Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Apparently Anonymous Hacked US Dept. of Justice's Website

Over the Reddit co-founder suicide and other "digital freedom" stuff. They're threatening to release all kinds of "embarrassing" documents if their demands aren't met, so this could be interesting.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm going to put this as politely as I can: Anonymous are idiots.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
They hacked westboro baptist church so they are great in my opinion
If that's all it takes to get into your good books then I'll stop the murder of a minority on my way to strangle a child.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Very well. Then I shall state my case more clearly.

1. They aren't a group, a physicist would probably describe their formation as chaos.

2. You have no idea who's behind any of the attacks. Do you really want your country's secrets in the hands of some greasy 15 year-old kid? Should it be his decision whether or not they go public?

3. Vigilantism is dangerous, full stop. Look at how much misinformation is spread as news breaks these days.

4. They want DDoS made a legal form of protest. There are so many reasons this is stupid I won't even bother to list them.

5. Related to 4, they block access to services regular people like you and I want and need. We get no say in what they do, yet they claim to be acting on our behalf.

6. They think being a part of "la revolución" somehow means they're always correct and every action they take is justified. Nobody is above the law. If you don't like them you can try to have them repealed or reformed, merely breaking them leads to nothing but a breakdown in society and only enforces the need for laws in the first place.

7. They originated on 4chan. The virtual home of master trolls, perverts and pedos alike.

Note that in most cases I'm referring only to the people participating in hacking. Holding a legal protest in the street and wearing a Guy Fawkes mask is acceptable.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Was this the group that hacked Sony and caused so many PSN problems?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
So you think you know what's acceptable we'll geez maybe that should be your title on here. Also where are your facts to all that?
I would have thought most of the facts were obvious to anyone who keeps up to date on current events and has at least a passing knowledge of what it all means. What do you need clarified?

And yeah, they took the blame for Sony. That said, Anonymous isn't an organization, so it could easily be two, three or a hundred sets of completely unconnected people all acting under one banner. So they probably don't even share the same views or morals... one member of Anonymous is free to attack a buisness or institution that another member of Anonymous supports, which, if you apply logic to the situation, means that every single business and institution under the sun is at risk. It boils down to individuals attacking anything they don't like while giving the false impression they're acting under a majority belief. Unreliable and nonsensical.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong about Sony, it was Lulzsec who took the blame for that one. I almost forgot they'd ever existed. They were idiots too. Anon claimed to hack Sony again last year but it turned out to be a lie.

Last edited by MidianGTX; 01-26-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'm going to put this as politely as I can: Anonymous are idiots.
Watch what you say, they could hack TA...

lol

(and no, that was not an intentional rhyme)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hacking a government website is pretty serious stuff. I tend to side with Midian here.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

My opinion is Anonymous isn't so much a group as an umbrella or mask to hide behind I'd say probably less than 1% of the people who believe themselves members are capable of anything like this and they are really just using the others and the name as cover.

Anonymous have also done some not very noble things like the time they hacked epileptic boards to insert flashing images, I think the problem is they can be different members day by day and about half of them like to think they are political the other half just want lulz.

I also don't think Gov sites being hacked is really a big deal I'd be willing to bet this happens almost weekly but anonymous gives the media something to spin the story with.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

The US has just announced that cyber war on them has officially begun. Oh sure, Anon can attack others just fine, but once they pick on you suddenly it's serious!