★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apparently Anonymous Hacked US Dept. of Justice's Website

01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Apparently Anonymous Hacked US Dept. of Justice's Website

Over the Reddit co-founder suicide and other "digital freedom" stuff. They're threatening to release all kinds of "embarrassing" documents if their demands aren't met, so this could be interesting.
01-26-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm going to put this as politely as I can: Anonymous are idiots.

01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'm going to put this as politely as I can: Anonymous are idiots.
They hacked westboro baptist church so they are great in my opinion
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
They hacked westboro baptist church so they are great in my opinion
If that's all it takes to get into your good books then I'll stop the murder of a minority on my way to strangle a child.
01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
If that's all it takes to get into your good books then I'll stop the murder of a minority on my way to strangle a child.
What child did Anon strangle?
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Look at the wiki and look at the good they actually did http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Sorry but going against that...well sorry but that's a lost one. Anonymous is a great group
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Very well. Then I shall state my case more clearly.

1. They aren't a group, a physicist would probably describe their formation as chaos.

2. You have no idea who's behind any of the attacks. Do you really want your country's secrets in the hands of some greasy 15 year-old kid? Should it be his decision whether or not they go public?

3. Vigilantism is dangerous, full stop. Look at how much misinformation is spread as news breaks these days.

4. They want DDoS made a legal form of protest. There are so many reasons this is stupid I won't even bother to list them.

5. Related to 4, they block access to services regular people like you and I want and need. We get no say in what they do, yet they claim to be acting on our behalf.

6. They think being a part of "la revolución" somehow means they're always correct and every action they take is justified. Nobody is above the law. If you don't like them you can try to have them repealed or reformed, merely breaking them leads to nothing but a breakdown in society and only enforces the need for laws in the first place.

7. They originated on 4chan. The virtual home of master trolls, perverts and pedos alike.

Note that in most cases I'm referring only to the people participating in hacking. Holding a legal protest in the street and wearing a Guy Fawkes mask is acceptable.
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Very well. Then I shall state my case more clearly.

1. They aren't a group, a physicist would probably describe their formation as chaos.

2. You have no idea who's behind any of the attacks. Do you really want your country's secrets in the hands of some greasy 15 year-old kid? Should it be his decision whether or not they go public?

3. Vigilantism is dangerous, full stop. Look at how much misinformation is spread as news breaks these days.

4. They want DDoS made a legal form of protest. There are so many reasons this is stupid I won't even bother to list them.

5. Related to 4, they block access to services regular people like you and I want and need. We get no say in what they do, yet they claim to be acting on our behalf.

6. They think being a part of "la revolución" somehow means they're always correct and every action they take is justified. Nobody is above the law. If you don't like them you can try to have them repealed or reformed, merely breaking them leads to nothing but a breakdown in society and only enforces the need for laws in the first place.

7. They originated on 4chan. The virtual home of master trolls, perverts and pedos alike.

Note that in most cases I'm referring only to the people participating in hacking. Holding a legal protest in the street and wearing a Guy Fawkes mask is acceptable.
So you think you know what's acceptable we'll geez maybe that should be your title on here. Also where are your facts to all that?
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Was this the group that hacked Sony and caused so many PSN problems?
01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Was this the group that hacked Sony and caused so many PSN problems?
Wasn't on wiki and didn't see it on yahoo.
Also something of theirs wasn't up to date so that falls onto sony's fault

Last edited by bramblett05; 01-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.