I am one of them. As such, I am stuck at 5.1.1 for the time being, and am proud to be an iOS Quintuplan.

Anyone else in this boat with me?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

*raises hand*

Moi. My iPhone is on iOS 5 still while the iPad is on the latest version of iOS 6. Works out well for me. I'm in the same boat as you, really. I didn't see anything I wanted in the new OS and as time went on and problems came up I wanted to change less and less.

Might wait until the next iteration before updating, assuming of course that my iPhone 4 will still be supported by then.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I used to be nervous about updating as in the past some apps didnt seem to work. But now i just update whenever theres a big red 1 telling me theres an update available, havent had any problems with apps not working.

Dont mind about the maps issue, i just download Googlemaps/youtube apps and use those.

As for 'change' i'm fine about change, if we all feared change we'll still be playing on a Genesis/SNES ! Change is good, we're all grown men, dont be scared !
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Haha, I wish. Im still on 4.3.3
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

i'm still using 3.1.3 on my old iPhone, lol.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Usually I update my iPhone and iPad immediately when a new update is available, but when Apple unveiled iOS 6 last year, the negatives of updating far outweighed the positives for me.

The excision of Google's Maps and the YouTube app were my main reasons for not updating. I know Google has their own Maps app on the App Store, as well as an official YouTube app available for download, but I am not a fan of change, and I heard Google's app for Maps has a different interface.

And as far as YouTube goes, videos sure do load faster on the Google app, but I don't appreciate having ads on my videos, and watching videos over 3G is like watching a movie through a window in Silent Hill... aka, it's blurry as hell.

And what does the app add? It changes the interface for the App Store, it adds Passbook, and wow, even Facebook integration! I totally wanted to use all these features.

I'm sure there are those out there that really enjoy these changes/additions in iOS 6, but I don't think I am one of them. As such, I am stuck at 5.1.1 for the time being, and am proud to be an iOS Quintuplan.

Anyone else in this boat with me?
My reasons:

1: I hate the way the app store looks; as in the bottom menu and top, the actual page looks ok.

2: lack of youtube app doesn't bother me because of Jasmine. However, my 3GS is getting old and i don't want to update just yet to ios 6 and have some lag, some said it is better on this device but i want to wait for at least another .1 update.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Well I am but that's more because my 3rd gen iPod isn't capable of more but I will say that after the fiasco of the IOS 5 update I had on it which took around 5 hours and still wiped out all my data I don't think I'd have installed 6 anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer123 View Post
My reasons:

1: I hate the way the app store looks; as in the bottom menu and top, the actual page looks ok.

2: lack of youtube app doesn't bother me because of Jasmine. However, my 3GS is getting old and i don't want to update just yet to ios 6 and have some lag, some said it is better on this device but i want to wait for at least another .1 update.
I have iOS 6.0.1 on my 3GS and it runs fine. Will 6.1 be supported on the 3GS?

It might actually not be a good idea to have the last iOS update that your iPhone supports. My 3G became super laggy after doing so, so you might want to update your 3GS before the 6.0.2 updates get replaced by 6.1.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Ios 6.0.1 made a lot of my console like games run better like Virtua Tennis and a lot of others. I would recommend upgrading if you want better framerates in your high end games.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

The Facebook integration is one of my favourite things about the update. Now I can sign in via apps without having to enter my details every single time. Looking forward to iOS 7 too, I hope they give us the ability to read and reply to iMessage via the notifications panel so I don't have to keep switching apps.